Anyone use "painters tape" for driving long distance?

ShelbyJK500

Established Member
Picking up my new beast this weekend. Have to drive almost 600 miles back home. I've seen some guys put 3M painters tape over their front fascia...wondering if anyone has experience with this. I'm totally anal about not messing up the paint, including using the tape!! Any feedback is much appreciated!!

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Picking up my new beast this weekend. Have to drive almost 600 miles back home. I've seen some guys put 3M painters tape over their front fascia...wondering if anyone has experience with this. I'm totally anal about not messing up the paint, including using the tape!! Any feedback is much appreciated!!

I used blue painters tape and did my entire front end last year when I went to Carlisle. It was on the car for about 30 hrs and came off just fine, no worries.

Bad500Chris

Ace
Established Member
If you are worried about it, throw a nice coat of wax on before you add the tape.
Used the tape for my trip down to the Fab Fords show, and I used it all the time at the drag strip on the rear fender wells.

ShelbyJK500

Established Member
Awesome feedback guys...much appreciated!! I'm picking my new Shelby up in Kansas tomorrow and driving her back to Colorado. :banana: With all the snowmelt leaving sand/gravel and the mag chloride on the ground as well...I wanted some protection for the front end! I've heard not to skimp on cheap blue tape and snag the 3M? Probably what I'll do. Thanks again guys!!

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
It completely slipped my mind when I drove my car 1300+ miles when I bought it, and kept on slipping my mind every time I took it to the track. It's a great idea, don't have any worries about it.

-Eric

dom418

Established Member
I have a spare bumper I swap over when I go on long trips....just messing with you. Yeah blue tape works it's just time consuming and looks funny. Look into getting a clear bra installed down the road if you are as anal as I am.

crazydave01

New SVT Poster Child
Established Member
Dirty winter road stuff ??? You're not as anal as me, I trailer mine when conditions get like that !!!!!

ShelbyJK500

Established Member
Thanks again for all the awesome feedback!! I just got back (3am here) from the trip. What a long day/trip. The road conditions were actually very good with only a couple of spots in Kansas City where sand/gravel started getting kicked up...thats when I was VERY thankful I did the tape.

I bought the car from a collector. He had a '93 cobra with 6xx miles on it, window sticker still on the window....the #2 to roll off the line 2012 Boss...mint Chevelle's, mustangs, a Fairlane, El Camino and on and on. Most under covers and on lifts in his barn/garage. Incredible setup (with a pimped out man-cave IN the garage bigger than most apartments). Anyhow, all that to say not only was his collection impressive, but he knew what the heck he was talking about. He swore by the green "automotive" painters tape, which I did find at the local chain auto stores. Green on black looked quite pronounced and I completely expected to attract every Troopers attention from Missouri to Colorado, but I only saw one the entire trip.

Worked great and came off with ease!! It helped with the million bugs I hit as well. Beast is resting in the garage awaiting a fresh detail tomorrow and the trip (and taping) were a complete success. :banana: I'll post some pics of the taping job tomorrow, after some shuteye. Thanks again for the replies!!

Zentenk

Established Member
Kind of stupid if you ask me... you going to put it on every time you drive your car? If not, what exactly is the point?

I could understand if you are racing on a track and other cars have sticky tires that fling pebbles.

I did try it out on my ride down 1000 miles to FL in my Viper and it was raining hard for about 300 miles and the tape came half off, all fluttering in the wind. I'm pretty sure that didn't help much, if any.

I also hardly drove behind anyone, I was too busy passing. ;)

Last edited:

ShelbyJK500

Established Member
Kind of stupid if you ask me... you going to put it on every time you drive your car? If not, what exactly is the point?

I could understand if you are racing on a track and other cars have sticky tires that fling pebbles.

I did try it out on my ride down 1000 miles to FL in my Viper and it was raining hard for about 300 miles and the tape came half off, all fluttering in the wind. I'm pretty sure that didn't help much, if any.

I also hardly drove behind anyone, I was too busy passing. ;)

Just curious....are you referring to my original post or everyone's posts? I wouldn't understand you calling it stupid since you actually tried it yourself?!? And NO I don't drive around like this. It came off right when I got home.

Zentenk

Established Member
Why did you remove the tape? You won't ever drive it again? It will sit in your garage?

I tried it, found out it was a waste of time/tape, and will never do it again for normal driving or traveling.

Maybe, if I shipped the car and didn't want workers leaning all over/putting things directly on the paint I would wrap it up. Which I may have to do in the future.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Why did you remove the tape? You won't ever drive it again? It will sit in your garage?

I tried it, found out it was a waste of time/tape, and will never do it again for normal driving or traveling.

Maybe, if I shipped the car and didn't want workers leaning all over/putting things directly on the paint I would wrap it up. Which I may have to do in the future.

:bored: Ok negative nancy.. :bash:
It's a brand new car and he didn't want his car getting chipped up driving 600+ miles. Makes sense to me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread