Are these motors noisy?

blitz1029

Established Member
I hear kind of a knock as my motor starts to get up to 3k rpms. But if I just rev it then I don't hear it. I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow to get checked. Maybe these motors have some valve train noise? This motor has about 1,000 miles and I don't drive it hard.

bluesnake263

Baby hulk
Established Member
fords are notorious for engine tick, but I believe its normal noise due to the lash adjusters. Someone with more knowledge should chime in here tho.

USV8PWR

Established Member
fords are notorious for engine tick, but I believe its normal noise due to the lash adjusters. Someone with more knowledge should chime in here tho.

Shoot just Ford?!? The LS3 in my 2008 Corvette Coupe sounds like a damn sewing machine. Modern day engines and their injectors just make ticking or sewing machine noises.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
I hear kind of a knock as my motor starts to get up to 3k rpms. But if I just rev it then I don't hear it. I'm taking it to the dealership tomorrow to get checked. Maybe these motors have some valve train noise? This motor has about 1,000 miles and I don't drive it hard.

If it were valve train noise it would do it all the time, free revving it or not. If it only does it when you're driving it could be transmission or something else, or it could also be bottom end related (like a rod bearing or piston pin issue) that only shows itself under a load. Does it do it in every gear at the same RPM?

raustin0017

Established Member
Knocking is bad...ticking is okay. They are going to toss it on the computer and it probably wont be tossing a code. Have a Tech test drive with you to let them hear for themselves. Good luck...

Kapy

Established Member
Shoot just Ford?!? The LS3 in my 2008 Corvette Coupe sounds like a damn sewing machine. Modern day engines and their injectors just make ticking or sewing machine noises.
Yes to this.

Most noise is coming from the injectors and will make you think it is the valve train.

5.0 guy

Established Member
Yes to this.

Most noise is coming from the injectors and will make you think it is the valve train.

+1 caught my attention from the start but it's normal, I got overly sensitive to my 03 Cobra worried about the infamous "tick" they had on some models.

Users who are viewing this thread