Anyone Paint Their Eaton Blower?

funmoneypit

Established Member
I tried to do a search but it came back as an error with too short or common. I am looking at a Steggy stage 5 ported blower. It is painted black but in need of a repaint. What is the best way to accomplish this besides powder coating? Engine paint, brake caliper paint? Any help is appreciated.

ctgreddy

Established Member
I painted mine black with regular engine paint. Held up pretty good. I just prepped mine with a scotch brite pad and then some simple green to clean it off. If yours is already painted and it's peeling you'll want to get as much of that off as you can before you paint it.

funmoneypit

Established Member
I painted mine black with regular engine paint. Held up pretty good. I just prepped mine with a scotch brite pad and then some simple green to clean it off. If yours is already painted and it's peeling you'll want to get as much of that off as you can before you paint it.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't seen the blower in person yet, just pics. It looks more like some chipping. I would still do a good prep job trying to remove as much as I can. I was contemplating a black theme under hood so this may work out well.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
call a local body shop to get a price to paint it. I bet they wouldn't charge more than a few hundred bucks. Worth paying since you will have issues if you just scotchbrite and paint over what is already on there.

mark23svt

Established Member
My car when bought already came with Eaton painted sonic blue. Not much help I guess sorry but I will tell
you it still looks good and he said it's been a while.

funmoneypit

Established Member
Thanks for the responses guys. I haven't decided if I am going to buy the ported Eaton or not but at least this gives me info on repainting if I do.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
call a local body shop to get a price to paint it. I bet they wouldn't charge more than a few hundred bucks. Worth paying since you will have issues if you just scotchbrite and paint over what is already on there.

Pay a few hundred bucks to paint a supercharger? A body shop charges 300-500 for a bumper cover which is way more prep. Plus they are going to use non high temp paint and you can go ahead and watch it flake.
Youll be fine. Scuff it up and use some high temp engine paint from a part store.

funmoneypit

Established Member
Pay a few hundred bucks to paint a supercharger? A body shop charges 300-500 for a bumper cover which is way more prep. Plus they are going to use non high temp paint and you can go ahead and watch it flake.
Youll be fine. Scuff it up and use some high temp engine paint from a part store.

Yes, I certainly wouldn't take it to a body shop. I have painted many engine blocks in the past so not that big of a deal. Prep for me will be dependent on the blower. Is it flaking or is the paint coming off because of nicking of some sort.

Again, I appreciate all the responses!

mavericks-03svt

Established Member

LOL. Base/Clear will hold up fine to the heat and would last a lot longer than rattle can high temp paint. Some of the shops here in Central Texas have custom painted BBQ pits including the fire boxes with auto paints that have been in use for years without problems. I can promise a BBQ pits fire box will get hotter than his Eaton. Rattle can paint would flake off in a very short time, I don't care how much prepping you do.

OP if you can paint an engine block then a blower should be no problem. I would get the blower powder coated if it was me, but if you are going to do it yourself go to your local paint supply store and get some good paint. Don't rattle can it and think it will look good forever because it won't.

funmoneypit

Established Member
LOL. Base/Clear will hold up fine to the heat and would last a lot longer than rattle can high temp paint. Some of the shops here in Central Texas have custom painted BBQ pits including the fire boxes with auto paints that have been in use for years without problems. I can promise a BBQ pits fire box will get hotter than his Eaton. Rattle can paint would flake off in a very short time, I don't care how much prepping you do.

OP if you can paint an engine block then a blower should be no problem. I would get the blower powder coated if it was me, but if you are going to do it yourself go to your local paint supply store and get some good paint. Don't rattle can it and think it will look good forever because it won't.
I appreciate the info. Why would you say a rattle can would not hold up? I have painted many engine blocks with a rattle can since the late '70's and never had an issue. Any block will see the same temps as my Eaton so not sure why it wouldn't hold up. I would never base/clear anything under the hood that is attached to the motor but that is just me. Please enlighten me as while I might be old, I am always ready to learn more. Thanks!

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I appreciate the info. Why would you say a rattle can would not hold up? I have painted many engine blocks with a rattle can since the late '70's and never had an issue. Any block will see the same temps as my Eaton so not sure why it wouldn't hold up. I would never base/clear anything under the hood that is attached to the motor but that is just me. Please enlighten me as while I might be old, I am always ready to learn more. Thanks!

your probably right the temps on the supercharger will probably be the same as the engine temps. If you prefer to rattle can the eaton I say go for it. I would go the powder coated route if it was me but my next option would be Spies Hecker or Sikkens paint over rattle can but that is just me. I don't have any scientific evidence to prove one is better than the other but I think if I had a choice of rattle canning a blower or base/clear, I know what I would chose just simply because I feel the base/clear would last a shit ton longer than rattle canning it not to mention it would look a lot better too. mark23svt said his was painted sonic blue. I am assuming it is with auto paint. mark23svt can you post a photo?

Bigggy

Established Member
Rattle can paint is the same paint than anyother automotive paint guys. Some paint will hold-up Headers temps...

Look at my Steggy stg5 painted with VHT wrinkle black in a rattle can

IMG_20140723_054601-1.jpg

IMG_20140809_173440.jpg

Did the valve covers to

IMG_20140730_220222.jpg

funmoneypit

Established Member
'
Rattle can paint is the same paint than anyother automotive paint guys. Some paint will hold-up Headers temps...

Look at my Steggy stg5 painted with VHT wrinkle black in a rattle can

Did the valve covers to
"

That looks great! I might think about doing the wrinkle finish myself.

Exactly, same stuff. You can even get the factory match paint in spray cans. Not a big deal to use a can.

Last edited:

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
I also agree that engine paint will work perfectly with normal prep work. I also agree that paying a few hundred dollars for someone else to paint it for you is just crazy. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread