Are we throwing money away for our passion?

blownstang4.6

Established Member
Yes we are, but you have to put the kind of money towards it that you're comfortable with. If spending $40k on it is freaking you out then don't do it. Once a person gets to the point that they don't have money to do other things they want, or start complaining about not having money for this or that, then it's a serious issue if that person continues to dump money into the car. I'm with the real estate guy that posted on the first page. Can I afford to buy a brand new Mustang or spend $40k+ doing an extensive building on my Mach? Yes, but I choose not too because it gives me more satisfaction to do something else with that money.

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
I’m a real estate broker, real estate investor, and I also co-own a Laundry business in NYC for passive income.

Don't make this guy angry!

Maybe these cars will increase in value, but I don't expect them to fetch 150K (then again, the same could be said for AC Cobras, and original GT500s).

Who knows - for now, spend the money and enjoy it or don't and sleep easy at night. There is no right or wrong answer.

Svt_devin

SVT Devin
Established Member
I got to thinking today... I payed 20k for my cobra, down the road these next year's if I do everything I want to it I'll have 30-40k in it easily but it isn't worth that much even tho it's all there. Am I the only one that thinks like this? I don't plan on ever selling the cobra but it just kinda eats at me to know I'm going to be 40k deep and it will still only be worth 20k

Sent from my SM-G955U using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Glad to see other people have thought of it too. I'm a car guy 100%, I live for it. I have no problem putting lots of money in my car just wanted to see how many others have thought the same thing

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
There is no logic, when you are fulfilling a passion. If you can afford to drop that kind of coin into a car, have at it. If you are questioning the why and what for, you probably should reevaluate your goals, going forward.
There's no logic in life, you are gonna die. Have fun within reason and live.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chancey

Auto Affection
Established Member
I got to thinking today... I payed 20k for my cobra, down the road these next year's if I do everything I want to it I'll have 30-40k in it easily but it isn't worth that much even tho it's all there. Am I the only one that thinks like this? I don't plan on ever selling the cobra but it just kinda eats at me to know I'm going to be 40k deep and it will still only be worth 20k

Oh yeah...I am one of those too! There is no way at all to justify modding and even most “muscle cars” as an investment for return. I am decently frugal on all other things in my life. But cars have always been my vise and passion. I love an overpowered nice car. Always have/ always will. Dont get me wrong, my kids will never go hungry for me to have a hot rod, but I love driving and working on them so much. No other “hobby” even compares! Now the guy who puts $200,000. in a drag car while his kids and wife live in squalor may need some redirect. But Im happy to put most of my time and money in cars.

Venom2011GT

Established Member
For me, it's like being in a hate/love relationship BUT I try to prioritize & keep it moving. I also don't have any kids so that helps tremendously.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I’m a real estate broker, real estate investor, and I also co-own a Laundry business in NYC for passive income. I earn a pretty healthy living and work my tookus off. I won’t say the exact number, but according to a Wall Street journal ranking system I just used via a quick google search, I’m a top 3%-er in terms of annual income.

All of my savings has gone towards my real estate portfolio, growing and expanding that, as well as the laundry company with my partner since both of those are passive income generating investments.

Let’s just say...there’s a reason I own an 8 year old $30k GT500 and not a brand spanking new Z06 or GT350R. Could I afford a $1,200+ a month car payment?? Yeah. But that’s absolutely stupid.

I view my car money as money I could literally light on fire and not care about. It’s all for fun and feeding a hobby.

I don’t throw a lot of money at my car hobby because I’m a penny pincher with my businesses. I grew up quite poor, so I’m doing all I can now in my late 20’s to set myself up for success and freedom later in life.

If the money you spend on your car stresses you out, you need a cheaper car. Not saying that to be a jerk, but cars are depreciating assets. Again, I view my car money as money I could light on fire and not care about. The Shelby costs me about $900 a month between my loan payment, Garage parking, and insurance. That’s money I see as non essential fun spending. It doesn’t stress me out, I barely think about it. That’s genuinely how you should approach this hobby, or just learn to sleep at night knowing - you ain’t getting ANYTHING back that you put into it other than smiles per gallon and life long friends in the Mustang community.....

Very well stated. Man, if you are this perceptive and only in your 20's, then I give you "two thumbs up". This is exactly the kind of logic that should be taught to kids from an early age. Is 'Robert Kiyosaki' your dad by any chance??? ;)

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I've never felt like I was throwing money away at the terminator....in the realm of automobiles, these cars hold good to almost great value.

Now hookers n blow?!...ya, that's throwing money away lol

noco5.0

Established Member
Life is about choices. I make good money and live in a nice house. I could afford a much bigger house, but what I have meets my needs. I could afford to take a couple of fancy vacations every year, but it doesn't do much for me and feels like a waste of money. I choose to spend my disposable money on nice cars. I don't have anything exotic, but my wife and I buy (or lease) something new every few years and I've had a "fun" car in addition to a couple of family vehicles for the last 20 years. I used to heavily modify cars, but have kind of stopped doing that for the most part. I enjoy well engineered OEM cars now more than something heavily modified, but it was fun when I was younger and had more time to tinker.

Iamchris

Shakey Snake
Established Member
Yes, it is a waste of money. But atleast you are starting with a foundation that has done most of its depreciation. Lots of people start with a 60K car and end up with a 20K car before the mods even start. Look at Corvettes for some steep depreciation.
That said, separate your wants from your really wants... thought I was going to say needs? No, we are on a Cobra forum, we are past that. If you can stomach paying 40k in mods, then do it... if not, put the money somewhere else.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
If your smart you find a car that's pretty much the way you want it already. Then go through it with a fine tooth comb before purchase. I have maintained mine for 5 years adding little things here and there as well as scheduled maintenance. Had not cost me much... then I finally got around to swapping fuel pumps and retuning for e85... Under a 1000 bucks. Ill be over 700rwhp. That's a fast street car.
Only down size is it's not modern or comfortable but it's a true drivers car.

2004 Cobra 2.9 Whipple

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread