AR-15 guys need some help/ Critique

usmcrebel

Established Member

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
Does that upper price include a Bolt carrier group? How about handguards for the upper? I cant click on your links because im at work and they are blocked :-( if both of those answers are yes it looks like you are good to go. Now buy a buttload of mags and ammo and have fun!

Last edited:

usmcrebel

Established Member
yes the upper is complete
uh458car10.gif

skyhighsd

Established Member
You have everything you need from your links, just needs mags. Might want to upgrade the receiver parts if you have the cash now. Only wondering why you are going with the rear sight? Better off leaving that out IMO. Since you have never built one before, just so you know there are some good step by step vids on youtube you can go along with when you build it.

txyaloo

Established Member
I wouldn't buy a commercial spec buffer tube. I would buy a different stock set that includes a mil-spec tube. It gives you a few more upgrade choice in the future.

Also, you're going to need a front sight as that upper is set up for optics and flip up sights. I would buy a good BUIS set and optics and skip the carry handle. If you don't want to go that route, just buy a flip up front sight.

Any reason you're going with that caliber upper other than you just want to?

usmcrebel

Established Member
You have everything you need from your links, just needs mags. Might want to upgrade the receiver parts if you have the cash now. Only wondering why you are going with the rear sight? Better off leaving that out IMO. Since you have never built one before, just so you know there are some good step by step vids on youtube you can go along with when you build it.

I've been watching them every night so im not a complete idiot with this.
I was going with the sights just because i loved the ones on my m16 before the acogs.
I've got a deal for 10 30rd mags for $60 ;-)

I wouldn't buy a commercial spec buffer tube. I would buy a different stock set that includes a mil-spec tube. It gives you a few more upgrade choice in the future.

Also, you're going to need a front sight as that upper is set up for optics and flip up sights. I would buy a good BUIS set and optics and skip the carry handle. If you don't want to go that route, just buy a flip up front sight.

Any reason you're going with that caliber upper other than you just want to?

I had wondered about the buffer tubes, i found some fairly nices ones for not much more, but in talking with the RRA guys they said the Milspec lower is what the .458 was designed for. I like the sights vs scope for simplicity, but i spent hours trying to decide between them. I will most likely pick up a tasco/BSA (tried and true on all my rifles thus far) on the cheap or just swap the scope from my 710 onto this.

There are a few reasons
1) Just because it's different
2) Already have a .30-06
3) Want to get into some stalking; lightweight hard hitting weapon is good
4) Boar hunting
5) either this or a beowulf upper...this is more interesting and packs more energy than a beowulf thanks to higher velocity and capability of heavier rounds.
6) I love Big Bore weapons, and i figure this will be a good one to build on my own.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
I've been watching them every night so im not a complete idiot with this.
I was going with the sights just because i loved the ones on my m16 before the acogs.
I've got a deal for 10 30rd mags for $60 ;-)

I had wondered about the buffer tubes, i found some fairly nices ones for not much more, but in talking with the RRA guys they said the Milspec lower is what the .458 was designed for. I like the sights vs scope for simplicity, but i spent hours trying to decide between them. I will most likely pick up a tasco/BSA (tried and true on all my rifles thus far) on the cheap or just swap the scope from my 710 onto this.

There are a few reasons
1) Just because it's different
2) Already have a .30-06
3) Want to get into some stalking; lightweight hard hitting weapon is good
4) Boar hunting
5) either this or a beowulf upper...this is more interesting and packs more energy than a beowulf thanks to higher velocity and capability of heavier rounds.
6) I love Big Bore weapons, and i figure this will be a good one to build on my own.

That tube/stock you linked is a commercial tube. I'm sure AIM has mil-spec tubes as well. I'd add a heavy buffer to the list versus the normal carbine buffer that comes with most tubes.

usmcrebel

Established Member
That tube/stock you linked is a commercial tube. I'm sure AIM has mil-spec tubes as well. I'd add a heavy buffer to the list versus the normal carbine buffer that comes with most tubes.

I have the chance to pick up a mil-spec A2 stock for $55 should i grab it and add a heavier buffer?

Users who are viewing this thread