Anyone own a Shifter-cart?

SVTsupremecy

Established Member
Me and my Brother have been throwing the idea around of getting a shifter-cart for some fun on the weekends. Does anyone have one and what do you think? we were looking for something around $3,000 to play around with. Fortunately my brother and his boss are both mechanics so we can piece it together and build it ourselves if we decide to go that route. Any good sites we should know of or anything we should stay away from? brands ...etc.

bullitt1672

Established Member
What do you mean by fun on the weekends? If you mean going to the track, expect to be paying alot of $$ and forget about having a budget. I don't race karts, but do race motocross and i've been told that kart racing is alot more expensive than mx and that isn't cheap...but thats just what ive been told.

Demonicbird00

10 second club
Established Member
karting is way cheaper then motox

ive been racing karts for about 20yrs now.

and actually my brother in law is selling an 08' intrepid shifter w/ a stock honda 125cc for 3500...

btw your not gonna find many places thats gonna let a beginner run one of the fastest sprint classes...

personally you have more fun and get alot of experience if you start out w/ a 125cc TaG kart

heres some links

forum eKartingNews.com :: Index

organization WKA - World Karting Association - Largest sanctioning body for (go) kart racing in North America. 2-Cycle, 4-Cycle, Sprint, Oval (dirt & pavement), and Road Racing
organization International Kart Federation

i run in the WKA National Road Race Series

heres mine

heres me racing at Mid Ohio back in 08.... when the race starts, im on the right side #27 at the start of the race
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtrMTmspLHI"]YouTube- Mid Ohio 2008 WKA Grand Nationals B Stock[/nomedia]

enjoy
brandon

Monster Mach

Established Member
even tag is crazy expensive.... i raced sr sportsman cheaper class and it was a blast... but youll be going through tires to be compettive.. 500 for a set... snapping chains.. 40 bucks.. chaning oil(if wet clutch) 30 a quart gas and oil for gas so about 30 for the race. plus registration for each race.. some up to 50 bucks... i love the karting tho it was a blast
i used a tony kart... built in the thousands and built well but for 2500 a kart in sr sportsman u should be ok

Last edited:

Monster Mach

Established Member
500 for a set of tires???

their only about $50 a piece and they last a few weekends, depending on track and temp
thats what it was lol i forgot we bought for two karts lmao
we replaced them every single race because obviously after there first used they loose stickyness and softener is banned

Chris _Scott

NA FTW
Established Member
Couple of my friends run those karts nationally...here is one of them.

47428_10150273280325313_896030312_14250556_5809318_n.jpg

Pretty bad ass karts for sure!

Won the IKF Gran National Championship this year.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Me and my Brother have been throwing the idea around of getting a shifter-cart for some fun on the weekends. Does anyone have one and what do you think? we were looking for something around $3,000 to play around with. Fortunately my brother and his boss are both mechanics so we can piece it together and build it ourselves if we decide to go that route. Any good sites we should know of or anything we should stay away from? brands ...etc.
my brother can point you to the right direction, lol i go with him we both race, but he takes it a lot more serious then i do.
we both run birel chassis with a 125icc CRS motor (i think ICC is now called kz1 or something).

funny you start this thread, my brother actually organized this thursday's first time in a LONG time's running of shifter karts (125 class) @ laguna seca. im excited as hell, we are sharing the track with cars and bikes. at different times of course!!!

i can get some more info for you tomorrow. but for anyone saying that its expensive, it gets up there. the karts we run are about 10k each. no joke, i just wish my brother would get into road car racing. (track a z06)

Demonicbird00

10 second club
Established Member
Serpent, whats awsome is running the road courses w/ karts. in most cases the yamaha sportsman class is faster then alot of cars.

i wanted to go out to Leguna for a rental but they said no enduros (bastards) just 125s and superkarts

shame you guys arent closer, theres a national race sept 17-19 at NJMP

Demonicbird00

10 second club
Established Member
got one better....a guy from GA put a gsxr motor on an enduro. At VIR on the back straight was clocked at 175 mph

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MI1obFl4bw"]YouTube- santa kart[/nomedia]

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
Never raced shifter but I did run the WKA Speedway pavement series a few years back. It can get expensive but not too bad. lol. I never had to pick up the bill, I was just a hired gun so to speak lol

Demonicbird00

10 second club
Established Member
twin 125cc motos wouldnt work, unless it was a tag which ive seen.

the fastest legal karts are the superkarts w/ either a 250twin engine or those euro 250s like the Gas Gas

straightliner1

Established Member
the fastest legal karts are the superkarts w/ either a 250twin engine or those euro 250s like the Gas Gas

No need when you can put two 125 motors on them and hit 190+.

got one better....a guy from GA put a gsxr motor on an enduro. At VIR on the back straight was clocked at 175 mph

170+ on/in a cart? You guys are STUPID! I mean that as in "wow, look at the huge balls he has stupid" :)

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Serpent, whats awsome is running the road courses w/ karts. in most cases the yamaha sportsman class is faster then alot of cars.

i wanted to go out to Leguna for a rental but they said no enduros (bastards) just 125s and superkarts

shame you guys arent closer, theres a national race sept 17-19 at NJMP
ive personally raced at infineon raceway's track (sports config what ALMS used) 3 times, and this will be my first time at laguna. its not really a race this time around, just some sessions throughout the day. i cant wait till tomorrow!!!

the 250cc super karts are really fast, i think they are close to being GT1 speed (old c6r, s7r, aston martin dbr6).

Demonicbird00

10 second club
Established Member
yeah the record i think for a kart is 1:23.xx thats moving

im in one of the fastest classes unlimited and b-stock and at Road America i ran 2:29.xx and the fast guy of the weekend Tris ran a 2:14

one day ill get into one

have fun tomorrow and be safe!!

Users who are viewing this thread