Anyone road race his mustang?

LSs1Power

Established Member
Share ur setups and where did u race ur car? I was surprised that the Cobra R owners didnt request a forum for road racing since their cars are built for that. Hey MODS, any future plans of making a road course section?

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
I do a little hot lapping down here at my local track, www.noproblemraceway.com and I'm about to get into autocross. Most fun I've ever had in a car, makes the 1/4 mile kind of boring. (I love the small 1/2mile track more than the 1.8mile) as far as setup, the car is mostly stock, normal bolt ons as far as engine, suspension, eibach pro kit, Mac rear upper and lower control arms and subframe connectors. The 4.30 gears seem to really keep the car in it's power band through and on exit of the turns. I think anyone would really be supprised at how well it really does handle.:-D

LSs1Power

Established Member
Originally posted by STAMPEDE3
I do a little hot lapping down here at my local track, www.noproblemraceway.com and I'm about to get into autocross. Most fun I've ever had in a car, makes the 1/4 mile kind of boring. (I love the small 1/2mile track more than the 1.8mile) as far as setup, the car is mostly stock, normal bolt ons as far as engine, suspension, eibach pro kit, Mac rear upper and lower control arms and subframe connectors. The 4.30 gears seem to really keep the car in it's power band through and on exit of the turns. I think anyone would really be supprised at how well it really does handle.:-D

4.30's :eek: Man if u wanna race ur car at a road course a 3.73's will be way better for u. Too much shifting waste time.... U should try 3.73's and u will be much happier.... Im running stock gearing on my car and all i need is 3rd,4th,5th gear around the road course.

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
LSs1Power: Apparenlty you aren't aware that the 96-2001 Cobras need a little help down low and w/ their high-revvin DOHC engines, the 4.30s are very good :thumbsup:

LSs1Power

Established Member
Originally posted by NeedaCobra
LSs1Power: Apparenlty you aren't aware that the 96-2001 Cobras need a little help down low and w/ their high-revvin DOHC engines, the 4.30s are very good :thumbsup:

I know because i used to own a 99 Cobra.... The power used to hit at 4500RPM which reminds me of a Vtec car.... On the road course u dont need to rev to the red line to go fast... sometime its good to shift the car before the red line when u go into turns because it will help ur car cool down a little bit before u get to the straight way again. I still think a 3.73 will be great for cobra's on a road course. 4.30's is for drag racing. Thats just my opinion though :)

NeedaCobra

Master of the Obvious
Established Member
I understand. I've never road raced so I was just going back what others have said about the gearing of the pre-03 Cobras :thumbsup:

bobh

Not so Senior SVT Poster
Established Member
Mostly the stock suspension (springs/shocks/struts) is too soft.

I've lowered mine, put on adj dampners and upgraded the brakes. Next would be gears and subrame connectors. The stock gears on the DOHC are a bit of a PITA because I find myself unable to pull out of some corners well. I didn't have that problem with the old 5.0L.

The stock leather seats in the SN95's suck. Too damn slippery. If I was going to get race tires I'd get better seats first.

Max Motorsports and Griggs have full setups for the Stang including panhard bars and torque arms to help plant the rear end.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It is handled well enough in all the other sections we have. Thanks

Maybe they have one on LS1.com :D

SL 1993 R

Established Member
if you lurk around in the Cobra R section, you will see stuff about setups and what works. There are several long threads about rear end coolers, and brake setups..

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Originally posted by LSs1Power
4.30's :eek: Man if u wanna race ur car at a road course a 3.73's will be way better for u. Too much shifting waste time.... U should try 3.73's and u will be much happier.... Im running stock gearing on my car and all i need is 3rd,4th,5th gear around the road course.
I run mostly on a 1/2 mile track, but even on the1.8 mile I'm in third gear at 3000-3200rpm in almost all the turns and pull 4th in the straight. so on exit of the turns as soon as I get on the gas the IMRCs open and she starts pulling hard. hardly any shifting at all! I thought the 4.30s were going to be to steep at first but now I think not.

LSs1Power

Established Member
Originally posted by STAMPEDE3
I run mostly on a 1/2 mile track, but even on the1.8 mile I'm in third gear at 3000-3200rpm in almost all the turns and pull 4th in the straight. so on exit of the turns as soon as I get on the gas the IMRCs open and she starts pulling hard. hardly any shifting at all! I thought the 4.30s were going to be to steep at first but now I think not.

So u only use 3rd and 4th gear? U never shift to 5th gear around the track? Thats very good then.

Users who are viewing this thread