Anyone Tried the New C&L Upper Intake Plenum?

NoPony

Established Member
Just wanted to know if anyone has tried the upper intake plenum C&L makes for the 99 and up SOHC 2V motor? I bought it and liked it. It is supposed to add 20 to 25 tq on a blower car. I havent dynoed the car after the swap , but it feels a little stronger through the entire rpm range.

NoPony

Established Member
Well if anyone is curious, I swapped the Plenum and ran a 12.32 @ 115.85 mph, so my time dropped .14 seconds and my MPH went up almost 2 mph. For 199 bucks, I would say it is worth it. What do you think?

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
It is a worth while mod, and cheaper than the bullit intake. Thanks for the before and after info. I'm sure more will appreciate the results of your swap.

screwed

'Round And 'Round I Go
Established Member
Originally posted by NoPony
Well if anyone is curious, I swapped the Plenum and ran a 12.32 @ 115.85 mph, so my time dropped .14 seconds and my MPH went up almost 2 mph. For 199 bucks, I would say it is worth it. What do you think?
Sounds like you made a wise decision. When you gonna' put some slicks on that bad boy and get your 11 sec slip?:thumbsup:

NoPony

Established Member
I am debating a 2900 stall and some et streets. I hope that gets me at least an 11.99 time slip.

I will take some pics tomorrow and try to post them somewhere.

joegt38

Established Member
Yes it is definatly worth it I got 7rwhp 15lbs of torq when I was n/a. And even better mine was free I ported & polished it myself.:)

NoPony

Established Member
Yes, on the stock AODE. I talked to some peeps that build racing tranny's and the 4R70W is supposed to hold up til around 550 HP. Has anyone heard different. I have had 0 issues with the Tranny and this setup has been on the car for about 10,000 miles.

NoPony

Established Member
Originally posted by joegt38
Yes it is definatly worth it I got 7rwhp 15lbs of torq when I was n/a. And even better mine was free I ported & polished it myself.:)

Cool! Free is good!

aside from the porting and polishing, the C& L does have a different design that offers additional help with the CFM's. If I ever get home before dark, I can take a pic so you can see. It is definately noticeable.

joegt38

Established Member
Heres another question for ya, How much does our stock bottomend hold? With my 30shot im over 400rwhp im just worried about the bottom end.

screwed

'Round And 'Round I Go
Established Member
Originally posted by joegt38
Heres another question for ya, How much does our stock bottomend hold? With my 30shot im over 400rwhp im just worried about the bottom end.
It can let go at 350 rwhp just like it can at 450 rwhp. I've been at 400 or more since 1500 miles and now have 9500 on it but you never know!:shrug:

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
The stock GT crank can hold around 500 RWHP. The big problem is the pistons then rods. Not really good on high HP. The pistons need to be forged to handle higher HP. The rods can be fixed with good ARP rod bolts. All in all, the power the stock bottom end can hold comes down to the tune more than anything. The stock stuff can go all to hell on a stock motor if it is over-reved. I've seen 15 PSI of boost on the stock stuff also. Granted the longevity won't be there at that elevated boost level, but it was doable. If the tune is safe the motor should last, provided you don't bounce the rev limiter or have over 450 rwhp

screwed

'Round And 'Round I Go
Established Member
Good point but you can not fix these rods with arp bolts. The rods are the weak link in these motors due to the powdered metal makeup. They need replacing just as bad as the pistons.

Users who are viewing this thread