Anyone pushing 1000hp?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I know someone is. I got the new issue of Car Craft and was disgusted to see the cover article say "Easiest 1000 HP Ever!" I read it, hoping it was a Cobra/GT500, but expecting an LS. Sure enough it was an LS. I'm curious as to how it is so easy when it uses an aftermarket block, aftermarket rotating assembly, and heavily ported heads. I know there are some GT500 owners out there making this much power with the stock shortblock. Please send your car in and show them that we have been making that much power for years now.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
No gt500/cobra other than some dyno queens on borrowed time can make 1000rwhp and be remotely reliable. One quick pass on the track and you will more likely have a nice big window on the block. So it would take just about the same amount of work to make a gt500 or cobra handle 1000rwhp that it would take for an LS todo it. Not to mention the fuel system has to be done entirely on either cars.

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Not hard to do but I know of no one doing it with a stock block. There is one out back in the garage that clears the 1K mark on race fuel and tune. Low 800s on pump gas. Makes me want to do the same but to much maintenance and operating issues

KidMoney

Established Member
LSx cars can make 1000 HP on stock blocks just like the GT500 can. Both need built motors and tons of money to do it. There's really nothing cheap about 1000 reliable HP.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
No gt500/cobra other than some dyno queens on borrowed time can make 1000rwhp and be remotely reliable. One quick pass on the track and you will more likely have a nice big window on the block. So it would take just about the same amount of work to make a gt500 or cobra handle 1000rwhp that it would take for an LS todo it. Not to mention the fuel system has to be done entirely on either cars.

Shelby 1000 with the 1100HP tune? I know it's "only" 900+ at the wheels, but close enough. I know it's a fully built engine. I also know it's $240K. But it's still a GT500 making that power reliably. (Supposedly.)

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Well the article was on race gas and just an engine dyno. Surely the guys making into the 800s are at that level, and have been for a while, with less cubes. This was a bored out LSX at 390 inches.

Users who are viewing this thread