Anyone recommend me a good 5.0 shortblock from a good engine builder company?

Whinee2v

Established Member
I'm looking for a good 302 stroker that's rated at least 1000hp for under 4 thousand. I was looking at MMR but I hear to many stories. Checked out Coast High Performance but the don't have one rated for 1,000. Can anyone recommend me something? Please let me know what you have, your combo, and how long you had it and the abuse you put on it. Not looking into using my own and stroking it and build it!

Adiabatik

Banned
MMR

Im still breaking mine in so I don't have any concrete #'s, but its easily over 500rwhp. Zero issues with it thus far and runs like a champ.

Last edited:

Adiabatik

Banned
Let me correct myself....I dont have one of their preassembled shortblocks (Id never buy a preassembled shortblock because I would want to deconstruct it to make sure everything was in spec). I bought my entire rotating assembly through them and built the shortblock myself.

However, the quality, fitment, and durability of the pieces I received are legit. No issues whatsoever during the build and thus far. I'd NEVER buy a preassembled shortblock and throw it in any car without tearing it apart to make sure everything is what and where it should be.

Lethal and Livernois offer shortblocks that I would trust without digging into them.....but they are outrageously pricey.

Last edited:

Whinee2v

Established Member
Let me correct myself....I dont have one of their preassembled shortblocks (Id never buy a preassembled shortblock because I would want to deconstruct it to make sure everything was in spec). I bought my entire rotating assembly through them and built the shortblock myself.

However, the quality, fitment, and durability of the pieces I received are legit. No issues whatsoever during the build and thus far. I'd NEVER buy a preassembled shortblock and throw it in any car without tearing it apart to make sure everything is what and where it should be.

Lethal and Livernois offer shortblocks that I would trust without digging into them.....but they are outrageously pricey.

Lethal who?

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Lethal who?

Lethal Performance.

MMR is not a bad company, all you hear is horror stories about them because no one with good stories shares them. I had a good experience with them multiple times.

My advice would be to buy a rotating assembly (From MMR) and have someone local put it together for you, that way you can stop by and ask for updates and keep a close eye on it.

Also, why do you want a 5.0 shortblock?

Whinee2v

Established Member
Lethal Performance.

MMR is not a bad company, all you hear is horror stories about them because no one with good stories shares them. I had a good experience with them multiple times.

My advice would be to buy a rotating assembly (From MMR) and have someone local put it together for you, that way you can stop by and ask for updates and keep a close eye on it.

Also, why do you want a 5.0 shortblock?

I want something a little bigger than out 4.6

Chais92

Established Member
I have a 4.75l 750 shortblock from mmr. Also still in break in but it runs great and the customer service was excellent! I recommend them to everyone! Good luck with your decision bud!

Whinee2v

Established Member
I have a 4.75l 750 shortblock from mmr. Also still in break in but it runs great and the customer service was excellent! I recommend them to everyone! Good luck with your decision bud!

Thanks for your personal experience. What's your setup?

Adiabatik

Banned
What do you have from them?

My entire rotating assembly (rods, pistons, rings, bearings, hardware, etc) and valvetrain components. I basically bought one of their shortblocks (minus the block) and assembled it myself.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
There are only a few people that I'd buy a motor from..

AED (which I have a custom build by them, they no longer build engines though)
L&M
Livernios..

Those 3 and only those three for me.

Unless Accufab somehow could build me a motor.

Whinee2v

Established Member
My entire rotating assembly (rods, pistons, rings, bearings, hardware, etc) and valvetrain components. I basically bought one of their shortblocks (minus the block) and assembled it myself.

If I had the knowledge and tools to do it myself I would too! Where did you get your bare block from?

Whinee2v

Established Member
There are only a few people that I'd buy a motor from..

AED (which I have a custom build by them, they no longer build engines though)
L&M
Livernios..

Those 3 and only those three for me.

Unless Accufab somehow could build me a motor.

I'm about to check out L&M and livernois real quick

Users who are viewing this thread