Anyone running drag radials on stock clutch?

coyotestang

Established Member
My next mod I am looking for some d/r's, tje title is my question wil the stock clutch hold up on drags? Im not talking about launching at like 5k. More like 3k just to hook up better

Onefstpny

WOT you Say ???
Established Member
What gear you have ? I dropped 2 tenths by leaving at 4k instead of 3k...leave at 5k slipping clutch quickly, should see low 1.8x-high 1.7x

coyotestang

Established Member
3.31s was gonna change to 3.73 but I plan on a blower soon and hear the 3.31s and the tvs is a good match

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Stock clutch will be fine N/A, but it won't last long after you have a blower on it. When that time comes, give us a call and we can get you set-up with the right clutch for your combo.

If you're going to go with a twin screw style blower, stick with the 3.31 with a stock height tire, or at the most a 3.55.

99.9%stock

cuz stock sucks!!!
Established Member
Your clutch should be good for a bit. My car was built 6-2010 and my OE clutch broke at 5,000 miles two springs in the disk were broken. The new ford replacement clutch has been doing good with allot more beating on it at 16,000+ miles.

coyotestang

Established Member
ok thanks guys i had someone tell me i needed a better clutch if i was gonna run drag radials, i think they just wanted to sell me the clutch also lol

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
I would skip the DRs and get a real slick or a cheater. Less abuse to the driveline at the track with a slick as they wrinkle and absorb the shock of the launch. I run 26 inch M&H Racemasters. Launching at 5,000 rpm, I had a 60 foot of 1.67. I have a stock clutch and it has held up fine. I have around 15 dragstrip passes on it and 10,000 street miles The only thing I can say is that after a long second gear burnout it is really grabby and engages low. However, it returns to normal shortly thereafter.

Mike

D.T.R

Established Member
I would skip the DRs and get a real slick or a cheater. Less abuse to the driveline at the track with a slick as they wrinkle and absorb the shock of the launch. I run 26 inch M&H Racemasters. Launching at 5,000 rpm, I had a 60 foot of 1.67. I have a stock clutch and it has held up fine. I have around 15 dragstrip passes on it and 10,000 street miles The only thing I can say is that after a long second gear burnout it is really grabby and engages low. However, it returns to normal shortly thereafter.

Mike

I believe is the other way around.
A stickier tire that provides MORE traction causes more stress on the driveline.
Spinning will actually save your axles/trannys/clutch etc.

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Drag radials have no flex, when they hook...they break shit. I have seen it happen and I have read about it happening. User over on the Corral broke the spider gears in his rear with his 2011 on DRs and a Pro-Cal tune. I watched a kid break his rear on his 2011 at the track two weeks ago with DRs on a manual. He broke the LCA free and rammed the driver's side tire into the wheel well, shredding it.

DRs shock the driveline harder than slicks.

Mike

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
MikeLTDX is correct, slicks are easier on the driveline even though they grip better. The fact that the sidewall absorbs the initial shock when the clutch is dumped is what's better. Radials have stiff sidewalls and transfer that shock throughout the drivetrain. You are more likely to break something with a sticky radial than you are a slick.

BUT, you can't drive with slicks on the street, you have better control and MPH better with radials. As fun as slicks can be, it's just inconvenient to be doing all the swapping at the track if you drive the car there. A properly set-up car will run faster times on a radial than a slick.

Last edited:

ViperBlueCobra

5.0 FTW
Established Member
Drag radials have no flex, when they hook...they break shit. I have seen it happen and I have read about it happening. User over on the Corral broke the spider gears in his rear with his 2011 on DRs and a Pro-Cal tune. I watched a kid break his rear on his 2011 at the track two weeks ago with DRs on a manual. He broke the LCA free and rammed the driver's side tire into the wheel well, shredding it.

DRs shock the driveline harder than slicks.

Mike

This is correct.

D.T.R

Established Member
The M&H drag radials that I run are a 60 series sidewall height and they're super soft... they flex A LOT... so they're probably closer to a slick... than to some of the DRs that people run with a 30/35/40/45/etc sidewall height... but yeah I agree with what is being said.

Users who are viewing this thread