Anyone want to help out a fellow 03 cobra owner?

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
I am too chicken shit to do the hood blanket mod because i am WAY too anal and have never done anything like it before. Is there anyone in my area that would like to help me? Mike.. that goes to you too, we can both do it.

That also goes for people waiting on their 03s and want a complimentary test drive.

Please.. my snake is developing chronic breathing problems.. I just may have to do it myself.. but it would be cool to have someone who has done it before helping me out. If not.. than any tips?

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
complimentary test drive, for helping with the hood blanket mod? I've never done it or seen it but hell I'll help. how far into western mass?

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
im from wilbraham.. springfield.. you better not be a crazy ****er tho. :) btw dark shadow grey looks ****ing mean

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Get your ass over to my house and we can do it together. I might do it tomorrow. I have the next 3 days off. I was planning on going to NED friday around 6pm and seeing what this beast is capable of.

I have to meet up with a guy near the Braintree Plaza tomorrow, but other than that I am free the whole day.

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
yes i am.. and mike.. i think tomorrow sounds like a plan. My friend with the z06 is coming as well... Night time cruise? Lets put this together really fast.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
tomorrow night (friday) I will be in Epping at FFW... are you coming? If so, we can setup something.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Hey guys,

I'm home all day today and wouldn't mind hooking up with y'all. I'm in Chelmsford. You folks could come up here and do the stuff in my driveway. I have a pretty tool-stocked garage but will have the HVAC/electricians here putting in a ductless AC. If not, maybe some other time.

Mark

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
heheh. i was like yes I am because I was in a rush.. Sorry botu that. Yeah im comin down around sept 9th. Im probably going to buy a Lincoln Aviator the second half school.. But still.. no cobra.. I just couldn't do it. I couldn't bring the cobra to such a harsh environment.. :)

anyheading

Established Member
Blanket Mod

I just did my blanket mod last night. After looking at the photos posted in the forum and examining my car, I decided to try without removing the blanket. The job took about 10 minutes and was a piece of cake with a razor blade. The blanket material is easily worked with and getting equally proprtioned and clean cuts was no problem. I haven't decided yet how best to close the now open edges but I'll tackle that tonight. :thumbsup:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I don't. I cut my flappers off last night.

Saleen's carbon fiber hood lets the water go right in to the engine bay. Besides, the water only goes on top of the radiator (from what I can see).

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Re: Blanket Mod

Originally posted by anyheading
I haven't decided yet how best to close the now open edges but I'll tackle that tonight. :thumbsup:
Someone on here mentioned "painting" the edges with fiberglass resin. Sounds much better, to me, than using any kind of adhesive material. I can't imagine any tape or foam that will permanently hold up the the heat in the engine bay. Just my .$02

CatchMeCopper

Established Member
Yeah im not too sure about the foam.. fiberglass resin should make the blanket impossible to remove. hmm. so whats gonna happen. Im all set with cutting the blanket but still.. what to seal it up with..

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
Originally posted by CatchMeCopper
fiberglass resin should make the blanket impossible to remove. hmm.
No, just paint the edges so they don't fray. Keep the resin off the hood (if you don't take the blanket off, maybe put slide some aluminum foil between the blanket and the hood), and you shouldn't have the "removal" problem...

vercr1

You might try the aluminum tape that they use for home air conditioning ducts. It holds up to the heat pretty good and it's easy to remove and replace. I used on my race car cooling ducts.

sn8k

THe oLD FaRT
Established Member
I did my hood blanket mod a couple of weeks ago. Went to Orchard Supply to pick up what I needed... and being that I've heard people saying that the foam edgeing material was lifting, I decided to look around and see what I could use instead. In the electrical section I found some liquid electrical tape.. so I thought, "what the hell... should work OK to seal the edges". I had to use a few coats as the balnket really soaks up the liquid. I did use postban's suggestion to use the stapler to compact the material along the edges - that worked great.

I also picked up a a wire loop fastener, a brass screw w/stand-off nut, and a big rubber washer. I used this stuff to make a tie-down so I could open the flap & tie it off with a regular twist-tie. I close the flaps when washing the car. Doesn't seal it off, but it's better then leaving it wide open and having a lot of water to wipe up afterwards. Here's a pic.

hoodblanketmod.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread