Anyone stationed in Hong Kong? Inlisted guys in here!

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
Anyone stationed in Hong Kong? Enlisted guys in here!

I am looking at a woman who has a car for sale on autotrader. She claims to be in the military. I found out that the car is in hong kong. So I have a few questions.

Do banks give loans on cars not in USA? She said I would not be able to get a loan since the car was not in the USA. She also says she could get the vehicle shipped to any USA airport for free.

I wonder if any of you guys have ever sold vehicles like this while in the military. This thing seems to be a scam! I guess if I can get a 3rd party involved and have my cash escrowed I am safe. The price is about 4-5k cheaper than others that are similar. I can see why if this is the hassle u must endure!

Thanks
Guys

Last edited:

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
Hong Kong? This sounds like a scam so far. :dw:

How about a link to the ad?
Have you emailed this person?
Does this person's email make it sound like they don't speak English well?
How are they proposing you pay for the car?

We need more details...but it sure has the makings of a scam. :shrug:

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
I think it does to. It's on autotrader. Yeah her email is some portal called usa.com.

Here is her last email:

Thank you for your reply. As i stated in my last e-mail i am in the military and i am currently stationed in Hong Kong. Talking on the phone

would be a slight problem, but i am willing to call you as soon as we will agree on the terms of this deal.

I can guarantee for the state of my vehicle, i also would not want to ask for your payment in advance. I am sure that we can negociate our way through this deal

I can ship the vehicle to your nearest airport for free but I would like to know for sure if you want to buy this car and as well if you have the funds available

Unfortunatelly i can not sell to someone who is willing to apply for a loan, your bank will require the vehicle to be in the US prior to releasing the funds

Please get back to me as soon as possible,

The VIN # is : YV1CZ91H841043474.

Top_Fuel

Person of Interest
Established Member
It's a scam...all the signs are there:

1) The car is in a mysterious place where you can't view it
2) The price is fantastic
3) Talking to the person on the phone is always an issue
4) Messages in broken English
5) There's always some shipping game going on

I'm not sure what their angle is at this point, but the scam is coming.

You can either forget the deal or play along with them to see where it goes. Tell them you have cash and you're ready to go...then see what they want from you next.

By the way...does the US even have a military presence in Hong Kong???? :shrug:

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
I am gonna pass.The deal is too good. She is selling it for 22k at 32k it's a deal! Trade in is 36k! So I can't believe someone in the military can afford a 50k suv anyway.

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
Thanks for your help guys. I guess I will keep looking for one of these things. I won't buy a new one. Maybe I will play along and see what she says for fun. Then report it to autotrader.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
Ask her what branch of the service she is in. If she is in the Navy or Marine Corps, I can check to see if she is on NMCI - computer network

Oh yeah, its probably a scam cause talking on the phone isnt hard, all she has to do is pick up the phone and call DSN to a local base in the states and they will transfer the call for her.....

rick

Last edited:

cpu77

Armed and Dangerous!
Established Member
RickSvt said:
Ask her what branch of the service she is in. If she is in the Navy or Marine Corps, I can check to see if she is on NMCI - computer network

Oh yeah, its probably a scam cause talking on the phone isnt hard, all she has to do is pick up the phone and call DSN to a local base in the states and they will transfer the call for her.....

rick

Rick,

I will send her reply to you in a PM.

Thanks
Ralph

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread