Anyone toast an alternator yet? FYI...

03SoCalCobra

HIGH PSI 03
Established Member
Huntington Beach, CA (h), Culver City (w)
My alternator died slowly over about a 3 week period. The thing is, the Battery light never came on- never. I noticed it cranking a little slower than usual over a few weeks, on and off, but didn't think too much about it.

Driving home at 70mph on the freeway about 8pm one night, I'm adjusting the cluster backlight- seems a little dimmer than usual but not noticible enough to warrent concern. Then..Hmmm.. power under boost seems really soft too. Suddenly the MACH 460 dies- completely - no clock, no lights, ZERO; but everything else is OK, it's Friday night and Mr. Brain isn't connecting the dots yet... ME: :cuss:

About 10 seconds later, the Valintine 1 goes off, making a painful, squeeling noise then dies. :cuss: turns into :dw:

Then about 5 seconds later, the ABS light comes on, followed quickly by almost ALL the cluster lights and the gauge pod dims drastically, then heavy misfire with almost no power, then ALL the gauges die. :dw: turns into :eek: as I quickly head for the nearest offramp.

Not sure why the Batt light never came on- it's functional, but I suspect the alternator was dieing slowly and putting out just enough current to keep the Batt light off, but not enough to cover the current draw with the lights on. This is backed up by the service manager who said "let me guess, it was Ok until you turned the lights on". So FYI.. watch out for these symptoms!

Andorion

ÆNIMAL
Established Member
Originally posted by 03redfiresnake
do you have a bigger lower pulley (or is it stock ?)

My first though too -- if not, please let us know what caused it (according to your dealer) ??

~Berj

coleman

Established Member
Bingo13's gone through one... bigger lower pulley did it in within a very short period of time.

i ran a 6# lower for a week w/o incident. now, i have the proper sized alternator belt. but no problem here.

Last edited:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Fords has very weak alternators, to put it kindly.
We have a fleet of late model Fords and evey one of them has needed a new alternator within 6 months of the date put in service.
Most are on their 2nd or 3rd unit now.
And these are their heavy duty severe service units too!

Dana

olchakla

Dallas Mustang Cover Car
Established Member
well I just had my alternator fail today and it will be replaced for the third time.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I had one fail, but for a different reason.

A friend in SA had one fail last week and his car is pretty much stock.

When I took mine to have it rebuilt, I was under the impression we had a 130amp alt. Turns out we don't. I don't remember what the guy told me, but it was 105-110 or something like that.

davidmax

Established Member
With the Mihovitz kevlar pulley belt 5 lb. of boost maximum through C4 kits the 12th one installed in 9 years and all accesories had to move up 3.5"'s so theres nothing but a screen attached to the FR1 for an air filter and were developing a K&N pannel filter for the set up and tge alternator had cto go on backwRDS AND MY BATTERY LITE IS ALWAYS ON BUT CHARGING ADEQUATE,also the speedo isnt working just reads 0 all the time ALWAYS.
I'm concerned about these 2 items specially since no speedo and battery light on all times sux.I'm a speeder by nature and I have nothing to gauge it by b ut 4:10 gears never adjusted right its
dangerous 1 more criminal speeding and no more liscece left in thye next 10-12 Mos.
Iv have to get this all done within the week so I can be track bound,theres lots of Supras from a 5,000 rpm moving start that want to hand there 5K over,so I can pay for ny mods,I just asumed 66 box and retro gear gift,but not so EZ.
I will check in later thie week with #'s from Dyno and the 1/4 the week fowing since I need my fender lips rolled so I dont eat another set of M/T Slicks,Dave Smilovic

351MachOne

Kicking Your Ass
Established Member
David, why the hell do I have to read your posts 12 times to understand them? Are you drunk?

Wild Bill

Established Member
It happened to me right across the street from my work.It was embarrasing,right before the strip next to the Harley Davidson cafe.I even needed help from one of my co-workers to push it out of the way.One cool thing was I met a fellow 03 Cobra owner.Out of 4 mustangs I've owned,its happened to 3!Oh well.More of an inconvience than anything.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by Wild Bill
Oh well.More of an inconvience than anything.
I hope someone else pipes up, but isn't the alternator VERY important to the overall performance of the car? It affects the computer, fuel pumps etc, etc.
I was planning to take my alternator back to the shop next week and having it upgraded to 160amps.

coleman

Established Member
Originally posted by 351MachOne
David, why the hell do I have to read your posts 12 times to understand them? Are you drunk?

well, davidmax just chimed in from left field again... :lol1:
davidmax, i saw maybe one or two sentences refering to alternators in your entire reply.

as for me, i haven't had an alternator problem yet...
i did put on a 3.5" alternator pulley when my 6# lower went on.
as for stock alternators, i've had them go out on other makes as well, GM :(

anyone have any suggestions regarding aftermarket alternators when our stock unit dies?

racerat, you mentioned a 160 amp unit...

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
racerat, you mentioned a 160 amp unit...
The shop that rebuilt mine said they could re-use the casing and rebuild with more amps. That was a while ago, so I don't remember the details.
I'm finally getting some time off over Christmas so I'll be following up on a lot of little projects with the car including the alt.

Users who are viewing this thread