Anyone planning on this...?

Floof

McDoof
Established Member
I was just curious if any of you w/ the money to buy the new GT500 are going to buy it and take it straight to storage/your garage and leave it there for a long, long time.... I know there's got to be some car collectors here, so I'm just wodering...

No bashing on those that are going to do it, I think it's a wise financial move.

NVWSSV

Read It Upside Down
Established Member
I'll be driving mine in summer months but it will be in storage durning the winter.

magred

Established Member
Floof said:
I was just curious if any of you w/ the money to buy the new GT500 are going to buy it and take it straight to storage/your garage and leave it there for a long, long time.... I know there's got to be some car collectors here, so I'm just wodering...

No bashing on those that are going to do it, I think it's a wise financial move.
There is no way it will be a wise financial move to put a car with these kind of production numbers in storage as an investment. You would be better off putting your money in the stock market depending on your knowledge on which stocks to invest in or else a high yield CD or better yet into real estate. You could put this money towards a rental property and let someone else pay the mortgage when you rent it out. I'm not saying that this car won't be a great car for the money but it is rare that you find a newer car that will become a collector like some of the older muscle cars. Actually it has been documented that buying an older muscle car will yield a higher return on your investment. One of the few newer cars that I can recall that really turned out to be a collector was the Z8 from BMW. Another one was the incredible Porsche 959.

crazyhorse06

Established Member
NVWSSV said:
I'll be driving mine in summer months but it will be in storage durning the winter.
Same here. Iam keeping my old pickup for poor weather, but, the Shelby will get driven. that is what they are built for.

It is not a smart financial move. a smart move would be to pick it up later at a bargain when the muscle car era dies again and the cars are not worth much (it will happen). Then put the 40 grand in the stock market now and you will end up with a lot more money.

crispy23c

SVT Chupacabra
Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
Same here. Iam keeping my old pickup for poor weather, but, the Shelby will get driven. that is what they are built for.

It is not a smart financial move. a smart move would be to pick it up later at a bargain when the muscle car era dies again and the cars are not worth much (it will happen). Then put the 40 grand in the stock market now and you will end up with a lot more money.

Yup, exactly! Drive it in nice weather-spring, summer, & fall. F-150 for regular driving. Other than that, it's a very powerful paperweight! If they were making <2500 cars, that would be a different story...

91svtbird

Established Member
crispy23c said:
Yup, exactly! Drive it in nice weather-spring, summer, & fall. F-150 for regular driving. Other than that, it's a very powerful paperweight! If they were making <2500 cars, that would be a different story...

I agree,except my other ride is a 2001 lightning which I drive all year except

in the snow . I use my work truck on those occasions. It will have to be a nice day though for the Shelby to come out. :beer:

03cobragirl~ky

Established Member
magred said:
There is no way it will be a wise financial move to put a car with these kind of production numbers in storage as an investment. You would be better off putting your money in the stock market depending on your knowledge on which stocks to invest in or else a high yield CD or better yet into real estate. You could put this money towards a rental property and let someone else pay the mortgage when you rent it out. I'm not saying that this car won't be a great car for the money but it is rare that you find a newer car that will become a collector like some of the older muscle cars. Actually it has been documented that buying an older muscle car will yield a higher return on your investment. One of the few newer cars that I can recall that really turned out to be a collector was the Z8 from BMW. Another one was the incredible Porsche 959.

I agree 100% :)

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
I agree....future collector cars are a huge gamble.

It sounds silly now, but back then it was the hottest thing going....I bought a 96 Mystic Cobra brand new for $30,000.00. Hardly ever drove it, kept it under cover in the garage and the car was flawless. Ended up selling it about a year ago for only $15,000.00.

It, just like the GT500 was very rare (probably even more rare if you consider there was only about 2000 Mystic 96's made).

The Gt500 sounds very cool right now (so did my Mystic at the time) but let a few body style changes come around and some new higher HP motors....the Gt500 will be worth 1/2 of sticker 10 years later just like my Mystic was.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that if I hung onto it for another 10 years it might start raising in value. But, who really wants to keep and store something of that much value for 20 years? I believe the right stocks/bonds would way outperform the "collector car" investment over that time period.

In the future, some might come along....but look at todays 'collector car" market. I'd guess the top two, within reasonable pricing ranges would be mid 60's mustangs and late 60's camaro's. Look at how many years those cars have been the basic 'collector car' and no other cars have replaced them.

Also, look at all of the other "best available at the time" Mustangs have hit the market. (Saleens, Cobra's, Roushes)....they have all been forgotten.

Maybe I'm all wrong...but all signs point to the GT500 being just another cool car as the clock ticks along and newer cars come out.

drmustang

Banned
WOLFGANGSTA said:
I agree....future collector cars are a huge gamble.

It sounds silly now, but back then it was the hottest thing going....I bought a 96 Mystic Cobra brand new for $30,000.00. Hardly ever drove it, kept it under cover in the garage and the car was flawless. Ended up selling it about a year ago for only $15,000.00.

It, just like the GT500 was very rare (probably even more rare if you consider there was only about 2000 Mystic 96's made).

The Gt500 sounds very cool right now (so did my Mystic at the time) but let a few body style changes come around and some new higher HP motors....the Gt500 will be worth 1/2 of sticker 10 years later just like my Mystic was.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying that if I hung onto it for another 10 years it might start raising in value. But, who really wants to keep and store something of that much value for 20 years? I believe the right stocks/bonds would way outperform the "collector car" investment over that time period.

In the future, some might come along....but look at todays 'collector car" market. I'd guess the top two, within reasonable pricing ranges would be mid 60's mustangs and late 60's camaro's. Look at how many years those cars have been the basic 'collector car' and no other cars have replaced them.

Also, look at all of the other "best available at the time" Mustangs have hit the market. (Saleens, Cobra's, Roushes)....they have all been forgotten.

Maybe I'm all wrong...but all signs point to the GT500 being just another cool car as the clock ticks along and newer cars come out.

Excellent points. What is percieved as the hottest item on wheels today quickly becomes old news and a once was offering eclipsed by the next latest greatest ever. This is a cylce that repeats itself over and over.

Remember the bombshell C5 ZO6s that guys paid 60 grand or more for? Where are they now? You can grab the early ones in the 20s.

You really need to use your head with this stuff. These factory hot rods have collapsable market value.

repsol

Established Member
I'm going to pretend to buy one and pretend to put it away in my
garage.Then in a few years I'm going to post how this rich dude wanted
my car and I quadrupled my money.Sound good??????????

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
Floof said:

the way they mass produce stuff nowadays, no way! if you have to finance that car, theres another 12-15 grand in juice over 5 years. not counting the money to maintain it( you'll still have to change the oil now and then, coolant every 4 or 5 years, fire and theft insurance, maintain the battery. etc.,storage and probably lots more than i have mentioned, your looking at least double your investment. that 40 grand will make you alot more if invested wisely. it's not a cobra r...even those wont make money really

crazyhorse06

Established Member
meaty mac said:
it's not a cobra r...even those wont make money really
I think they will. It prob won't do as well as stocks/mutual funds, but, I think those will be worth some serious money someday. Esp if Ford doesn't make any more of them. I don't think they will. SVT is changing.

bullittman

Established Member
Take GOOD care of the car....But enjoy them! Drive em. Mine will be in the barn though from November till.....Whenever it thaws out here. :cuss:

Milstang

Established Member
crispy23c said:

Yep, drive it in nice weather. The rest of the time I have "the loaner" to take around town and to work. Other than that I have the wife's vehicle for long trips.

:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread