Anyone restoring or putting your modded cobra back to stock?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
svtdriven said:
I wouldn't restore mine... unless it was in perfect condition, and only had 3500 miles on it, missing only the complete drivetrain, hehe!

Hee, Hee!!

Here we go.......................

R

FoxSnake

Established Member
Those that owned/modified fox-bodies in the early-mid 90's are a different breed than the more modern mustang owners. While I share enthusiasm with 94-04 owners as well, because there is still a bit of common ground, the game changed forever in 2005. We (foxbody vets) were there at the beginning, where the foundation for the mustangs/technology we enjoy today, was forged. You can thank the foxbody 5.0L mustang for the massive auto performance aftermarket (which I feel the 5.0L is largely responsible for) that supports modern stangs as well as those from the past. Most newer, younger enthusiasts, who begin with a 2000-up model mustang cant really appreciate the past - which leads to the suprised looks on their faces after getting dealt by an old "5.o".

Things are different now, the mustang is an entirely different car. I can no longer relate to much that is in the magazines with my own car. I could choose to get a new stang, but it just isnt the same anymore. That being said, previous fox owners/fans will always keep the car alive. Face it, fox-bodies arent the greatest looking car (box on wheels), and handle like absolute crap stock, but those of us that have owned them have a special place for them-like the ugly duckling. Dont get me wrong, some foxes are hot, but asthetically, the majority are inept. The performance potential (of SBF's) is greatest of all domestic offerings. I think, more than any other mustang, they provide a platform to personalize uniquely.

There will always be a foxbody market, and the market will continue to rise. My car is 15 years old. And it was all the rage 10years ago. Now, when before I wanted one because they were so cool, and every one had one; I keep mine because a clean (my definition of a clean fox probably far exceeds most opinion - call me snobby, a fox snob lol) fox is hard to find, and I hardly ever see a decent one on the road (any fox, GT or Cobra)

Even in 2006-2007, new aftermarket is still being released for a platform that hasnt seen a production line in 15yrs - that alone speaks volumes.

My personal opinion about whether to modify or not is conditional. If you, for whatever reason, find yourself the owner of a sub-10k mile cobra, it would be senseless to modify it. You've come this far, might as well as keep it off the road (although a great injustice to the car) till the end, for whatever purpose that may be - are you really ever going to sell it anyway? Of course a life-sized model car would be cool to own I guess. Cars are terrible investments.

However, if your cobra is like the majority of running, driving cobras (over 50k miles), I say modify until you are blue in the face - if that is what suits you.
Face it, the car may appreciate over time (due to lack of supply, and higher than average rarity), but these cars are just tastefully altered GTs from the factory. They hold no real racing heritage, and were only around for one year-which is probably the driving force along with diminishing numbers. But nothing really special about the car. So why not have fun with it instead of waking up 15years later and looking at a 30yr old foxbody.

To each his own ofcourse, this is my own opinion, and obviously nothing more. Personally, stock mustangs are boring, it's a mustang afterall, and stock. Exciting. A stock ferrari or lambo or 911turbo, etc - now those are interesting stock, but not a mustang, personally speaking.
Please don't flame if you disagree, or I grazed a nerve. This is my opinion, nothing more. I've owned several foxes, and will own my 93cobra until it doesnt make sense anymore. So I speak unbiasedly - just honest opinion. Enjoy them while you still can - the future is unknown by all.

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
FoxSnake said:
Those that owned/modified fox-bodies in the early-mid 90's are a different breed than the more modern mustang owners. While I share enthusiasm with 94-04 owners as well, because there is still a bit of common ground, the game changed forever in 2005. We (foxbody vets) were there at the beginning, where the foundation for the mustangs/technology we enjoy today, was forged. You can thank the foxbody 5.0L mustang for the massive auto performance aftermarket (which I feel the 5.0L is largely responsible for) that supports modern stangs as well as those from the past. Most newer, younger enthusiasts, who begin with a 2000-up model mustang cant really appreciate the past - which leads to the suprised looks on their faces after getting dealt by an old "5.o".

Things are different now, the mustang is an entirely different car. I can no longer relate to much that is in the magazines with my own car. I could choose to get a new stang, but it just isnt the same anymore. That being said, previous fox owners/fans will always keep the car alive. Face it, fox-bodies arent the greatest looking car (box on wheels), and handle like absolute crap stock, but those of us that have owned them have a special place for them-like the ugly duckling. Dont get me wrong, some foxes are hot, but asthetically, the majority are inept. The performance potential (of SBF's) is greatest of all domestic offerings. I think, more than any other mustang, they provide a platform to personalize uniquely.

There will always be a foxbody market, and the market will continue to rise. My car is 15 years old. And it was all the rage 10years ago. Now, when before I wanted one because they were so cool, and every one had one; I keep mine because a clean (my definition of a clean fox probably far exceeds most opinion - call me snobby, a fox snob lol) fox is hard to find, and I hardly ever see a decent one on the road (any fox, GT or Cobra)

Even in 2006-2007, new aftermarket is still being released for a platform that hasnt seen a production line in 15yrs - that alone speaks volumes.

My personal opinion about whether to modify or not is conditional. If you, for whatever reason, find yourself the owner of a sub-10k mile cobra, it would be senseless to modify it. You've come this far, might as well as keep it off the road (although a great injustice to the car) till the end, for whatever purpose that may be - are you really ever going to sell it anyway? Of course a life-sized model car would be cool to own I guess. Cars are terrible investments.

However, if your cobra is like the majority of running, driving cobras (over 50k miles), I say modify until you are blue in the face - if that is what suits you.
Face it, the car may appreciate over time (due to lack of supply, and higher than average rarity), but these cars are just tastefully altered GTs from the factory. They hold no real racing heritage, and were only around for one year-which is probably the driving force along with diminishing numbers. But nothing really special about the car. So why not have fun with it instead of waking up 15years later and looking at a 30yr old foxbody.

To each his own ofcourse, this is my own opinion, and obviously nothing more. Personally, stock mustangs are boring, it's a mustang afterall, and stock. Exciting. A stock ferrari or lambo or 911turbo, etc - now those are interesting stock, but not a mustang, personally speaking.
Please don't flame if you disagree, or I grazed a nerve. This is my opinion, nothing more. I've owned several foxes, and will own my 93cobra until it doesnt make sense anymore. So I speak unbiasedly - just honest opinion. Enjoy them while you still can - the future is unknown by all.

Great post

SVT Fun

Established Member
Does one get their rocks off by purchasing a car for garage art? Does one enjoy the driving experience? What is your passion? Some buy and sell cars as a livelihood. Others use the vehicle as they see fit and toss it. For me, it doesn't matter. I have mine. You have yours. All's well that ends well. Enough money can buy just about anything, except for the priceless, eh?

According to reports the average age of a new mustang buyer is approximately 40, which is to say new mustang owners are, in some respect, my elders. As a matter of fact, most of the 05 or 06 GT owners that I know owned at least one fox body mustang. That being said, most of them asked me to sell my 93 Cobra before they made the new car purchase. Why? I have no ideal. After all, I only have a box on wheels complemented with the Cobra specific plastic-looking interior of 93. No, don't pop the hood on these new cars and look for plastic, you won't find it. And talk about the interior, no plastic inside either. Now I just put down the classified ads...no new mustangs for sale today.

So far as car actions are concerned...the auction on TV this past weekend had exotic cars and clone exotic cars going for the limits. Heh, the 57 Thunderbird F-bird went for $205,000. The trite 67 Shelby went for a mere $100,000. A 50 Ford truck for $25,000.

Stick a Cobra emblem on the fender. Wait a minute. Now stick a wing out back. Now put some subtle ground effects on the car. Now it looks like a Cobra...Oops, wheels too....Let's call it a Cobra clone. No need for clones in a market saturated with plenty of original 93 Cobras, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread