Anyone pick up their 03 from the dealer with the nubs on the rear tires?

2003 Cobra

Established Member
Every 03 Cobra I've seen at the dealers has always been missing the nubs on the rear tires. All of the front tires have the nubs. At first I thought that maybe rear wheel drive cars stress the rear tires and wear the nubs but then I checked out a couple of other non-Cobra Mustangs and the rear tires had nubs on them. I even saw one 03 with only four miles on it with no nubs on the rear tires. I think the loaders are still doing giant burnouts on the 03 Cobras.

Fiveohdean

Established Member
Mine had 4.8 miles on it. Nubs on rear tires were gone. The two other 03s on the lot were missing their nubs as well. There were also about 15 GTs on the lot with the rear nubs missing. Seems like some one was having some fun at our expense.

T3 Cobra

Back in DSG
Established Member
Originally posted by Fiveohdean
Mine had 4.8 miles on it. Nubs on rear tires were gone. The two other 03s on the lot were missing their nubs as well. There were also about 15 GTs on the lot with the rear nubs missing. Seems like some one was having some fun at our expense.

I agree, mine had 1.3 miles on it upon arrival and the nubs were missing off the rear.

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
I had 7.7 miles... I checked the back and front tires... both had the same amount of "nubs"

For the record, after 350 miles, I've had no problems like the ones that have been reported here... could this be because my car wasn't hot-rodded before I got it? Who knows... it'd be interesting to see if there is a correlation...

IRON MACHINE

Established Member
Mine had 17miles, and the nubs were there. Although my uncle is one of the car hauler guys and made special arrangements to have the car delivered himself. He called me when it was dropped, and my salesman picked it up.

nicetry

Established Member
when i order mine, i think i will be sitting in the drivers
seat as it goes down the assembly line, like that TV commercial!
:) those should be my nubs to impregnate the road with
Jr

Petzuk

White Term
Established Member
I saw my '03 unloaded at the dealer.... It came with 10 miles on the odo... Nubs were present on the front and rears....

:beer:

Cobra03

Fordrarri
Established Member
3.4 miles when I picked it up. All nubs accounted for - front and rear. The sales manager parked it off the truck and did not let anyone touch it before I got there. I had never met the man before, ordered the car over the phone, and that was the service he delivered. Fantastic. Car is perfect except for some condensation in one taillight. New ones on the way.

ho779

Established Member
i think this is the best thread ever! a conversation about nubs...

I'm thinking maybe from the end of the plant, to the loading dock is 1/4 mile! Even new born babies get a good smack in the rear before giving them to their mama!

03 Red Cobra

Established Member
A couple of years ago I took a tour of the Honda Accord plant in Marysville, OH. At the end of the assembly line I noticed that every new Accord was driven away spinning the front tires. I would imagine that the same thing applies to all auto assembly plants and with the 03 Cobra's power, who could resist.

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I am buying a brand new 2003 Cobra and expect to get a virgin car. Just the thought of somebody doing burnouts on my car without my permission gets me mad!!! SVT said some loaders were fired for abusing the first run Cobras. I feel sorry for buyers who have glazed hot spots on their flywheels from day one and get clutch chatter later as a result of this early abuse that they were not aware of.

Terminator03

banned
Well listen to this.... it made me furious inside. I was shooting the bs with some random techs and porters while standing next to my car getting the oil changed at the local ford dealership. One of the younger guys told me with a nice smirk on his face "These things have some real power, I had one up to 115 before i turned around and brought her back in!" I feel so sorry for whoever purchased that car, getting totally raped for the first 5 miles. Oddly enough my car was the randomly pulled car by ford for different emmisions and other tests, and had a documented 20 some odd miles on it. REAR nubs were in tact and tires were in perfect condition. :dw:

dolphinron

Established Member
"At the end of the assembly line I noticed that every new Accord was driven away spinning the front tires."

Accords can spin the tires?

ho779

Established Member
Mine had 21 miles on it to start, however it runs fine, oh, no vibration, no pull. I would probably be pissed if I knew anyone beat the crap out of my car in those 10 miles, but what can ya do?

Cobra'03

Established Member
It is kind of like a girlfriend - if you are lucky, you can break em in gently and know the history - otherwise, you can assume she has seen some "rough trade" - like GF's, sometimes it is better not to know, and most definitely, not TO ASK!:)

Users who are viewing this thread