Anyone modify the straight 6 for fun?

Mr. OAM

Established Member
I have a 1993 F-150 Flareside Supercab and it has the 4.9L inline 6 cylinder and 5-speed. This engine is cammed and the truck geared for low RPM. I was wondering if anyone here has modified this engine to make it more like a performance engine? Yeah, it's only got 6 cylinders but it is practically a 302 (300 actual cu. in's.). With the long stroke I figure it has potential.

Steve

BAFRAID

VERY AFRAID
Established Member
SPRAY IT!!!! No really, I have no idea. It just seems like the greatest thing for ANY engine these days is the spray. Good luck mang....

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Contact Rick@Amazon, I know he can tune them. You have a great engine there and there's a lot of potential to work with.

Mr. OAM

Established Member
Contact Rick@Amazon, I know he can tune them. You have a great engine there and there's a lot of potential to work with.

I am sure a tune would improve things but it won't change the cam timing events and air flow, and also I don't know what the head flow capabilities are in this engine. I was wondering if anyone had any experience building this engine for more mid range?

Steve

Silver '01 L

C'MON, ...BRUH!
Established Member
Put a turbo on at low boost. They make gobs of torque.
Search the net. There's a ton of stuff.

Last edited:

golden_eye

All show and no go
Established Member
Wow that's some crazy stuff. I've never had the intention but I was always curious what the good old 300 was capable of. I don't really have the know-how or the time/money to do some of the stuff those guys are doing. Having close to 300k on my truck doesn't help my feelings of how it would hold with the extra power.

I looked through that thread and the guy with the turbo was dynoing around 250hp and over 530 lb-ft of torque! Both at 3000 rpms with around 10 psi. Those engines are cammed for low rpm power and that shows it pretty well. My truck always felt sort of like driving a diesel-powered truck due to the low hp but relatively high torque. I guess that can be attributed to the bore being the same as the 302/351 and the stroke being longer than a 460!

Mr. OAM

Established Member
It is also that low RPM torque that makes them last almost as long as a diesel engine. Over the miles the engine doesn't have to spin as many times to go that far. My truck rarely sees above 3,000 RPM. I've only got about 104,000 miles on it. It was a very low mile truck when I got it.

At 70 MPH I am only turning 2,000 RPM.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread