AR-15 owners...

cthunder

Established Member
I am interested in building myself an AR-15... and before I make a noob out of myself on AR-15 boards, I was wondering if I need anything more than the upper and lower recievers (both assembled)? What brand do you reccomend? Theres just such a price difference between brands, is there really that much of a disparity? Thanks! Oh, and anti-gun activists, please abstain from voicing your opinion...

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
As far as I remember, assembled uppers and lowers are all you need. I think Bushmaster is good. DPMS is good. Colt is awesome. There's quite a few different brands, and I don't think I've ever heard one being bad, just not as good as others.

Palecobra94

Word
Established Member
I have an AR from a company in Kentucky called DoubleStar. They specialized in kits before they started selling complete rifles. I love mine! They have been getting great reviews in some of the magazines I have read. Check'em out!

Last edited:

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Bushmaster is gonna be the best, i have built around 12 or so. its the mot popular, Colt also makes a good one. The bushmaster lower reciever is very picky about the kind of quality magazines you slip in it...metal only. no plastic. of course, you really dont want plastic anyway. let me know if i can help you out with anything.

there is also stock option...if you can find one, get collapsable, and maybe a stainless bull barrell. try to stay away from the M-16 looking reciever, be different.!!

OutlawDon

Established Member
I would suggest joining ar15.com and learning as much as you can. There are so MANY routes you can go with your build it'll be hard to give just one straight answer. I would recommend looking at the gallery threads and see what look you want to go for. The question you propose is as broad as "I want to build a race car. What should I do?"

What is the purpose of the gun? I built a nice and heavy target rifle as shown in the 1st picture below, and while it was accurate, I wanted something lighter and quicker but still just as accurate. So I took that apart and completely redid it into a shorter and lighter carbine with higher end parts. Below in the 2nd pic is a progress shot as I am still waiting for the barrel to come in. I don't have the funds or I would just build 10 different AR15's. ;)

Also, do you want to build a rifle completely from scratch, or have some parts like the upper and lower somewhat completely built for you already? What is your price range? I would suggest building one from the ground up as it's not difficult and half the enjoyment is creating one from scratch and learning about the details and the process.

Lots of good brands out there. Check out Rock River Arms site to get a feel for what direction you can go with. They sell parts pretty much assembled. If you want to build everything yourself, check out http://www.bravocompanyusa.com and http://www.rainierarms.com Both good company and they don't carry junk parts.

arvtac.jpg

arteaser.jpg

Last edited:

cthunder

Established Member
I am steering towards a .308 caliber upper reciever... now a real question, are they interchangeable parts? I have only seen DMPS make a .308 caliber upper, but the 9mm pistols just look badass (also highly impractical). I want something that my wife and I can practice with, and not worry about a shortage of .223 rounds due to foreign conflicts. I am also leaning towards the tactical collapsible stocks as well as an ergonomic rubber grip.

Outlaw... I had no idea you were in asheville, I'll definitely be talking to you once I iron out what I intend to do. Im in hendersonville!

OutlawDon

Established Member
I am steering towards a .308 caliber upper reciever... now a real question, are they interchangeable parts? I have only seen DMPS make a .308 caliber upper, but the 9mm pistols just look badass (also highly impractical). I want something that my wife and I can practice with, and not worry about a shortage of .223 rounds due to foreign conflicts. I am also leaning towards the tactical collapsible stocks as well as an ergonomic rubber grip.

Unfortunately, the .308 upper is not interchangeable. It's a bigger receiver vs the 223's. Now, the 223 and 9mm uppers are the same, although they do require some different internal parts like different buffers, triggers, and bolt to say the least. Again, really depends on what you wanna do. You can always build 3 different guns in all 3 calibers. :rockon:

cthunder

Established Member
I would suggest joining ar15.com and learning as much as you can. There are so MANY routes you can go with your build it'll be hard to give just one straight answer. I would recommend looking at the gallery threads and see what look you want to go for. The question you propose is as broad as "I want to build a race car. What should I do?"

What is the purpose of the gun? I built a nice and heavy target rifle as shown in the 1st picture below, and while it was accurate, I wanted something lighter and quicker but still just as accurate. So I took that apart and completely redid it into a shorter and lighter carbine with higher end parts. Below in the 2nd pic is a progress shot as I am still waiting for the barrel to come in. I don't have the funds or I would just build 10 different AR15's. ;)

Also, do you want to build a rifle completely from scratch, or have some parts like the upper and lower somewhat completely built for you already? What is your price range? I would suggest building one from the ground up as it's not difficult and half the enjoyment is creating one from scratch and learning about the details and the process.

