Anyone running/has run an f1a/c please step in

SteedaX47

Established Member
Hey everyone. Ive been trying to decide exactly what my next setup is gonna be. I have a 76gts already but nothing else and since I haven't gathered anything else(including the car lol), I figured id learn myself some centrifugal stuff.

Ive had a turbo 97gt 4v in the past that ran on e85 and just sold my bolt on 04 cobra 2 months ago.

I miss the sn body really bad and have decided on going for a 96-98 cobra when im ready. Plan is to go with manley h beams, and diamond 10.8:1 pistons on e85. Stock heads and most likely stock cams as well. The will be a street/strip setup. probably will never see slicks, but Im sure I will run DRs

I have roughly calculated that ill need appx 850 flywheel hp to run my goal trap speed of 140mph with a 3700lb race weight. Does this sound close to accurate to any of you? The kicker here is that my track is high up (5800ish')

I do NOT want this to be a discussion about my choice of CR or turn into a sc vs turbo thread as I am fully aware of the benefits/detriments of both.

I have yet to own/build a centri setup and just really want to really bad. The reason im looking at procharger is really strictly for the self contained units and well... the sound lol.

I am looking at going f1a 8 rib setup or f1c cog.

I seem to see that most 4.6 guys tend to run like 700 or less whp even with a blower like the f1... why? cant it support more power than that or are we seriously limited by our displacement?

I've only found like 3 cars that are over 800wheel... one sn cobra and two terminators. Do people just not push these that hard?

How often does anyone run a crank support? and where have you gotten it. what about needing a turnbuckle to keep the belt on?
do I really need to be worried about my crank snout?

Do you guys think either of these blowers will get me there in my altitude?

Thanks in advance for any and all of your guys' input on this subject.

Nate

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
FWIW, I didn't run any crank support on my F1A set up. I didn't have any belt slip either. I was only at 19psi, but I was running a big bore stroker with full exhaust. IIRC my pulley combo was an ATI 12% overdrive crank pulley and a 3.9" blower pulley. I shifted around 6300rpm.

SteedaX47

Established Member
FWIW, I didn't run any crank support on my F1A set up. I didn't have any belt slip either. I was only at 19psi, but I was running a big bore stroker with full exhaust. IIRC my pulley combo was an ATI 12% overdrive crank pulley and a 3.9" blower pulley. I shifted around 6300rpm.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate that. That was with an 8 rib setup? and what power did you make? any track times/mph? i'm assuming that it was a 5.0l stroker. stock intake or cams?

I appreciate your input man

EDIT: I may have actually stumbled across your screenname a couple times in my searches lol

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I ran an 8 rib with the Thump tensioner. It was a Boss block with a stroker crank. So it was a 5.3. Heads were stock 03 Cobras with Ford GT cams. I ran a ported intake with full length runners. Compression was 9.5:1. I tuned it on the street and never made it to the track. Although it was in the plans. The best comparison I can probably give you was against my buddies ported 03. When we got into it it would take him a few seconds to catch up after I let off.

Last edited:

SteedaX47

Established Member
Awesome man. That kind of gives me a reference, thank you. Sounds like it was a fun car! Do you have any vids by chance?

SteedaX47

Established Member
That sounds amazing... and that was with the 5.3? god I love that! i'm like 90 percent sure im gonna actually follow through and do this setup even if it doesn't get me to my trap speed goal. i'm just still trying to look into a stronger bracket. all the old old threads don't have pics anymore... they expired or something lol so I cant see encasedmetals pics of his bracket. I guess I could just go to house of boosts website lol but its blocked at work.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Yes, it was the 5.3. It gave me torque down low and then up top I had the pull from the centri. That engine with a D1 at 12psi, stock intake manifold, and 12 or 13 degrees of timing laid down 496rwhp/469rwtrq on a Mustang Dyno. That was with about 100 miles on the engine. I never bothered with the HOB bracket. I ran the stock bracket. But I had an ATI overdrive crank pulley so I wasn't putting a lot of stress on it with tight belts and small pullies.

