Are car wash brushes okay to use?

Unrealford

Established Member
For my DD I would do this, but for my Mustang I like the 2 bucket method of and clean wheel wheels and bottom 6 inches with bug and tar remover or hot water.
Like I said, brush used in the video and method used I would only use on DD, I like to rinse sponge or brush after each panel.

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
For my DD I would do this, but for my Mustang I like the 2 bucket method of and clean wheel wheels and bottom 6 inches with bug and tar remover or hot water.
Like I said, brush used in the video and method used I would only use on DD, I like to rinse sponge or brush after each panel.

Thanks, I've heard of the 2 bucket method, but don't really know how it works. I'll look up some videos of how its done.

1hot281

Established Member
Thanks, I've heard of the 2 bucket method, but don't really know how it works. I'll look up some videos of how its done.

2 bucket method

[youtube_browser]TWyz1p6ubaI[/youtube_browser]

Another great tool and method, is using a foam gun/cannon/lance

[youtube_browser]_SS66yCEtwQ[/youtube_browser]

I use a combo of the two... presoaking the car with foam from the foam lance, then washing with the two bucket method.

04dreamcobra

When it runs, it's fast...
Established Member
I would NEVER use a car was brush even on my DD. I remember growing up and seeing for myself kids putting stuff in the brushes that would scratch your paint so bad. I do the soap on car method. Put soap on the car itself, start on the top and work your way down. I never even use a bucket. Soft mit and I dry each section after I rinse it. So... Soap on top, wash, rinse, dry, move to next area. This is really good for hot day. I never have spots or anything like that. It does take a little bit longer but that doesn't bother me.

RC-5.0

Established Member
Agree on no brush, but IMO, the 2 bucket method is anal. If you rinse the car off well first, and just keep the mitt clean (and use a strainer grate at the bottom of your bucket) you should not have any issues. I have NEVER put any swirls or scratches on my paint using only 1 bucket.

Now, having said that, if you want to take the extra time because it's your "baby", then go right ahead. JS, it's not really necessary.
RC

PoohBear

I am the Red Cyclone
Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I'll go ahead and try the double bucket method as I have several around the house already. I just need to get me a really nice mitt. As for the Foam gun, thats next on my list to get. I'll more than likely ty the Chemical Guys shampoo as they're about 10 minutes away from my house.

football76

Established Member
Look up optimum no rinse. I used to follow the 2 bucket method religiously until I found this stuff. My car is still swirl free (Kona Blue).

dom418

Established Member
Agree on no brush, but IMO, the 2 bucket method is anal. If you rinse the car off well first, and just keep the mitt clean (and use a strainer grate at the bottom of your bucket) you should not have any issues. I have NEVER put any swirls or scratches on my paint using only 1 bucket.

Now, having said that, if you want to take the extra time because it's your "baby", then go right ahead. JS, it's not really necessary.
RC

I agree. My black 04 is perfect and I've never used the 2 bucket method. Of course mine is not a DD. I wash the wheels and bottom half of the car with different water and wash mitts though. Then I do the rest with fresh water and a clean mitt. Just be careful and rinse the car very well.

Unrealford

Established Member
If that's working especially on a black car that's awesome.
I've been hooked on 2 buckets because I've seen what was left in rinse bucket that normally gets scrubbed into paint.

RC-5.0

Established Member
If that's working especially on a black car that's awesome.
I've been hooked on 2 buckets because I've seen what was left in rinse bucket that normally gets scrubbed into paint.

That can be removed without having to use the "2 bucket method". I rinse the mitt if I think there has been a lot of dirt removed with it (which usually is not..just cleaning dust or water spots usually). Even if you dont go THAT far, I use a strainer rack at the bottom. If I dont rinse the mitt with clean water, wring it out in the bucket before taking on fresh soapy water. Most of the residue stays on the bottom.
I guess it really depends how dirty the car is when you start. Mine is rarely that bad since I only drive about 200 miles per week on average since I got the car 14 months ago.

RC

mach14604

Established Member
I would NEVER use a car was brush even on my DD. I remember growing up and seeing for myself kids putting stuff in the brushes that would scratch your paint so bad.

Um exactly what he said. Don't not use the brush:nono:. I cringe every time I am at a car wash and think about the brush. Think about how many people use this to wash there car and how much dirt is in the brush. It would take one stone or large piece of dirt in that brush to scratch the hell out of a car.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Yeah I've never noticed swirls using only one bucket. Keep the mitt clean, mine floats on the top anyways. I use the foam block mitts that have the squares on em. Any shit it picks up goes between the blocks and not back into the paint.

harricanfloyd

Established Member
I am late yes, but never use an auto brush....first off it...how many times has that thing been on the ground...second, I've seen people cleaning motors with degreaser sprayed on the motor.....scrubbing wheels with wheel cleaner and then right to the hood lol...I shreik in horror... People think I'm an A hole for telling them they are killing their paint but it's true..

stangfreak

Established Member
two buckent method for me. along with a foam gun. I also dont buy wash mitts and other cleaning items at auto zone and shit. No. only certain things touch my cobra.

stangfreak

Established Member
2 bucket method

[youtube_browser]TWyz1p6ubaI[/youtube_browser]

Another great tool and method, is using a foam gun/cannon/lance

[youtube_browser]_SS66yCEtwQ[/youtube_browser]

I use a combo of the two... presoaking the car with foam from the foam lance, then washing with the two bucket method.

:rockon:

yes. I combine my foam gun and also a two bucket method. My neighbors look at me and think im nuts when im out on saturday afternoon cleaning my car. its a whole day event.

I put on some tunes, I get some beer, and just relax. It's my time.

Users who are viewing this thread