Anyone make a big purchase from Amazon.com?

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
I am thinking of buying a T.V. and have purchased small items from them before but nothing on the scale of an LCD TV. Anyone have any experience with items of this type being purchased from Amazon.com?

Thanks,
P&V

mcdover

Established Member
I am thinking of buying a T.V. and have purchased small items from them before but nothing on the scale of an LCD TV. Anyone have any experience with items of this type being purchased from Amazon.com?

Thanks,
P&V

HELL NO! I was considering this with my TV purchase and after reading the terms, I quickly looked elsewhere. It is your responsibilty to make sure that no damage occured during shipping. Seen or unseen. If you sign for the delivery and take possesion and then find that it's broke, too bad. I've got some emails between me and one of Amazon's dealers confirming this. Sorry, but the potential saving of a few bucks is not worth the risk.

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
I bought my tv from newegg.com thanks to suggestions from this forum. Check it out. Arrived at my door step two days after ordering and got free shipping. Plus the same tv was cheaper than on Amazon.

Thursday

Tu ne cede malis
Established Member
I purchased my LCD from them a few years back and it went very well. Check it over for any obvious damage (like you would any other purchase). If there's something wrong down the road call the manufacture.

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
I purchased a 56" TV from them a couple years ago and it arrived without incident. No complaints and I'll likely order my next TV from them too.

Satyr

Established Member
I bought my tv from newegg.com thanks to suggestions from this forum. Check it out. Arrived at my door step two days after ordering and got free shipping. Plus the same tv was cheaper than on Amazon.

I also bought my TV from Newegg...they have great customer service, I received free shipping and it was the best price on the TV that I could find anywhere. I highly recommend them.

I purchased my LCD from them a few years back and it went very well. Check it over for any obvious damage (like you would any other purchase). If there's something wrong down the road call the manufacture.

I can attest to Amazon's shipping quality. Their shipments are very well packaged and I have never had a problem with any of my orders through them. Plus, their shipping rates are usually very reasonable. I recommend them as well.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Made many large and expensive purchases including a TV through Amazon and never had an issue. Large items like TV's get delivered by carriers other than UPS or FedEx so they don't just get ding-dong-ditched at the door like regular deliveries. The policy with these guys has always been to fully examine the delivery before signing/accepting it.

U.M.

txyaloo

Established Member
HELL NO! I was considering this with my TV purchase and after reading the terms, I quickly looked elsewhere. It is your responsibilty to make sure that no damage occured during shipping. Seen or unseen. If you sign for the delivery and take possesion and then find that it's broke, too bad. I've got some emails between me and one of Amazon's dealers confirming this. Sorry, but the potential saving of a few bucks is not worth the risk.

You said it yourself. Amazon's dealers. If you purchase directly from Amazon and not one of their dealers, you should have no problems.

rudyyr

Established Member
bought my plasma directly from amazon..they placed it inside my house(white glove delivery) and free shipping..no problems whatsoever..

mcdover

Established Member
You said it yourself. Amazon's dealers. If you purchase directly from Amazon and not one of their dealers, you should have no problems.

I guess I should've been more specific. When I was looking for a TV, Amazon had it listed with one of their dealers. Amazon did not have an option to buy this particular tv directly from them. I emailed back and forth with "Your Deal" and was told that if any damage, seen or unseen, had to be documented at the time of delivery. So basically they expected me to unbox the tv, look it all over, then hook it up, turn it on, and make sure it worked BEFORE signing for it. I don't know of ANY delivery company that's going to let you do that.

txyaloo

Established Member
I guess I should've been more specific. When I was looking for a TV, Amazon had it listed with one of their dealers. Amazon did not have an option to buy this particular tv directly from them. I emailed back and forth with "Your Deal" and was told that if any damage, seen or unseen, had to be documented at the time of delivery. So basically they expected me to unbox the tv, look it all over, then hook it up, turn it on, and make sure it worked BEFORE signing for it. I don't know of ANY delivery company that's going to let you do that.

I make sure when I buy anything it's directly from Amazon. If it's one of their dealers offering it, I normally go elsewhere. You normally can't beat Amazon's customer service, free two day shipping, etc.

silverstang23

Established Member
I find that you can usually buy big items like that cheaper from the store that amazon is using then on Amazon. Most of their stuff is sold from vendors and amazon has to make some money so they mark the prices up. Maybe worth a try.

It saved my $80 on the lens i bought a few weeks ago

piss&vinegar

Seek and Destroy
Established Member
Well, I just went to the bestbuy near me and they had the TV I wanted cheaper than online and even with tax it was still cheaper. I ended up getting the KDL-52XBR9 for 1,498.00. A few weeks ago that same TV was 1938.00. I could not believe the deal so I jumped on it.

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
Made many large and expensive purchases including a TV through Amazon and never had an issue. Large items like TV's get delivered by carriers other than UPS or FedEx so they don't just get ding-dong-ditched at the door like regular deliveries. The policy with these guys has always been to fully examine the delivery before signing/accepting it.

U.M.
+1

My buddy works for EGL and they deliver mostly Amazon & Home Shopping Network tvs. I've helped him on a few occasions when e got really busy (Christmas) and we always deliver, unpack and make sure it works before we leave.

Users who are viewing this thread