Applied to Secret Service - have questions. LEOS ONLY.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
While I can appreciate the experience my current employer has afforded me, I feel it is time to move on and really get into my desired profession: law enforcement. I've always wanted to join one of the fed agencies (FBI, DEA, Marshals, etc). Tonight, I sat down and applied to the Secret Service for an Officer position. I sent my application along with filling out their supplemental packet.

I'm curious to see if any of the officers here have, or had, any direct experience with this agency. Good and bad, please explain. This is something I really want to go after and I feel that I have a good moral being to do this. No criminal record, no financial issues, physically fit, mentally healthy, maturity, discipline, drive, responsibility, etc. I feel that at this point in my life all my ducks are in a row and that I can handle this lifestyle. The only downside I can think of is that I have no prior LE experience.

I do have a relative that works for the Columbus, Ohio field office. I don't know him and he is related to our family through marriage. He is married to one of the children of my great aunt and uncle. Anyway, I'm not sure if I can contact him and use this to my advantage or not. I'm thinking not since I don't know him but I figure it can't hurt to get in-touch with him and quiz him a bit.

In summary, if any LEOs know anything or can help in any way please advise. Thanks in advance!

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
While I can appreciate the experience my current employer has afforded me, I feel it is time to move on and really get into my desired profession: law enforcement. I've always wanted to join one of the fed agencies (FBI, DEA, Marshals, etc). Tonight, I sat down and applied to the Secret Service for an Officer position. I sent my application along with filling out their supplemental packet.

I'm curious to see if any of the officers here have, or had, any direct experience with this agency. Good and bad, please explain. This is something I really want to go after and I feel that I have a good moral being to do this. No criminal record, no financial issues, physically fit, mentally healthy, maturity, discipline, drive, responsibility, etc. I feel that at this point in my life all my ducks are in a row and that I can handle this lifestyle. The only downside I can think of is that I have no prior LE experience.

I do have a relative that works for the Columbus, Ohio field office. I don't know him and he is related to our family through marriage. He is married to one of the children of my great aunt and uncle. Anyway, I'm not sure if I can contact him and use this to my advantage or not. I'm thinking not since I don't know him but I figure it can't hurt to get in-touch with him and quiz him a bit.

In summary, if any LEOs know anything or can help in any way please advise. Thanks in advance!

I was a Fed. L.E.O. and one of my good friends is a Secret Service Agent. If you are referring to the uniformed Sec. Serv. officer position that is a boring job. It is basically an armed guard position. You dont investigate. You are posted at Buildings in DC for the most part.

If you have a 4 yr degree you should apply for the Agent position as there are a shitload of openings right now.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
A good friend of mine worked for the Secret Service and the CID for many years since I believe in the 70s after the Vietnam war. He loved his job but he was an agent. He investigated a lot of stuff and when he was called to go to protect the president he did so in his early years. He had a never say never and a don't ever quit mentality. He was a really cool person. When he walked into the building I worked at in jeans you knew you were ok he was just coming for a visit. If he came in wearing the suit, tie, glasses and such we knew we were in for some major happenings and he meant business. But as I say he was a cool dude and told us some fascinating stories of his early years.

Good luck in getting the job.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
I was a Fed. L.E.O. and one of my good friends is a Secret Service Agent. If you are referring to the uniformed Sec. Serv. officer position that is a boring job. It is basically an armed guard position. You dont investigate. You are posted at Buildings in DC for the most part.

If you have a 4 yr degree you should apply for the Agent position as there are a shitload of openings right now.

Thanks for the help Adam. The opening is for a uniformed position. If it's boring, I don't want it. Boring is what I have now and I am not happy. I want variety and something new everyday. I have a 4 year degree so I'll go after the Agent position.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Thanks for the help Adam. The opening is for a uniformed position. If it's boring, I don't want it. Boring is what I have now and I am not happy. I want variety and something new everyday. I have a 4 year degree so I'll go after the Agent position.

Must definitely go for the agent position. On USAJOBs there are a bunch of listings for the Sec. Serv. Agent (1811) position.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
I received a packet today with an invitation to take the POST in the Cleveland FO. From what I have read online the hiring process can take between 6 months to 1.5 years. And since this is for the uniform division, I am going to cancel.

Users who are viewing this thread