Anyone thought about switchin to turbo?

03cobracoupe

Established Member
Well i have heard that turbo is better than superchargers and i thought the 03 cobra would be a perfect motor to put it on since it has forged internals..Has any1 thought about gettin turbo for your 03 cobra?

Cobra'03

Established Member
Yes, I just thought about it. I am not doing it.

Next question, please.

The turbo vs. SC "debate" depends to a large degree on your use and objectives. I am looking for instant throttle response for consistent handling, and reliable power. So the SC is best for me.

If crazy power is your objective, it is hard to argue with the huge boost capabilities of a turbo, but then there is the lag, the re-engineering of many of the stock systems and parts, etc.

I am sure someone has already done it, but it does not appear to be the power adder of choice, that is for sure.

I hope someday someone comes up with a true state of the art aftermarket SC, perhaps a Lysholm-based system, capable of 18-22 pounds of boost. Your cake and eat it too.

SVT 03 Cobra

I'd like to run the stock super charger, with 3.5 pully, and a small turbo to boot.... talk about fun!!

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
I have also thought about it. The good thing is that we shouldn't have much turbo lag like a 6cylinder would. And I would like a power adder that you can adjust the boost without changing the pulley (even though its not that hard). Also, with a turbo you won't max it out as quick as a supercharger. Usually the turbo will support more hp than your engine can. And its just nice to be able to turn the boost all the way down for daily driving and then when you see a fast car then just press a button and turn it up. It would be easier on the engine and create more power.

But no one makes a complete kit for our cars yet. Maybe soon. . .

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
If there's a debate between turbos and blowers, it's between people who don't know WTF they are talking about. Turbos kick a supercharger's ass, all day, in every way.

This was the first supercharged RWD stick shift car available to the masses since I started driving. I wasn't about to pass it up.

But, if someone builds a turbocharged RWD stick shift car I can afford, the 03 will be sold with a second thought.

There are DOHC 4.6 turbo kits in the works. Give it a year.
If you want it now, you could drive it to certain shops, write a large check and drive away in the first turbo 03 Cobra in the world.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
What intake would you use?? An Aviator intake, or a Mach I? Does the 99-01 intake fit on the new heads??
or would you keep the supercharger? Keeping the supercharger would seem like an added parasitic loss if you turbo'd it.

-Homer

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
I ran some prelims on dyno2000 for the turbo idea. A Rayjay 300B turbo with an intercooler and a TB that flows 425 CFM, with no other mods (other than tune, of course), should pop out about 700 BHP. Lag is pretty bad, with TQ not hitting until about 4K. However, if you port the heads, raise the limiter to 8K, and put on a set of matched cams, the HP goes to like 900 BHP!!! Not sure if it would be remotely streetable though.

Sax1031

Established Member
I like all types of Forced induction. Superchargers and turbos both have their ups and downs. I like the instant power that a supercharger provides, but turbo lag can be defeated by say a small shot of nitrous on the launch to spool the turbo/s. I like the fact that turbo is easily controlled with a boost controller, the closest thing we have to hope for with that on a supercharger is the companies experimenting with on and off switches for the supercharger that would be inside the car(like the Super Stallion).

94SVT Coupe- Not flaming, just asking. You could not afford a Supra. The motors in the Supras are built like the 03 motors. The car has turbo/s from the factory, RWD, and can be found as a stick. I have seen Supras make 800+rwhp with stock bottom ends(I think the only thing changed in the motor was the pistons) that are full weight, driven daily, have ac, and run 9s at the track.

Users who are viewing this thread