Are coil-overs worth it?

Jpjr

Established Member
Rootus said:
I am having a hard time getting comfortable with putting the entire weight of the car on the lower shock mount.

I just got off a short phone conversation with MM, and got their opinion. He said that the car would feel a little unbalanced with just the coilovers on the front, but it would not be dangerous or anything like that. Just "different", to use his words, because essentially you are running two different types of suspensions on the same car.

So I asked him if he had ever heard of the lower shock mount breaking on an IRS, and he said "Never." That helps boost my confidence somewhat, but I will need to think about it some more.

Dave

No, and that's another reason why you need thier 4 bolt CC plates. Lots of cars have a rear strut setup so I don't know why it would be such a big deal besides the design change.

iismet

Established Member
Jpjr said:
No, and that's another reason why you need thier 4 bolt CC plates. Lots of cars have a rear strut setup so I don't know why it would be such a big deal besides the design change.

I don't see what this has to do with RCO?

iismet

Established Member
Rootus said:
So I asked him if he had ever heard of the lower shock mount breaking on an IRS, and he said "Never." That helps boost my confidence somewhat, but I will need to think about it some more.

Dave

Yes - this and the Coke can problem originally drove my choices also. I did not realize what a problem it was going to be to balance the rear rate to front. Ride means much to me on a street car. Hopefully the rear shock towers can be adequately braced.

Like everything, everything is a compromise.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
iismet said:
Yes - this and the Coke can problem originally drove my choices also. I did not realize what a problem it was going to be to balance the rear rate to front. Ride means much to me on a street car. Hopefully the rear shock towers can be adequately braced.

Like everything, everything is a compromise.

To be honest if we are talking about structural strenth I honestly believe the rear shock towers are significantly stronger then the front strut towers especially given the mounting configuration. I have over a year now on front and rear coil-overs and haven't had any problems with them.

Jpjr

Established Member
iismet said:
I don't see what this has to do with RCO?

i was essentially comparing a coil-over to a macpherson strut, which lots of cars use in the rears to support the load. could be a bad comparison though..

Rootus

BANNED
Established Member
toofast4u said:
To be honest if we are talking about structural strenth I honestly believe the rear shock towers are significantly stronger then the front strut towers especially given the mounting configuration. I have over a year now on front and rear coil-overs and haven't had any problems with them.
What kind of bracing are you using between the strut towers and shock towers?

Dave

iismet

Established Member
iismet said:
Notice he does not see Delrin in RLCA as a "must have" for a 350/550 setup. However, if it had even close to the same result as the Poly IRS bushings, why wouldn't you want to - except for cash of course!

Maximum does have RLCA & RUCA Delrin bushings.

Matt Main - Maximum Motorsports said:
There will be a discount when purchasing both set of bushings together. If you were to purchase the MMIRSB-1&2 they retail at $548.00; with discount $498.68.
Depending on how much you want to spend and replace at one time we have another kit that comes with those UCA and LCA bushings along with the Subframe kit MMIRSU-1, Differential bushing in either urethane or aluminum and a bumpsteer/adjustable tie rod end kit. If you were to get all those parts together the kit price with urethane differential bushings is $718.07. They would retail at $797.85. If you were to want that kit with aluminum differential bushing the kit price would be $898.07 with all parts purchased individually the cost would be $997.85. This will drastically reduce wheel hop, if not completely eliminate it especially with the aluminum differential bushing kit. Everything minus the Delrin UCA bushings are on the website.

The ‘00 R Bilstein will handle up to a 650lb/in. spring with no issues.

