Are 79-04 cars supply dwindling?

Dimitri318

Established Member
It’s funny you made a thread bc a friend and I were just discussing something like this the other day. I don’t have a personal Facebook but I made a fake profile just to buy/sell car parts and I’ve noticed A LOT of 03-04 cobras that people are parting out and destroying bc they make more money than if they sold the car. I know of one guy on there that crushed 3 cobras after he finished parting them out. He bought them with a salvage title with the sole purpose of parting them out and after no one wanted the shell, he crushed them. I can’t stand to see people just crush them for no reason, it pisses me off. A couple years ago I bought racerats old sonic blue vert and it was the 11th car off the line and someone did a hit and run on me and totaled the car out. I sold the drivetrain but still have the shell sitting at a buddies shop and there’s no way I’ll crush it. After I finish my current turbo build, I’ll eventually put the SB one back together and get it back on the road one day.

lilcoop03

Established Member
Knew of a perfect one for you.. Just called to ask about it and found out it has been totaled. lol

I also know of a laser red 04 GT that has been sitting under a carport for about 13-14 years. It has not moved. Used to be a super clean car when I was in high school and rode by the house. Its so overgrown with weeds and brush now you cant even see the car. It belonged to an old man who died and when his daughter inherited the house and car, she will not sell it.. Its sad. I even wrote a long letter and put it in her mailbox trying to buy it a few years ago. She's just letting it rot. I bet the car doesn't have 20k miles. Bone stock.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
slightly off topic but I've noticed in my recent searching that not many shops want to work on these cars anymore either. it's all about the '05 and up.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
slightly off topic but I've noticed in my recent searching that not many shops want to work on these cars anymore either. it's all about the '05 and up.

thats silly, its not like theyre difficult to work on. parts are still readily available both on the aftermarket side and oem replacement side. specialty parts are harder to find but for the most part, you can get what you need.

nxhappy

Established Member
Yeah, the clean, low mileage ones are getting hard to find. Most of them are huge piles of shit, or they look decent, but have 150k+ miles.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I like your style OP, glad you hung onto that SB Cobra. Post up a build thread when you do get to fixing it up, I would love to follow that save.

I know they're out there still for a price, but Feel like I only come across 3-5 a year or so that seem like really good deals.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
15 years ago, fox-bodies were a dime a dozen. I bought one for $1400 in '04. Now they're how much?

Those simple numbers alone mean nothing. Back in 2002ish, I paid 7K for a clean 62K mile, calypso LX hatch. I drove it 15K miles in 3 years, mentioned I needed to sell it and someone offered me $6,500.

Today, I saw this posted:
Yes a clean fox is more rare, but a $1,400 car didn't turn into a $14,000 car in 15 years.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
So I'm continuing to strike out. And the funny part is, cars that really aren't worth all that much being overpriced, or just not worth it.

Looked at a 95 Cobra Monday - Passenger strut tower rotted out. Paint torched. Interior beat. Engine bay entirely oxidized. Pointed out the rust and he said okay, i'll come down 400 to 4200. Yea, no.

Yesterday a 98 Cobra local to me was listed. Looked the pictures over heavily. Noticed a lot of cobra specific items were missing. But it had a B head in it. Asked for vin. Turns out it's a swap car. Needs paint (primed). Needs interior work. AC doesn't work etc. Pointed out it's not a real cobra "Okay I'll come down to 3500, I really need to sell it". 3500 + 3k in paint + all those other parts does not equal the value of a swapped GT. No thanks.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
So I'm continuing to strike out. And the funny part is, cars that really aren't worth all that much being overpriced, or just not worth it.

Looked at a 95 Cobra Monday - Passenger strut tower rotted out. Paint torched. Interior beat. Engine bay entirely oxidized. Pointed out the rust and he said okay, i'll come down 400 to 4200. Yea, no.

Yesterday a 98 Cobra local to me was listed. Looked the pictures over heavily. Noticed a lot of cobra specific items were missing. But it had a B head in it. Asked for vin. Turns out it's a swap car. Needs paint (primed). Needs interior work. AC doesn't work etc. Pointed out it's not a real cobra "Okay I'll come down to 3500, I really need to sell it". 3500 + 3k in paint + all those other parts does not equal the value of a swapped GT. No thanks.
The biggest issue with the SN95 cars is the fact that most have been abused and destroyed.

Sent from my [mind] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
thats silly, its not like theyre difficult to work on. parts are still readily available both on the aftermarket side and oem replacement side. specialty parts are harder to find but for the most part, you can get what you need.

tuning capabilities aren't anywhere close to what the newer years are like

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
tuning capabilities aren't anywhere close to what the newer years are like
Of course not. In the late 90s and early 2000s the power the GT made was average. It was light years ahead of the lethargic cars before it in the 80s and late 70s. If you made 500hp, you thought you had something impressive. Today 500hp is average, and 1000hp is the magic number.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Of course not. In the late 90s and early 2000s the power the GT made was average. It was light years ahead of the lethargic cars before it in the 80s and late 70s. If you made 500hp, you thought you had something impressive. Today 500hp is average, and 1000hp is the magic number.

I was actually surprised at the lack of enthusiasm from the shops I was contacting about working on my car. One well known shop who's be in the community forever stopped responding to emails after brief communication before hand.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I was actually surprised at the lack of enthusiasm from the shops I was contacting about working on my car. One well known shop who's be in the community forever stopped responding to emails after brief communication before hand.
Doesn't sound like a shop I would want to trust.

Users who are viewing this thread