Anyone "sound-proofed" there car?

wojowojo16

Established Member
I tell you, love my exhaust but on long trips it is just too much, can't even talk to the passenger with the windows down, cell phones out of the question, and after a while, its just annoying.

So my options

1 - quieter exhaust (don't want to do this, I love the way it sounds)

2 - quieter inside.

Thoughts???

zeus201

Established Member
+1, I'd like to know what people have done too because it's unbearable inside on long trips.

ModularMax

Fast Cars & Freedom
Established Member
WHAT!???!!! BLASPHEMY! YOU PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!

Drove from Illinois and back again to new jersey no music just the oh so sweet growl of that DOHC v8 DAMN it sounds good any day all day

IMO, if you cant handle it, maybe its not really your thing :shrug:

Last edited:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
No way, that will add too much weight. In fact, I am on the verge of pulling the carpet and sound deadener out of my car.

cobraracer46

Banned
No way, that will add too much weight. In fact, I am on the verge of pulling the carpet and sound deadener out of my car.

you are wrong and you have probably lost most of your hearing anyway, because just simply adding a dynomat trunk kit only adds 10 pounds to the car and the results are worth it. when I get some spare time, I'm going to tear out all the interior, throw dynomat everywhere, reinstall the interior and enjoy some peace and quiet. I dont give a f### if I add 50 pounds to the car.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Inside the 1/4 panels in the are around the wheelwell,
use a small amount of expandable foam.
Makes a huge difference.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member

Drove from Illinois and back again to new jersey no music just the oh so sweet growl of that DOHC v8 DAMN it sounds good any day all day

uh, maybe they are just tired of it?

I don't care if its a ferrari, a porsche or a indy car, I want to listen to the radio.

I definitely want to do this too. I like the sound, but it is stupid loud.

zeus201

Established Member
you are wrong and you have probably lost most of your hearing anyway, because just simply adding a dynomat trunk kit only adds 10 pounds to the car and the results are worth it. when I get some spare time, I'm going to tear out all the interior, throw dynomat everywhere, reinstall the interior and enjoy some peace and quiet. I dont give a f### if I add 50 pounds to the car.

+1. Bassani mids & O/R X plus MAC catback is awesome when the top is down. I used to not care how loud it was in the car, but I've grown to hate driving the car if I have to have the top up. It's just plain nasty loud and I'm going to order some sort of sound deadning material.

50 lbs. or more won't make a difference to me at all.

er22bball0302

Established Member
I just bought a ton of dynamat and will be doing my whole car is the next two weeks. I like taking my car on long trips, when im by myself its ok i just turn the radio up but when someone else comes its not possible to talk to them unless you shout.

01vert

Established Member

Sorry, a butyl based sound deadener actually doesn't help a ton with sound transmittal. Normal deadener acts as a "mass load" which affects the resonant frequency that a panel vibrates at (the "buzz" on your typical ricer sound system is panel rattle)

However, I have added mat to my trunk, wheelwells, trunk lid and under the rear seat as well as one door as an experiment. Total weight is MAYBE 15 pounds. Slightly quieter, an improvement, but not huge as it is still a vert. I have about another 20 pounds to do

What you want is a closed cell foam which has some acoustic absorbig properties such as this: Teklite: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_24&products_id=55

This stuff placed under your carpet does help a lot more than traditional butyl mat. Also, some will recommend "peel and seal" type roofing compound which is an asphalt based mat with a foil backing, similar to old school sound deadener. You can use this on the top of flat surfaces, however it can smell with heat, become brittle or slough off with added heat and time and does not save you a ton of money. Butyl mat is much more stable in a hot car interior and has no smell when heated, it also works better on vertical surfaces. I can not think of a deadener company that still makes an asphalt mat. Some have luck the the peel and seal, some dont so be forewarned if yo plan on doing that, and I would recommend only the top of horizontal surfaces and butyl for the rest if you do decide on it.

As for "dynamat" and all the other boutique stuff, buy it by weight and thickness not brand name. HUGE markup on this stuff and for the $100 for a tiny bit of the boutique stuff buy fatmat, raamat, or edead which is basically the same thing if done by weight. Can be found on the net or ebay. You can also double up on the thinner mat to equal fatter mat. It is all about adding mass and some thickness to the panel to stop vibration (sound) from traveling through the panel and making the panel vibrate.

I have spent a ton of time on this as I wanted to get a quieter ride and have been into car stereo since the eighties. Research some of the ensolite (teklite) style mat as this is the best stuff for quieting a cars interior.

Birdman had a very good suggestion:

Makes a huge difference.

Look at top end cars such as infiniti and Lexus, they actually fill the windshield pillar with expanding foam as well as other areas under the floor in crevices

Sorry for the long post but figured you would want to hear from someone who has done this. Also, what rpm are you pushing, a change in rpm to get rid of drone in my car is better at quieting it than anything.

