Anyone know the rules on exhaust?

95Stealth302

Established Member
I'm sure it varies state to state, but what are your takes on the rules governing where your exhaust outlet can be placed. Not that I'm worried about passing inspection or anything, but I'm just wondering so it's not something I have to deal with. I like routing exhaust out the rear, and out the side. I believe the rear leads to more power, and side looks cool, but I'd like to just put turndowns right after the mufflers, all concealed like. I like the clean look the best on a lowered SN95 body. Some states say that you must have at least some distance away from your vehicle and whatnot, has anyone ran into this problem ever?

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
Do NOT use turn-downs. Legality aside, a street car should not have an exhaust that terminates under the body of a car. The cabon monoxide can, and will seep up through while operating the vehicle and put you to sleep permanently.

95Stealth302

Established Member
maybe in traffic for an hour, but not if your driving and they're pointing diagonally towards the outside of the car. I might just make some extension pipes and weld them up.

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
You asked a question, obviously you don't like the answer. But, it doesn't change the truth. You have no idea what those gases will do or where they will go underneath your car. There is no guarantee that even while moving those gases will not end up in the passenger compartment. And, you won't have a clue that carbon monoxide is in the passenger compartment, because it is odorless and colorless. If you're lucky, you'll just get headaches, and realize the mistake you've made. Then again, not everyone is lucky.
I gave you advice to try and keep you healthy, you can take it or not, but don't even attempt to suggest that what you're thinking of doing is in any way safe.

Fred

tistan

Established Member
I ran dumps on my 95 gt for 3 years and never had problems. It was my daily driver. I checked the law when I ran mine and it stated that the end of the exhaust must be within 6 inches of the rear end.

97Stangv6

Distractions suck....
Established Member
I run dumps with no turndowns and i've never felt anything and i Always have the windows down. Maybe once in a while i will smell the exhaust as i have no cats but it's very seldom.

EDIT: Mines a DD also.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Check local laws first.

In regards to running turndowns, I've had several friends with DD cars with them. None have experienced any troubles. I would suggest turning them each inboard, this will help not to stir up so much dust, but also help quieten them to a degree.

Users who are viewing this thread