SteedaX47

Established Member
I was planning on running an OD crank pulley with a bigger upper pulley for that reason. but it seems like others still have issues. im glad to hear that you didn't have any problems though, even at 19psi on the f1a. this is giving me a lot more hope!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think with your compression you won't have to push the blower as hard. Which is a good thing. I was spinning the blower about 80% of it's max rpm with my set up. Which is what I wanted. My IAT's were never more than a few degrees above ambient with this set up. I was looking at trying for 1000rwhp with that set up until I lost my motivation.

SteedaX47

Established Member
That's great to hear! Did you have the standard intercooler that came with the kit or was it the big race one?

I appreciate all of your input man!

J.Shoot

Established Member
Here's my setup.... 2013 Boss 302, Running a D-1, ID 1000 injectors, custom intercooler, AR headers, running thru a TH400. Running on E-85, last dyno pull I made the car made 810 rwhp, thru the auto. While I still had the MT-82 in the car it made 859 rwhp. So far our best 1/4 mile is 9.32 @ 145. I have made some suspension changes trying to get the car planted better but I havn't run the Boss with these changes. This was run at Ennis.
I drive the car on the street and enjoy the hell out of it. The car pulls hard...... Holler if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. I am currently looking at changing things up.... maybe to an F1.....

Good luck with your build.

J.Shoot

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's great to hear! Did you have the standard intercooler that came with the kit or was it the big race one?

I appreciate all of your input man!

I had the 3 core intercooler. It came with the D1 and I couldn't see the need to replace it. When just cruising the IAT's would be the same as ambient. When I punched it they would only go up a few degrees.

SteedaX47

Established Member
Here's my setup.... 2013 Boss 302, Running a D-1, ID 1000 injectors, custom intercooler, AR headers, running thru a TH400. Running on E-85, last dyno pull I made the car made 810 rwhp, thru the auto. While I still had the MT-82 in the car it made 859 rwhp. So far our best 1/4 mile is 9.32 @ 145. I have made some suspension changes trying to get the car planted better but I havn't run the Boss with these changes. This was run at Ennis.
I drive the car on the street and enjoy the hell out of it. The car pulls hard...... Holler if you have any questions, I'll try to answer them. I am currently looking at changing things up.... maybe to an F1.....

Good luck with your build.

J.Shoot

Holy crap... 145 on the d1? part of me has been thinking that maybe I should really look into the d1. Granted your setup is on a yote... but still. Thank you very much for your added input. But youre the first ive seen so far that's been that fast on a d1 lol.

I had the 3 core intercooler. It came with the D1 and I couldn't see the need to replace it. When just cruising the IAT's would be the same as ambient. When I punched it they would only go up a few degrees.

ok that's awesome. that makes me feel like the standard one that comes in the kit should suffice just fine.

Blackedout

Established Member
Are you going with an auto ??? Stock 04 motor/heads with F1a cog @ 26 psi through a 4R70 put down 786/707 @ 5600... fuel pump was not up to the task....

SteedaX47

Established Member
Thanks for that reply. I'm glad to hear that the good power isn't as unheard of as I thought. through an auto with 8.5 compression even! were you ever able to take that down the track?

Ill be on a stick. most likely a 3650 from the3650source

EDIT: it was making 26psi already at only 5600? How high were you wanting it to rev to? and how close to the max impeller speed do you think you would have been?

Last edited:

Blackedout

Established Member
Thanks for that reply. I'm glad to hear that the good power isn't as unheard of as I thought. through an auto with 8.5 compression even! YES.. stock heads/cams... still IRS w/3.55's

were you ever able to take that down the track? No new track times (haven't put new fuel pump in yet) when it was at 735 it went 144 ... haven't tried the trans break... only a 1.78 60' weight was 3715

Ill be on a stick. most likely a 3650 from the3650source

EDIT: it was making 26psi already at only 5600? How high were you wanting it to rev to? and how close to the max impeller speed do you think you would have been?
only looking to spin it to 6500... impeller speed should be just over 70,000

SteedaX47

Established Member
very cool. thank you. Im getting really pumped thinking about this! what was the DA during those runs? if you still have that info of course.

any links to vids by chance?

Users who are viewing this thread