We do not need to re-valve the 00R shock.

iismet

Established Member
Rootus said:

Dave

William Mathis - CC said:
I know the coilover conversions are very popular, but I am not such a big fan when it comes to a production vehicle. The chassis of the Mustang was not designed for coilovers, particularly in the rear. The loading points on the rear lower control arm create a torque on the arm that constantly stresses the piece. The rear upper damper mounting point is very weak in these cars. Extended street use, without proper bracing, can cause structural failure. I have seen the welds around the rear mounts fail in several Mustangs where the owners went to coilovers without installing sufficient bracing. Constant exposure to potholes and rough street conditions cause very high stress to this area, inducing a residual strain that eventually will deteriorate the metal structure. The adjustability and precision of the coilover system is very intoxicating. Just know what you are getting into.
Given that, the MM and Greggs units are excellent and will provide better frequency control than the production units. The AFCO pieces I mentioned previously are pretty cool, but do require some engineering to install. Clearly the packaged kits from MM or Greggs are a much easier route.

I live in the Peoples Republic of Oregon. Here, we feed Bureaucrats as opposed to fixing our roads. The above post is my reasoning for RSTB on a Mustang.

iismet

Established Member
toofast4u said:

Maybe Florida DOT is good to you. What about those nasty storms blowing in from the South? Wow!

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Rootus said:

Dave

I don't have either currently. I have just purchased the HANs rear shock tower brace which should be here Friday. I am still debating on doing the MM shock tower brace which would require me to relocate my KB oil catch can.

03RedCobra

Established Member
iismet said:
I live in the Peoples Republic of Oregon. Here, we feed Bureaucrats as opposed to fixing our roads.

My sister used to live in Oregon, and she said the big problem they have out there is that they don't HAVE any money to fix the roads, Big reason..........NO state Sales tax. That's a pretty stupid move in a state that doesn't have much money coming in anyways. Too many Granola-eating hippies complaining about "Big-brother", that's why they will probably never have sales tax.

Rootus

BANNED
Established Member
03RedCobra said:
My sister used to live in Oregon, and she said the big problem they have out there is that they don't HAVE any money to fix the roads, Big reason..........NO state Sales tax. That's a pretty stupid move in a state that doesn't have much money coming in anyways. Too many Granola-eating hippies complaining about "Big-brother", that's why they will probably never have sales tax.
This is getting way off-topic, but oh well...

People frequently assume that because we have no sales tax, we somehow pay less taxes than everyone else. Oregon actually ranks very near the average for the nation. We may not have sales tax, but we have a 9% income tax instead, along with property tax. The average tax burden in Oregon is 9.5% of income, as compared with the national average of 10%.

There is no way in hell I would vote for a sales tax at this point, unless it involved removing some other existing taxes.

Dave

iismet

Established Member
03RedCobra said:

Sensative subject!

Sounds like your sister (like so many here) was hypnotized by the creature. If I had to guess she etiher worked for the creature, had kids in school, or is a product of a liberal arts school. Oregon is one of the highest taxed states in the Union. The last time I checked we were at number 8 (falling from number 5 in the early ninties). Our median income is around the middle and falling. We have one of the highest unemployment rates in the country landing between 1 and 5 since 9-11. Even our gasoline tax ranks at the very top $.44/gallon.

We don't have money because the frigging creature eats it faster than we can feed it to him. We rely on income and property taxes to feed our little friend. A big problem is the state (combined governnment) is the largest employer (produces no tangible goods). Our last governor (8 years) was growing the state budget at 16%/year while inflation was putting along in the low 3% range while we (the mindless) sat back and paid. During his tenure the market was booming as was Oregons cash flow. Oregon has lost 35,000 manufacturing jobs since 2000 (electronics supply chain). Our income tax revenue follows the market but the creature got used to Caviar, is hungry all the time, and refuses to stop eating.

Did I mention a Public Employee Retirement System that funded at 6% while guaranteeing an 8%/year return on investment. Brilliant! (average private sector funding in Oregon is 3% and no guarantee on return)

I agree completely a sales tax makes the most sense, but only if it replaced both property and income taxes. In our case, the best solution is financial implosion on the State Side, as that is the only way we (the people) will wake up to the reality of available resources and reform the creatures eating habits.

03RedCobra said:
Too many Granola-eating hippies complaining about "Big-brother", that's why they will probably never have sales tax.

The problem is a high population density of anti-business, Granola-eating hippies (Multnomah County), who embrace big government, and to a large extent control the outcome of state voting. Lot's of them work for the creature.

As mindless as we are, everyone knows the creature will never offer a sales tax in lieu of the other extortion mechanisms.

Oh yea - I am beyond a big time "Big Brother" complainer.

Probably should stick with the lower shock bolt shearing - can you imagine what a mess that would be?

iismet

Established Member
Rootus said:
This is getting way off-topic, but oh well...

People frequently assume that because we have no sales tax, we somehow pay less taxes than everyone else. Oregon actually ranks very near the average for the nation. We may not have sales tax, but we have a 9% income tax instead, along with property tax. The average tax burden in Oregon is 9.5% of income, as compared with the national average of 10%.

Dave,

Are you a Property Owner?

What County?

When considering taxation, all sources of taxation should be considered. I do not agree the income tax is the only significant source of funding although the creature likes selling it that way if it suits his feeding schedule. We fund schools with property taxes. My bill this year was $4200.00 with a guaranteed increase of 3% per year. I believe around 90% of that was allocated to school funding. This amount has to be added to the amount of income tax along with all other sources (city,state,county) and then checked against your income. That is a representation of how much you are giving to keep the creature satisfied.

You do realize Multnomah county is the only county in the US to implement an income tax. It wouldn't pass in any other state demographic.

Cross the river - how much is gas selling for? You may say well it's only a couple of hundred bucks a year difference. I could buy a RSTB and have it welded in for that $200.00.

Rootus

BANNED
Established Member
iismet said:
Are you a Property Owner?
Yep.

What County?
Washington.

When considering taxation, all sources of taxation should be considered.
I agree. I ignore the media outlets since they tend to use questionable numbers. And I ignore anybody who has political motives (i.e. MacIntyre, Sizemore). One place that collects the statistics quite nicely is TaxFoundation.Org. When they say Oregon is ranked 34th, they mean that we are 34th when all revenue streams are totalled and compared to other states on a per-capita basis. The political types tend to pick one type tax that suits their purpose and conveniently fail to mention all others. That way they can say we are the 3rd highest in the nation. And that is true so long as you only consider personal income tax. Property tax, on the other hand, we are 23rd.

Across the river, the gas is cheaper. Except pretty much everything else is more expensive by 8-9% (I don't keep up on what the sales tax in Washington is at any given time, though :)). The only thing I envy about Washington is that they get to pump their own gas! :D

Dave

BenD

Established Member
My Coil Over setup

I started out with a softer setup front and rear based on Info from Griggs, Kenny Brown and Steeda. I finally ended up the season with the following combination.

700lb. 8" x 2-1/2" Hyper Coils on the rear with single adjustable Koni 30 seriers shocks. On the front with 475lb 2-1/2" x 10" Hyper Coils with dbl adjustable Koni 8742's, with MM Lower Control Arms. This along with adjustable sway bars seem to be the Optimum setup for the specific Road Course at PPIR (USSpeedway Series) that I participate in. Maybe on a different course it may not be the best combination, but it seems to work. Rear mounted battery and Kenny Browns rear shock tower brace also help.

My weak points, which will be carefully addressed for next season will be brakes, wheels and tires. I am also adding MM K-Member and Flaming River steering shaft for next season. The latter items should keep me competitive with the GT3's and Ferrari's in the corners, no problem on the straights.

One big disadvantage on our cars especially for Road Racing is the brakes. They are woefully inadequate mainly because they are a two piston floating caliper design.

You simply have to have at very minimum a 4 piston fixed caliper design. Six piston fixed is a must in my book for serious competition with drilled and slotted 14" rotors, especially on the Cobra in front. Rotors are definitely an expendable item and have to be considered as such.

Users who are viewing this thread