Anyone want to trade for a Spec miata?!?!

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
Just out of curiosity, why are you getting out of the Miata? I only ask since I've been tossing around the idea of running SM.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Just because I'm a mustang guy and can't eliminate the thoughts of one day getting back into one for a track car. Don't get me wrong, miatas are VERY fun to drive!

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Edit:

It actually has the spec miata hardtop brackets. So those are not needed.

Also, I got in contact with the original owner who raced the car and it was built as a SM race car by Barry Hartzel. Hartzel has a performance shop in Seaside, Ca and has won multiple nasa and scca championships. Needless to say, the previous owner said it wasn't a cheap build!

racebronco2

Established Member
Just because I'm a mustang guy and can't eliminate the thoughts of one day getting back into one for a track car. Don't get me wrong, miatas are VERY fun to drive!

I have to agree with everything you said. I never went as far as actually retiring my cobra and buying a miata.

Sirl

Established Member
There's something about Mustangs and Miatas..
Few of my buddies with Mustangs also want a Miata, and some AI guys here have SM's too! I've wanted one for ever as well... Just cant bring myself to selling my Mustang.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Sirl....I'll cu you a screaming deal in this i you want to own a miata too! Nothing better than having two race cars!

Though the power doesn't compare, just with the SM suspension and roll cage this car feels just as solid, if not more, than my 98 cobra with full MM suspension and roll bar. I'm sure it's because of its compact wheel base, but damn, they aren't lying when they say it feels like a gokart!

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Trust me, I know lol! I too am a muscle car guy...but I'm also cheap/broke so the miata fit the bill when I was considering getting a fairly low cost race car. The consumable are fractions less as well, which was a major selling point. But I hear you....the power of a muscle car are second to none.

ba#97

Established Member
can you post up new pics? I can't see them. I'm intrigued. maybe a trade is in order. lol. I'm in Yuba City.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Here is a quick update on what I recently learned about the car as well as some new pictures:

I got in contact with the original owner who had the car built. He is an attorney in san francisco (if that matters) and had the car built by Barry Hartzel at Hartzel Automotive in Seaside, Ca. Barry is a multi-championship winning SM racer and is supposedly well known in the SM community. Bill, the owner who had the car built, sent it off to Barry's shop in the early 2000's to get the full SM treatment. He told me he spent about $14k on the build, on top of what he paid for the car in street trim. With that brief history in mind, it gives you a sense that this car was built right!

I've done a little research on the 2013 SM rules and a few updates would be needed to make this car 2013 SM legal (ie: updated harness, move the shut-off switch, fire bottle (there is currently a fire bottle bracket mounted to the passenger floor), and upgrade the door bars to double-bars). But if you are planning to just use it as a track car (as I intended to do) it is ready to go as is!

That being said, I recently started peeling off the stickers on the driver side and the paint is not too great. It could use a fresh coat to be pretty again, but it is a racecar so who cares, right?!

Also, if you decide to trade, I have a few people lined up who want some of the rare red interior pieces. You can strip the interior down more (as I was going to do) and sell these "rare" pieces to make a few hundred bucks! Apparently they're a rare commodity that people will pay premium for!

Anyway, here are some pictures (before I started removing the stickers):

_DSC4575_zps089285e4.jpg

_DSC4570_zpsa5196af8.jpg

_DSC4577_zpsc2fccd51.jpg

_DSC4572_zps9a863812.jpg

_DSC4568_zps66342545.jpg

_DSC4567_zps5a40d3cc.jpg

_DSC4545_zpsae4927de.jpg

_DSC4549_zpsc529215a.jpg

_DSC4547_zpsbf9f4a7c.jpg

_DSC4551_zps4e2229bf.jpg

_DSC4554_zpsbb55c536.jpg