Last edited:

wojowojo16

Established Member

are you one of those guys that lays in his yard looking at airplanes??

Seriously, I'd rather listen to my radio for 300 miles than my exhaust. I know what my exhaust sounds like, its loud so other people can hear it, I'm very familiar.

Quadcammer

Established Member
are you one of those guys that lays in his yard looking at airplanes??

Seriously, I'd rather listen to my radio for 300 miles than my exhaust. I know what my exhaust sounds like, its loud so other people can hear it, I'm very familiar.

haha, no joke. Thats like listening to the same chorus of a song for 300 miles. can you say, annoying.

Can I get a little clarification where I need to be spraying this expanding foam.

obviously Im familiar with the rear wheel well, 1/4 panel area, but where specifically.

Quadcammer

Established Member
Sorry, a butyl based sound deadener actually doesn't help a ton with sound transmittal. Normal deadener acts as a "mass load" which affects the resonant frequency that a panel vibrates at (the "buzz" on your typical ricer sound system is panel rattle)

However, I have added mat to my trunk, wheelwells, trunk lid and under the rear seat as well as one door as an experiment. Total weight is MAYBE 15 pounds. Slightly quieter, an improvement, but not huge as it is still a vert. I have about another 20 pounds to do

What you want is a closed cell foam which has some acoustic absorbig properties such as this: Teklite: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_24&products_id=55

This stuff placed under your carpet does help a lot more than traditional butyl mat. Also, some will recommend "peel and seal" type roofing compound which is an asphalt based mat with a foil backing, similar to old school sound deadener. You can use this on the top of flat surfaces, however it can smell with heat, become brittle or slough off with added heat and time and does not save you a ton of money. Butyl mat is much more stable in a hot car interior and has no smell when heated, it also works better on vertical surfaces. I can not think of a deadener company that still makes an asphalt mat. Some have luck the the peel and seal, some dont so be forewarned if yo plan on doing that, and I would recommend only the top of horizontal surfaces and butyl for the rest if you do decide on it.

As for "dynamat" and all the other boutique stuff, buy it by weight and thickness not brand name. HUGE markup on this stuff and for the $100 for a tiny bit of the boutique stuff buy fatmat, raamat, or edead which is basically the same thing if done by weight. Can be found on the net or ebay. You can also double up on the thinner mat to equal fatter mat. It is all about adding mass and some thickness to the panel to stop vibration (sound) from traveling through the panel and making the panel vibrate.

I have spent a ton of time on this as I wanted to get a quieter ride and have been into car stereo since the eighties. Research some of the ensolite (teklite) style mat as this is the best stuff for quieting a cars interior.

Birdman had a very good suggestion:

Makes a huge difference.

Look at top end cars such as infiniti and Lexus, they actually fill the windshield pillar with expanding foam as well as other areas under the floor in crevices

Sorry for the long post but figured you would want to hear from someone who has done this. Also, what rpm are you pushing, a change in rpm to get rid of drone in my car is better at quieting it than anything.

Good post.

Have you used this product to keep exhaust noise from coming in, or have you used it to keep radio noise in (could be the same thing, im not into this type of stuff).

I definitely plan to do the trunk and under the rear seats.

Not sure if I have the time and energy to do under the carpet and in the door panels.

Any thoughts on how much of the teklite stuff I might need?

zPipes

Established Member
if its too loud, get cats. if thats too loud, go back to stock exhaust. if thats too loud buy a louder stereo. if it still bothers you, you shoulda bought a focus years ago.

Quadcammer

Established Member
if its too loud, get cats. if thats too loud, go back to stock exhaust. if thats too loud buy a louder stereo. if it still bothers you, you shoulda bought a focus years ago.

ever think that sound deadening will also reduce road, tire, and wind noise that is also annoying.

I can't get exactly go back to the stock exhaust either, now can I?

XyX

Still in the game.
Established Member
Its a mustang, not a benz-ito...deal with it or sell it.

Quadcammer

Established Member
Its a mustang, not a benz-ito...deal with it or sell it.

what kind of ignorant bullshit is this.

Maybe some people want cheap performance without the screaming of the exhaust.

While I could add high flow cats, they aren't going to quiet my car down much. With 20psi and a 11.3 a/f, a set of factory cats would be junk in a few months, not to mention they would kill power.

So basically I have the choice of losing a bunch of power, going deaf, or buying a mercedes?

OR

like an intelligent person (unlike yourself), I can add 50lbs of sound deadening to reduce all sorts of noise, and have a more enjoyable car. After all, isn't that what modding is about?

:loser:

Users who are viewing this thread