Are Cams for a 2v worth it?

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
have any of you had experience with stage 1 vs. stage 2? is stage 1 even worth it? i like the idea of less danger of PTV contact, but if i'm going to go through the work, i want to hear the lope. if its a 5hp difference, i may just stick with the stage 1.

it will only be about 5 hp difference. for a street car, the 262ah(stg1) is a much better choice. you will have more usable power. more tq starting at 35-3800 vs 4500 for the 270ah. with your 3.73's all you need are some LT's and you'll have a pretty decent performer. the only thing is, you'll probably change your mind about selling it;-);-)

Daywalker

Established Member
I have a set of the comp XE270AH cams in my 2V, and I love em. As far as the "worth", I'd say it's worth it if you're happy with the results. Good luck!

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
worth it +1 my very first stang was an 00GT. comp cams (dont remember exact spec), accufab t/b, LTH, 4.10's, pullys, CAI, the works a true full bolt on. I LOVED that car-ie. cams make good power, especially WITH SUPPORTING MODS...and they can add a lovely sound

silver02stang

Just a GT
Established Member
i know that if i go with the stage 2 i will have to go with upgraded valve springs also which will allow me to rev higher,... but how high is enough? does anyone know what kinda rpm's the stock short block can handle?

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
6500 or so...its hit or miss really. my old GT w/cams quit making power at 6500 and i was really hard on it. red lining from time to time. never had any problems

silver02stang

Just a GT
Established Member
will the rev limit be determined by the springs you choose or the crank... what really determines the rev limit? when you stop creating power???

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I put a set of comps on my 00gt with shorties, flows, rear cat delete, accufab tb/plenum, intake, 3.73s and a tune it put down 289 rwhp. i got new springs and the pistons where flycut. I like it. DOIT! DOIT!:rockon:

silver02stang

Just a GT
Established Member
I put a set of comps on my 00gt with shorties, flows, rear cat delete, accufab tb/plenum, intake, 3.73s and a tune it put down 289 rwhp. i got new springs and the pistons where flycut. I like it. DOIT! DOIT!:rockon:

what do you mean "the pistons were flycut"?... and by springs i'm assuming you're talking about valve springs.:shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread