Anyone Powershifting a Pro Motion Powertrain T45?

BlkSnk

Established Member
I'm learning the ins and outs of this trans. Seems to me that the T45 is junk when it comes to synchros that react quickly. I simply can't guarantee 4 clean powershifts. Does anyone powershift this trans consistently? This trans is the PMP750.

Thanks

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
I too have the PMPT45. My first pass I couldn't powershift ANY gear. But after my 3rd pass or so I think she started to loosen up. I can bang the 1-2 and the 3-4 just fine but the 2-3 I'm still having problems. I can bang it at low rpms (sub 6k) but if I try and whine it out it won't go in. I honestly think that my stock T45 syncros were so shot that it let me jam it in regardless what rpm I was at. lol.

However, I think part of my problem is that I'm a little rusty as before I put the tranny in I didn't powershift the car in over a year so I'm sure my timing is a little off.

What fluid did you put in it? Do you have a firewall adjuster?

-Mark

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Oh and I have about a total of about 700 miles on the tranny. Hopefully it'll loosen up as I rack up the miles.

BlkSnk

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. Right now I have about 700 miles on the trans as well. I also have a firewall adjuster. I read the other thread in the "how-to" section concerning the difficulty of T45's and I'm starting to assume that this trans just doesn't like "lightning quick" powershifts. The trans shifts beautifully if I speed shift it. I'm concerned that I will hurt the trans if I continue to try and "loosen it up." I know that its built with some great parts including the practically indestructible carbon fiber synchros.

I do have a firewall adjuster by the way and I have the friction point decently high. The trans does need a new throw out bearing however and that will be put in next week. I'm assuming that PMP uses the OEM recommendation for Trans fluid which should be Mercon ATF. What are you using?

By the way if you're trying to shift the trans anywhere near 7000 rpm it WILL NOT shift. It has to have the "pro shift" kit on it which actually removes some specific mechanical parts (which I am not familiar with at all) to shift over 7000.

Last edited:

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
Mine shifts fine at 7k on the 1-2 and 3-4. My stock T45 I used to powershift the 1-2 at 7100.

I spoke to Walt (owner) at NMRA 2yrs ago and he said that any Mer III ATF fluid would be fine. Doesn't have to be the expensive stuff. He just said after 500 mile break in change the fluid.

I spoke to Wally (son) at NMRA this past March and told him the issue I was having. He said it might be clutch adjustment. He said make sure the gap between the cable and the adjuster on the firewall is big enough to slip a dime between. No more no less. But a few times I went out on the street to practice I was able to powershift 3rd.

What shifter are you using?

Users who are viewing this thread