Anyone remove that thing under your hood?

Brad

Banned
You know the fire sheild thing on the underside of the hood! Is it safe to remove that? Will there be alot of extra heat on the hood? Will that damage the paint? Has anyone removed theirs? Any info would be awesome.

~Brad

darkcrayz

Established Member
A few people said they did a while back I believe. The car is alot louder. Dont think it messes up the paint, could be wrong though, long time since I heard anything.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Took mine off. Haven't had any issues and I love that little bit of extra blower whine. Keep it on if you want to keep your car a sleeper. Other than that, I really don't see any readeeming value.

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by sambandit
Took mine off. Haven't had any issues and I love that little bit of extra blower whine. Keep it on if you want to keep your car a sleeper. Other than that, I really don't see any readeeming value.

So the paint should be fine? I just dont want to see any heat spots show up. How long have you had it off? Thanx for the info by the way:D

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
If yours has been on a while, the paint underneath might torn up. But it is a smooth foil on the backside so maybe not. I took mine off early on. Hangs on the wall. There's a pic in my sig with it off.

Last edited:

mosconiac

Established Member
I took mine off after 6500 miles and wish I had done it earlier...the blanket rubbed the paint pretty bad in places. I'll repaint the underside of the hood when I'm forced to repaint the front facia (I drive this thing everyday so rock chips screwing up the front facia are inevitable). No issues with heat or noise.

Brad

Banned
Ok I took it off, but I posted on another forum and people are saying, "dont take it off you'll ruin your paint." Ill take the advice from you guys seeing youre doing it with no issues.. but these other guys are freaking me out from the other board:-D

Brad

Banned
Great info guys, you're all awesome:-D

I feel ok about it being off now.. my plan is to buy the chrome cobra bumper inserts and stick em under the hood.:-D

~Brad

SonicMike

Established Member
Originally posted by Brad
my plan is to buy the chrome cobra bumper inserts and stick em under the hood.:-D

~Brad

I'd like to see a picture of that. Cool idea.

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Originally posted by Brad
Ok I took it off, but I posted on another forum and people are saying, "dont take it off you'll ruin your paint." Ill take the advice from you guys seeing youre doing it with no issues.. but these other guys are freaking me out from the other board:-D

yeah, don't worry about it... just take it off... with the crappy paint jobs on these hoods, all your paint will chip off long before the heat ruins it... :bash:

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
:nono: DON"T TAKE IT OFF you'll put your eye out!

Actually a guy I trust sez, depending on the color, the paint will show that it is curing more quickly from the heat than the rest of the car, sometimes showing some haze that will not buff out.
(He still has both eyes...)
JW

Brad

Banned
Originally posted by Terminator03
ill beat your ass long before your paint wears... trust.... hehe j/k... go to smack down and read man.....

So what you're saying is my paint will not ware as long as the Earth orbits the Sun, got ya!

I responded to you're rant, I dont expect a responce from ya seeing you said, "im done." So have a super life, nice talking to ya, and enjoy your car dude.

Silver 03 Cobra

It looks pretty good on black but on lighter colors it does not look good. The liner does marr the paint and the reinforcement structure does not look good and really shows with lighter colors. Mine is silver and it doesn't look very good while my buddy Mark has black and it looks good.

lRageATMl

GO TERPS!
Established Member
the heat wouldn't scare me, the problem that bothers me with the idea of taking it off is that when it rains water will come right through onto the block.

C_Record

Established Member
Originally posted by jhwalker
:nono: DON"T TAKE IT OFF you'll put your eye out!

Actually a guy I trust sez, depending on the color, the paint will show that it is curing more quickly from the heat than the rest of the car, sometimes showing some haze that will not buff out.
(He still has both eyes...)
JW
Haze is a not a by-product of "curing"(curing in this case means chemicals are evaporating and the item is hardening). The main function of the hood blanket is to insulate the hood from the heat in the engine compartment. Removing the blanket in addition to exposure to the sun, the paint will fade(the haze you speak of) quicker than the rest of the car. Metallics will suffer more than solid colors.

jhwalker

Dead Poster Walking
Established Member
Originally posted by C_Record
Haze is a not a by-product of "curing"(curing in this case means chemicals are evaporating and the item is hardening). The main function of the hood blanket is to insulate the hood from the heat in the engine compartment. Removing the blanket in addition to exposure to the sun, the paint will fade(the haze you speak of) quicker than the rest of the car. Metallics will suffer more than solid colors.

Good clarification. Maybe I was not listening too well.
thanks
JW

Users who are viewing this thread