AR-15 Help!

solidsnakesvt

Established Member
You should register on another forum such as ar15.com or m4carbine.net if you are really serious about building an ar-15. As far the rifle you put a link too, I have heard it is a good rifle but I am sure you can find better deals. I bought my Stag Arms rifle at a gunshow for 850.00 about a year ago.

Last edited:

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
If I get another I'm going with the piston version. I didn't open the link but you might look into it a little.

Jefe

Established Member
You want to build one or start with something basically done and add to it? If so pick up one from CMMG. I know lots of guys that love theirs and im about to pull the trigger(haha) and buy one myself

Bargain Bin CMMG, Inc

Cant beat that price. Some optics and accessories and youll have less than $1k into it...

Evenflow

Established Member
You want to build one or start with something basically done and add to it? If so pick up one from CMMG. I know lots of guys that love theirs and im about to pull the trigger(haha) and buy one myself

Bargain Bin CMMG, Inc

Cant beat that price. Some optics and accessories and youll have less than $1k into it...

So is the M4 Carbine advertised here the same thing as an AR15? I guess I need to do alittle reading. I basically want to just buy a bare bones one that comes ready to shot and just upgrade it with newer sights, etc.

juzlookzfazt

Established Member
IIRC the M4 is the military / LE version and the AR15 is the civilian variant. I have an AR15 16" but I want to sell the upper for an SBR or convert the entire thing to a pistol. Read up on it. These guns are very versatile. I built my lower BTW. You should build it as you can learn how to strip it and clean it a lot easier in the future.

oilwell1415

Established Member
The S&W version was rated very highly in a rifle by rifle comparison of desirable traits to have. I think the study is on AR15.com. Last year the Academy stores here had them for $699. I almost bought one, but chose to go another way.

Make sure you get what you want/need in the first place so you don't get any unnecessary surprises. If you get a flattop receiver you'll have to some up with optics or sights. LOL, that reminds me, when I was at Academy looking at them there was another guy there looking at a flat top. He kept holding the rifle up like he was aiming at the ceiling. He finally asked if you were just supposed to eyeball it along the barrel since there were no sights. The salesman told him sights weren't needed because the rifle was so accurate. I usually get my chuckle and let things like that go, but I had to speak up in this case and explained to them what he had and why it was like that. He asked to buy some sights and they didn't carry them or a scope mount. WTF? Why would you sell the rifle and not the sights or any optics?

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
So is the M4 Carbine advertised here the same thing as an AR15? I guess I need to do alittle reading. I basically want to just buy a bare bones one that comes ready to shot and just upgrade it with newer sights, etc.

M4 really just refers to the barrel in this case.

The S&W you posted is nice, but really overpriced in that link. I could see you possibly paying that for the Tactical version, but not the base one.

The CMMG is a good link if you just want an AR to go shoot with. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. Most people have said they barely had any scratches on theirs.

Evenflow

Established Member
M4 really just refers to the barrel in this case.

The S&W you posted is nice, but really overpriced in that link. I could see you possibly paying that for the Tactical version, but not the base one.

The CMMG is a good link if you just want an AR to go shoot with. Absolutely nothing wrong with them. Most people have said they barely had any scratches on theirs.

Evrywhere I look they are around $1,000 even CMMG. Wehre are you finding them for cheaper.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
.223 and 5.56 are interchangable rouds correct

No. What I've read states that 5.56 operates at higher chamber pressures than .223 (despite the fact they share the same external dimension).

You can technically shoot 5.56 from a .223 chamber, but you risk either accelerated wear or just complete failure with the gun.

A barrel specifically chambered in 5.56 can shoot .223, however.

The S&W is listed as 5.56 or .223, which would lead me to believe it's actually chambered in 5.56 and they list .223 for completeness. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on that one, though.

oilwell1415

Established Member
.223 and 5.56 are usually considered interchangeable, but it is possible that you couldn't shoot 5.56 in some .223 guns. They are almost exactly the same, the only difference is that the 5.56 specifies a slightly longer headspace for working in a battle environement so the gun will still work when dirty. The lenght tolerances of the two cartridges do overlap a little bit, so if the chamber is properly done you can fire both of them with no problems.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
So 5.56 chamber is able to shoot .223?

Yes. There's a thread here on ar15.com...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=481061

...discussing the issue. There seems to be enough debate on the subject - some claiming they load their .223 AR15/Mini-14 with 5.56 all day every day and nothing has come of it. In the end, why not simply play it safe and pick up a 5.56. Nominal (if any) price difference, and you don't have to worry about it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread