Are Corvette Brake Pads the Same as Ours? I Think Tirerack Sent Me the Wrong Pads.

vipergts281

Established Member
I ordered EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads from Tirerack.com for my 03 Cobra. But on the box it says they are for "5.7L Chevy Corvette". I looked at them today and they appear to be the same shape and size. But they have 2 round things on the back of them....picture the cap of a beer bottle turned upside down. I don't recall our pads having these. :shrug:

So are Corvette and 03 Cobra Brake pads the same? Will these fit? Or are these retarded questions?

Thanks.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
Dude thats great.
I ordered two bf kdw's for my 98 Cobra and they sent 12 tires for a tempo or something small like that. I pull up at home and see this stack of tire bound and boxed next to my garage, WTF
YA the UPS guy just leaves a dozen tires for me to deal with. Thanks Tirerack Thanks UPS.
Your lucky you didn't get a bigger box.LOL

JP

Juiced-03

Established Member
Ya I just did brakes on my car, and helped a buddy with his Vette. The brakes are very different. I couldnt imagine them even fitting in the caliper. I know what you are talking about though with the bottlecap things. It's what fits the pad into the front calipers.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Originally posted by JP03SVTSNK10TH
Dude thats great.
I ordered two bf kdw's for my 98 Cobra and they sent 12 tires for a tempo or something small like that. I pull up at home and see this stack of tire bound and boxed next to my garage, WTF
YA the UPS guy just leaves a dozen tires for me to deal with. Thanks Tirerack Thanks UPS.

JP

HAHAHAHA

Thats hilarious :lol1:

I know it sucks, but I got a good laugh out of it :thumbsup: :beer:

Boostin01

Established Member
Dude thats great.

JP

Hey it's not our fault.(UPS)

vipergts281

Established Member
Juiced-03....Thanks. :beer:

JP03SVTSNK10TH- Yikes, they really screwed up your order. You didn't have to pay for shipping them back did you? I better not have to.

I now have to send back two things now. And both of these were supposed to go on my car this Sunday. But not anymore. I ordered a Boost Guage from a place and they sent me something that isn't even close to a boost guage. Damn people, check the order before you ship it.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Tirerack screwed up on my H&R springs also. They overnighted the right springs (on the weekend too!!) and paid for all the shipping. I am very happy with their customer service. They have always made it right for me. Just give them a call and be cool about it, and they should handle it.

NBS4

BANNED!
I've had no problem with the Tirerack. Thinking about going with EBC Red Stuff's for the Cobra.

Have them on the S4 and i love them. 15K miles and they're not even a 1/4th faded yet.

Last edited:

vipergts281

Established Member
Yeah, I will try to find time to call them tomorrow.

They messed up an order of mine before. One of their warehouses is about 40 minutes from me. Well for whatever reason, my package was sent up north, then out west, then finally to me. Then again, maybe that was UPS messing up, who knows.

vipergts281

Established Member
Ok, I just got off of the phone with Tire Rack.

The lady I spoke with said "I know this will sound hard to believe, but some car parts are interchangeable". She was very nice about it.....that may of sounded rude but she wasn't at all. I explained to her that I spoke with someone who changed pads on a Vette and he said they are totally different. She was kind of surprised. But she said she will speak with one of the techs on Monday and call me back and tell me what they said.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
c5 vettes have the same pbr caliper and take the same brake pad as the cobra bullitt and mach 1.

the cobra r brembos take the viper pad.

the stoptechs take a porsche pad.

if your pads look like this, they sent the right ones.

frontbrakepucks.jpg

vipergts281

Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
c5 vettes have the same pbr caliper and take the same brake pad as the cobra bullitt and mach 1.

the cobra r brembos take the viper pad.

the stoptechs take a porsche pad.

if your pads look like this, they sent the right ones.

frontbrakepucks.jpg
Well I'll be damned. They look just like that.

Juiced03- :bash:

j/k :beer:

Thanks ShelbyGuy

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
the miracles of modern technology - you dont need a wrench to do a brake job, just pliers and a c-clamp.

remove wheel
pull e-clip off pin on inside of caliper
pull out pin
lift off caliper
coathanger it or zip tie it so its not hanging by the brake hose
remove outside pad
i crack the bleeder screw at this point because a brake job in my world always means bleeding. i suppose you could leave the top off the master cyl and turkey baster it out as it fills
compress pistons by pushing back on the inner brake pad with channellocks or c-clamp
remove inside pad
reverse process to install

Originally posted by vipergts281
Worn pin?? As in the things on the side of the pads in the pic above?

Juiced-03

Established Member
Sorry man, It's just that the brakes I did on the Z06 were no way at all like ours. In fact, the Z06 brakes were 4 piston calipers. I dont know if they were stock or not, but there is no way they would have fit ours. Glad to hear it worked out though!

hmwave

Established Member
Dude thats great.

JP

Hey, that's enough to start your own business! ;-)

Doc2003Cobra

Established Member
Dude thats great.

JP

OMG that is so funny, would have been also funny if 2 hours later they were all burning in a pile in front of your place.

Users who are viewing this thread