Anyone recently out of the military?

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
Got out in '08 and Bradley Morris produced the most leads. Ended up getting a job through Career Builder though, although those sites are a real inefficient method of trying to find gainful employment.

Where will you be going once you get out? Usually there are veteran networks; I know the Marine Corps Coordination Council of Chicago and Marine Corps League were very promising instruments when I got out and moved to Chicago. Networking is an incredible tool (they will drill this into your head at TAP/TAMP and it's not for no reason). Does the Air Force or military vets in general have a network set up like that where you're going to be?

I'd recommend getting out and getting your Bachelor's with the Ch33 benefits. That's quite a bit of money and you don't need an incredible job to supplement it and live relatively comfortably.

Good luck though in whatever you decide.

computer_nerd

Established Member
have you thought about going overseas as a contractor? and no, im not talking about germany either...

..especially with your EW backgroud. i'm assuming you have an SCI as well? youre a shoe-in for a position in SW Asia.

mr.speaker

99 Cobra
Established Member
Sallyport was hiring A LOT of people when I was in . You wouldn't believe how much money the Bus drivers made at Al Udeid AB, Qatar..

Also SAIC is really good to vets and they have a nice job globe where you can see the different jobs all over the world on the map.

I'm still looking for a job though,, 40 applications later and still nothing.

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
All very good advice so far. I did 10 in the Air Force and have been out for a month. The only thing I can offer in addition to the great advice you've already received is resume writing advice.

- Keep it 2 pages max
- Put your work experience in chronological order from most recent job and work backwards
- Single line bullets
- Keep the bullets simple but significant
- Translate your military skills into civilian skills. If an employer or recruiter sees a bunch of military jargon, slang and acronyms it will turn them off
- Try to quantify accomplishments using numbers
- If you've ever supervised or managed people, make sure to include that
- If you've ever saved money, improved a process or did something outstanding, include it

PM me your email address if you want me to send you a copy of my resume. Good luck

thapr3dat0r

Just the Tip
Established Member
there is a monthly magazine called GI Jobs that you should take a look at. It always has the top 50 veteran employers in there. with the post 9/11 and 20 hours a week, you'll be able to live in chill mode while you complete school.

That is a good magazine. OP, here's the website. It lists the top military friendly employers. Just choose your industry in the drop down menu.

G.I. Jobs - 2012 Top 100 Military Friendly Employers List

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
All very good advice so far. I did 10 in the Air Force and have been out for a month. The only thing I can offer in addition to the great advice you've already received is resume writing advice.

- Keep it 2 pages max
- Put your work experience in chronological order from most recent job and work backwards
- Single line bullets
- Keep the bullets simple but significant
- Translate your military skills into civilian skills. If an employer or recruiter sees a bunch of military jargon, slang and acronyms it will turn them off
- Try to quantify accomplishments using numbers
- If you've ever supervised or managed people, make sure to include that
- If you've ever saved money, improved a process or did something outstanding, include it

PM me your email address if you want me to send you a copy of my resume. Good luck

This is solid advice, I retired in 2010. I did all that, then setup accounts on Monster, career builder and Linked In. I got two cold calls from my resume by recruiters, had two telephone interviews and got picked up for both jobs within a week. The only drawback I had was the wait. I went at least two months with nothing after applying for over 25 positions. The 9/11 GI bill plus your disability would also be a good deal. Get your AA, then go back to finish your BA or BS. You should also search the area you plan on settling in as well for what is in demand as well. Here in South Texas area there is a good demand for oil field equipment operators/maintainers. The pay is good too!

NEp8ntballer

Established Member
If you're really worried about finding a job hire a headhunter... but since you know an associates isn't worth a lot you'd be better off getting a bachelors in a field that interests you and if you're good at it that's even more of a plus(more important than anything because if it interests you you'll want to put the time in and if you have a natural ability good grades will come easier) There's no reason to struggle/suffer through an engineering degree with a 2.whatever GPA just because of a demand for engineers.

I trudged through a year of college as an IT major until I learned how much programming sucks. Then I tried to do a semester as an engineering student only to learn how much computer and electronics engineering blows. I had to do a bit of soul searching to find what I'm passionate about and naturally good at and settled on a science degree. I hate calculus so Biology was an easy decision from there. Unfortunately the damage to my GPA had already been done so I capped off four years with an unimpressive number.(In case you're wondering how you can change your major three times and still graduate in four years it took 17-18 credit hours a semester until I graduated and summer classes until I graduated) The AF has a cruel sense of humor so I'm now working in comm despite running away from it almost six years ago.

MustangSteveGT

Buck
Established Member
I'd definitely suggest going back to school if you can with the GI bill unless you somehow fall right into a job when you get out. At which point, you probably want to keep going to finish your 4 year degree anyways.
I finished my bachelors with active duty TA so I haven't touched my GI Bill yet. My wife uses the post-9/11 GI Bill and the BAH is great.
I slipped right into a nice management position before I even finished terminal leave but later ended up switching over to the government sector. I would certainly consider a GS position. When I went through TAPS they were harping on getting a GS job and the usajobs.gov site but at the time I really didn't take it seriously. I'm glad now that I later put in for a gov job and quit my last job. My job in the private sector paid higher wages but had way overpriced health insurance, way more hours/weekends and less benefits all around that actually put me father behind where I am now.
My disability rating was generous to say the least and that helps too but don't bank on it getting done correctly or on time. I was an active duty healthcare prfessional work AT a VA hospital before I got out and they STILL managed to completely derail my claim after all of the medical evidence and comp and pen visits I did. It took me about 11 months after separation to get my first VA check.

Users who are viewing this thread