AR15 Guys, Building my first and have some questions

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
Hey all,

So I decided to build a AR, just so I could say I "Built" my first. I have the lower completely done, and have moved on to getting ready for the upper. I will be buying a complete upper instead of building it.

My question is, If I were to buy a upper that has the fixed raised front sight, if I were to mount a scope to the rail, when looking through that scope, will the line of sight interfere with that front fixed sight? I'm still new enough to it that I wasn't sure on this part. If it will, then I guess I will look into a upper with the free float hand guard and mount a front and rear flip up sights incase I didn't want to use a scope.

Thanks in advance, just trying to learn as I go.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Depends on your optics mount, etc. If I were you, I would just buy a complete upper without a front sight. That way if you want to add irons later you can, if you don't, you're not stuck with the front one.

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
depends, you trying to hit 600 yds with a red dot? red dots we use ave sights that can be raised if need be. generally if you're using your red dot your not trying to do a head shot at 1000 yds.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
I definitely wont be trying to hit anything at 1000 yards, lol. It'll most likely just be shot target shooting, and shooting coyotes around my farm.

nxhappy

Established Member
Just get one without the standard A2 front sight. Then buy a vortex red dot.

CV355

_
Established Member
It depends on the optic and if it is designed to be co-witnessed with iron sights.

Sometimes they come with a spacer that allows for co-witnessing (like the Vortex Spitfire on my MPX). In most cases, low or no magnification optics can be co-witnessed relatively easily. Anything with magnification detracts from the effect of co-witnessing, but people still do it sometimes.

I personally advocate for minimalism when it comes to building firearms. Ignore the mall-ninjas on Youtube. If someone breaks into your house, you're not going to be switching between primary and secondary optics, or using a 45 offset to sweep through your house like Steven Seagal looking for hostage pastries. The amount of training it would take to be proficient is well outside the realm of reason for virtually anyone outside the military. Stick to simple and familiar.

Last edited:

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
I would recommend getting a free-float hand guard and skipping the fixed front sight. At 1x, its in your face... at 3 x, its a ghost shadow in the FOV, and as you go up in magnification, it disappears.

Skipping a fixed front sight allows you the most flexibility for HWS, large/long scopes, sun shades, etc. And if you like the look of A2 sights, you can always buy detachable sights.

To give you an idea, here is one of my M4 clones with detachable A2 sights...

M4A3_Clone.bmp

Now, here is the exact same rifle, but with a quick hardware change...

M4_Sharp_Shooter.bmp

You can see how versatile the rifle can be in looks and function when you are not locked into a specific fixed sight.

On the flip side, nothing is permanent. If you want to get a fixed front sight and decide later that you don't like it, you can always change the gas block.

EDIT: This is another one of my M4 clones. As you can see, you can still put accessories on it and I think it looks great if you are keeping the carry handle on it. I can't use the scope pictured above on this rifle, though. I can't mount the scope far enough back to clear the site and still maintain a usable length of pull. However, if you are going to use an EOTech, AimPoint or another HWS, as mentioned by others above, you can still co-witness the HWS and use it as either a 1x or with a magnifier (typically 3x) and not experience any significant sight picture issues.

M4A3_W-Handle4.bmp

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Standard issue Marine Corps rifles have the fixed A2 sights with an Acog for an optic so your front sight is always visible when looking through the optic. It's hardly noticeable though, just a slight blur toward the bottom of the sight picture. Would be slightly more intrusive with an Eotech being that it isn't magnified but I still didn't have any issues with it on mine as far as accuracy goes.

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member
Sounds good everyone. Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I have decided to go with a free float style upper with quad rail incase I ever want to mount more accessories.

My brother in law built an AR a couple years ago and used a complete upper from Radical Firearms. He said he really likes the quality of it and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I think I may look into them.

When I built my lower, I bought all my parts kit from Palmetto State Armory, and was extremely happy with their customer service and quick shipping. So I may look into them also.

Beings that this is my first built, I honestly didn't want to spend a ton on this one, and hoping to build another in the future and use some better stuff. My wife got all excited with me building this one, and now wants me to build her one, lol!

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Sounds good everyone. Thank you for all the suggestions. I think I have decided to go with a free float style upper with quad rail incase I ever want to mount more accessories.

My brother in law built an AR a couple years ago and used a complete upper from Radical Firearms. He said he really likes the quality of it and wouldn't hesitate to use them again. I think I may look into them.

When I built my lower, I bought all my parts kit from Palmetto State Armory, and was extremely happy with their customer service and quick shipping. So I may look into them also.

Beings that this is my first built, I honestly didn't want to spend a ton on this one, and hoping to build another in the future and use some better stuff. My wife got all excited with me building this one, and now wants me to build her one, lol!
Before going with a quad rail consider a Keymod or M-Lok handguard which is lighter and more compact.
Accessories can still be attached wherever you like.
I went Keymod.
A4FAF721-809A-444A-B635-F0AB09305378_zpselydhv0l.jpg

Troponin

Established Member
A higher powered scope usually won't even show your front sights at all. A lower powered scope, like a x2 tactical type set up, will. If you plan on using a tactical type of optic, then absolutely leave it off for now

ksstang

Vortech'd
Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread