Anyone made their stock reverse cowl hood functional?

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
I lost the little plastic piece that covers the hole, but it got me thinking about making it functional instead as a heat extractor like the 03/04 Cobras. Has anyone done this to this style hood (stock I mean)? Will that mean that water will run down on the motor on a regular basis, or is it far forward enough that the water mostly hits the timing cover area and NOT drip into the coil area?

RyanApfel

Established Member
I'd be interested in this too. I had a 2000 v6 previously and I took the fake hood scoop and cut that out and put a metal grate in to keep big stuff out. It worked well. The cobra extractor hole is much smaller tho it would be hard to cut out...

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
THANK YOU for the link, I couldn't find anything on searches here and on Google except for the more common front-facing GT hood scoop and making it functional.

Do they make 03/04 Cobra hoods that will fit correctly, or am I just thinking of the 03/04 Cobra front bumper? If so I'd consider using one of those hoods, just as long as I can keep my stock front bumper, which looks better IMO.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
Do they make 03/04 Cobra hoods that will fit correctly, or am I just thinking of the 03/04 Cobra front bumper? If so I'd consider using one of those hoods, just as long as I can keep my stock front bumper, which looks better IMO.

Cervini's makes an '03-'04 style hood that mates properly with a V6/GT/99-01 cobra bumper. I have one on my car. I'd send you pics but it's currently getting the hood painted. :banana:

It's NOT a cheap hood though!

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
Cervini's makes an '03-'04 style hood that mates properly with a V6/GT/99-01 cobra bumper. I have one on my car. I'd send you pics but it's currently getting the hood painted. :banana:

It's NOT a cheap hood though!

As in, more than a Cervini's or HO Fibertrends '95 R hood? (my second choice)

On the subject of hoods, has anyone found anything online or made their own custom hood hinges? I'd like to be able to lift the hood WAY up for more room when working and more light when just looking at the engine or looking. Obviously at a certain point the edges of the hood hit the plastic cowling and I really don't want to have to notch the cowling to allow the hood to go back more.

Oh yea, and why is there a ground strap on the hood???

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You don't need new hinges to raise the hood. You need to replace the prop rod with struts, like on the tailgate of a mini van. Lots of places sell kits, or you caftan your own with parts from an auto parts store.

98_Undertaker

Established Member
I cut my plastic piece a long time ago (pics below). I've toyed with the idea of doing something similar to what racebronco has been doing just with the 99/01 hood and moving the coolant tank to the battery location and battery to the trunk.

IMG_0309.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
You don't need new hinges to raise the hood. You need to replace the prop rod with struts, like on the tailgate of a mini van. Lots of places sell kits, or you caftan your own with parts from an auto parts store.

I've seen the redline tuning kits but will they raise the hood as far as possible or do they just go as far as the stock prop rod does?

I cut my plastic piece a long time ago (pics below). I've toyed with the idea of doing something similar to what racebronco has been doing just with the 99/01 hood and moving the coolant tank to the battery location and battery to the trunk.

I plan on getting rid of the coolant tank anyway and using a traditional setup with a rad cap on the crossover and a relocated reservoir, but is it required when doing this mod?

Last edited:

98_Undertaker

Established Member
On what I have now no but with the hood cut, dropped and opened like some of racebronco's I'm sure it would help cooling even more since there would be no obstruction between the radiator and opening in the hood.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
If you do this be sure that the expansion tank is the highest point in the system. If you look at it the stock expansion tank is higher than the crossover tube. This keeps the crossover tube full of coolant.
I relocated the expansion tank to the battery location and even used a marauder expansion tank but it sat lower than the coolant crossover tube. I've since switched to a cobra r degas bottle with a catch can in the driverside fender well.

With a bracket of some sorts I'm sure the marauder overflow would work it looks good as its a square overflow tank and sits in the corner of the engine bay nicely. $30 plus shipping

Last edited:

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
If you do this be sure that the expansion tank is the highest point in the system. If you look at it the stock expansion tank is higher than the crossover tube. This keeps the crossover tube full of coolant.
I relocated the expansion tank to the battery location and even used a marauder expansion tank but it sat lower than the coolant crossover tube. I've since switched to a cobra r degas bottle with a catch can in the driverside fender well.

With a bracket of some sorts I'm sure the marauder overflow would work it looks good as its a square overflow tank and sits in the corner of the engine bay nicely. $30 plus shipping

Is the case with using a pressurized cooling system and regular overflow, ie. 79-93 5.0 cars, or is it still like the 94-04 cars that use a pressurized overflow?

Trip

Seasoned Snake Charmer
Established Member
I cut my hood&scoop out too......just used an oscillating tool.....looks good from top and from bottom.....and def can see the heat rolling out of it when its all warmed up.....Ill try to find the pics of the process and repost them again.....

JAA55

Established Member
I had a stock low mileage 99 convertible and it was functional? I found out when it was wrecked and put a v6 hood on it that was identical minus the cut out. In the hood, even the factory black trim for the vent was made slightly different the the v6s trim. There was no cut out in the hood liner though on the original cobra hood

98_Undertaker

Established Member

I like the idea of the degas bottle as well, just wish they weren't so expensive and hard to find. Do you have any cooling issues running it vs the expansion tank?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I've seen the redline tuning kits but will they raise the hood as far as possible or do they just go as far as the stock prop rod does?

I plan on getting rid of the coolant tank anyway and using a traditional setup with a rad cap on the crossover and a relocated reservoir, but is it required when doing this mod?

Much higher. Plus you don't have to work around the prop rod. If you make your kit rather than buy it, you can make it go as high as you want. Just get longer pistons.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I like the idea of the degas bottle as well, just wish they weren't so expensive and hard to find. Do you have any cooling issues running it vs the expansion tank?

I bought a used one off ebay and bought a new cap from the Ford Dealer. The problem is finding the adapters that mate the hoses off the degas bottle to the hoses on the radiator and the thermostat housing. I finally gave up looking and made my own out of aluminum stock that I turned down on my lathe. They work great and allowed me a very clean almost stock Cobra R setup appearance.

Ive thought about making them in a kit so this will be a plug and play setup for folks but right now I have a race car to get running. After that if theres interest I may run a few sets.

As for beating on the car I pound on it like rented pussy. The car runs about 200° on track at race tempo. The biggest cooling mod I did was to install a deeper air dam underneath the radiator. This dropped temps by about 10-15°, car didnt have an air dam at all previously so that air dam under the car does serve an important purpose

Users who are viewing this thread