I know the question is kind of vague, I left out some detail... My wife is in the Air Force, and she and I have been discussing about her going overseas after she completes the necessary schools (she's in weather). Me being the boy scout, I want her prepared... yes I know the military wil prepare her, but when you're shooting for your life, I'd much rather her feel as comfortable and used to the m16 as possible. I know she wont be in much harms way being in weather, but you never know. I have a 9mm, and the next step would be teaching her with a rifle.

Ultimately, I am not looking for anything as agressive as you pictures, which are very nice by the way. I want something that will provide some punch if something may arise. I've shot a couple of .223 cal AR-15's as well as M16's and just wasnt that impressed with the feel, and power... not to mention my father was in vietnam and from first hand experience he told me the lack of stopping power.

I want something as close to weight and length as the GI issue M16, but in a nicer neater package.

EVLSVT

Banned
yea, I have a Colt AR-15 a2.
The gun is SICK and I shot off 1000 rounds in a row without jam, and my friend, with a Rock River arms AR-15, jammed 3~ times...

But...

I always see guns like this:
m4%20with%20eotech.jpg

The front part above his hand (that the upper reciever?) is all 'ruggedy' and looks sick, and looks like he has a scope on top/lazer sight on bottom or something... If I could get that on the front of my AR, it would look sick...

can I just buy that upper reciever for it and make it looks sick like that military rifle? What exact part is that?

Also the 'butt' part of my gun... (part that is on your shoulder), its all one solid material, I like that 'carbine' look in the pic above... I pretty much want my gun to look exactly like that one lol..

My gun looks exactly like this:
Black_Powder.jpg

Last edited:

BoostFiend

Say NO to FUPA!
Established Member
Haha, Bushmaster is for sure NOT the best. There are a ton of brands out there. I am including a link to some of the best made AR's and AR variants I have ever seen. http://www.noveskerifleworks.com/ Very high quality.

EVLSVT, that is the accesory rail. You can buy them for your AR. You don't need to get a new upper reciever.

Last edited:

OutlawDon

Established Member
I know the question is kind of vague, I left out some detail... My wife is in the Air Force, and she and I have been discussing about her going overseas after she completes the necessary schools (she's in weather). Me being the boy scout, I want her prepared... yes I know the military wil prepare her, but when you're shooting for your life, I'd much rather her feel as comfortable and used to the m16 as possible. I know she wont be in much harms way being in weather, but you never know. I have a 9mm, and the next step would be teaching her with a rifle.

Ultimately, I am not looking for anything as agressive as you pictures, which are very nice by the way. I want something that will provide some punch if something may arise. I've shot a couple of .223 cal AR-15's as well as M16's and just wasnt that impressed with the feel, and power... not to mention my father was in vietnam and from first hand experience he told me the lack of stopping power.

I want something as close to weight and length as the GI issue M16, but in a nicer neater package.

If you are preparing your wife, I would stick with the 223 caliber as that's what she'll be training with in the military. You want a familiar platform that she'll know and have experience with. As for lack of stopping power, there are heavier grain 223 ammo now with the 75-77 grain bullets that will have more energy and knock down power especially long range than the 55 or 65 grain ball ammo. They are much more accurate too. Only thing is they require a 1 in 7" twist barrel vs a 1 in 9", but the 1 in 7 in the standard so it should be easy to find.

If you just want something standard but in a nicer package, look at the Rock River Arms A2 or the National Match A2. It'll have the standard classic look you want, but with a god barrel, trigger, and extras. I would personally suggest the NM A2. And then you can shoot the heavier grained 223/.556 ammo with more punch.

Also, the latest and greatest in the AR world is the 6.8SPC caliber. It's definitely got more power with a bigger caliber and heavier bullet. Might be what you are looking. Cool thing is that you simply need to get a 6.8 upper and magazine, but uses the same lower as a regular 223 AR. So that's something to consider.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=225

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=226

And take 30 minutes and read this.....you'll learn more here than in a week of surfing around....

http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462

Last edited:

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
I've had 2 .308 AR's and I personally like my .308 Belgian FAL better then both of the AR's put together.

I have a cheaper AR-15 (Armalite) as of right now but I want to build a nice DPMS custom rifle.

OutlawDon

Established Member
Thanks a TON for the link... a 5.56 nato round it is! looks like I'll be going with the CMMG with the upgraded LMT enhanced bolt upgrade.

You're welcome. CMMG is highly regarded, so good choice. I just bought a LMT bolt carrier group myself a few days ago, so another great choice. Remember to get a 1 in 7" twist barrel with chrome lining to enhance life and also the ability to use heavier grained ammo.

Good luck. CMMG makes a lot of different models and they are all good, so have fun chosing the right one for you and your wife's needs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread