Anyone owned a diesel jetta?

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
Looking at a 2002 TDI Jetta, anyone thats owned one had any issues with these?

Started a new job last week and its going to be alot of traveling, ive read these jettas can see 50+ mpg on the highway.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
My parts guy owns one.
The only problem he has had is the battery. Seems the diesel really kills the battery (starting).

Otherwise he loves his.

E

tommygun

Established Member
VERY important to make sure the timing belt and tensioner have been changed or have it changed if service was not done. I spent 450 to have mine done.

Fuel and air filters ever 20k miles. Napa brand seem to work well

Lube the sunroof tracks every couple months if it has one

adding a exhaust does nothing on the tdi lol

if its a 5spd and needs a clutch, switch to a single flywheel vs the dual mass it helps mpg and longevitiy

YJSONLY

Established Member
Don't that era of Jetta's have flywheel issues? If I recall correctly a buddy of mines dad has one. Just something to keep in mind.

tommygun

Established Member
They have a dual mass flywheel that can have issues, so if its not been changed and is in need of a clutch putting a solid flywheel in there is the best bet. Its also cheaper haha

starnsey

Established Member
Not a Jetta, but I do have a 2001 Golf TDI. With the automatic I get 40 mpg. I really wish I had a manual. They're the ones that tend to get 50+ and the auto in this car sucks ass. Every once in a while, between the 2nd and 3rd shift, the car bucks as if its slamming on the brakes real quickly. Almost as if the transmission thinks about shifting to third, but then doesn't, but then decides that it will. Can be really annoying. Then again, the car has 205k miles on it...

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
I had a 2004 TDI i LOVED IT!
BUY A VAG-COM immediately.. you can't do shit without one.

Buy a manual transmission only.

Ran 1oz of ashless 2 stroke oil in per gallon. And did the muffler ectomy mod (chop muffler off) and added a different intake.

Took the actual intake off and cleaned it very well... Ran so damn good. I drove to ocean city from Charlotte hall at 75-80mph the whole way and averaged 48mpg..

My worst tank was in winter got some shit fuel and got 37mpg.

Best tank was hypermilling i got 52mpg. (coasting down hills) no warming up (15sec tops)
Letting of throttle coming to intersection and coasting to prolong my time instead of stopping and going.

All in all excellent little car. But. I have a size 14 shoe and euro pedals hate me. Almost rear ended a car on a bridge sold it next day

oldbones

The blue bowtie
Established Member
Great cars, been wrench on these now for a couple years. Timing belt replacements are expensive and steer clear of the automatics.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
My brother owns a manual 2012 TDI sedan and my girlfriend owns an automatic 2011 TDI wagon. They are both great cars. My brother hasn't had a single issue thus far and my girl has gone through one battery (it was the original 3 years old battery) and occasionally has a strange buck from the automatic transmission under light acceleration. They both regularly get 40+ mpg mix, but the manual tranny edges out the auto for obvious reasons. I'd say no matter what, get a manual. I personally love the look of the wagon.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
My brother owns a manual 2012 TDI sedan and my girlfriend owns an automatic 2011 TDI wagon. They are both great cars. My brother hasn't had a single issue thus far and my girl has gone through one battery (it was the original 3 years old battery) and occasionally has a strange buck from the automatic transmission under light acceleration. They both regularly get 40+ mpg mix, but the manual tranny edges out the auto for obvious reasons. I'd say no matter what, get a manual. I personally love the look of the wagon.
Love the wagon

GodStang

Established Member
I have a 2012 TDi and a month later my dad loved it so much he bought himself a 2012 TDi and then about 3 months later my good buddy liked it so much he also bought one. Great power and great gas mileage. I have the DSG auto because of the wife.

sleek98

Established Member
In the 2002 style, DO NOT get an auto, plan on a new battery every year, and get the Vag-com to turn the EGR all the down. Make sure the timing belt was changed or change it asap if they don't have records, drive from where they meet you to a shop to have it done. Better yet have them meet you at the shop purchase car there and leave it to be done.

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys, the one I was looking at sold yesterday, it was a manual too. Kind of looking into other options right now, im thinking something AWD might be a better idea considering the winters here.

Svtkidd23

#4THGEARMATTERS
Established Member
Thanks for the feedback guys, the one I was looking at sold yesterday, it was a manual too. Kind of looking into other options right now, im thinking something AWD might be a better idea considering the winters here.
Mine loved the snow... Heavy car

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
My parents have 2 tdi beetles, they retired the 98 with 300k on it and mom is having her 06 fixed after hitting a deer at 165k. The 98 was a chunk of crap but kept on going. Had the cel on for 290k miles. The 98 could squeeze over 50 mpg if you were careful. And I know bug/vs Jetta but every vw I've been around including my wife's passat of awesome in snow x

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
A friend has an 89 diesel Jetta that i think just rolled 420k kms. He's replaced a lot of parts and the thing is virtually now brand new, he won't get rid of it!

I got the wife a 2014 TDI Jetta with DSG, great car and fun to drive. I do get some pretty good deals as I work for the VW Group so I am a bit biased when it comes to VW, Audi and Porsche.

Last edited:

aarons04cobra

Established Member
Old co worker had one. I couldnt tell you specific issues but it was one problem after another for him. Maybe he got a lemon but I do see lots of electrical issues with some of the newer VW's that get traded in.

RubberDuck

You even lift?
Established Member
Appreciate all the advice guys, I was out of town all week and did some serious thinking. Going with a 2013 Taurus SHO, they are quick, AWD, and get good highway mileage for a big boat.

Troponin

Established Member
My in laws have a jetaa TDI. It's a 2008 and they love it. They take really good care of their vehicles in general, but have well over 100k on it and see it running another 100k+

Users who are viewing this thread