Are you freaking kidding me? I bought the wrong car!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
damn maybe I should turbo my 2012 titanium hatch.

and can someone please tell me a little more about DELL? bells are going off in the back of my mind. I seem to recall the name but can't place where. is he from OKC or Tulsa per chance?

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
Jimmy's to blame for this....

IMG_2190.jpg

...well, and that I retired the Cobra. :D

Greg, what mods have you done to your SVTF? I'm highly considering getting one for a track toy now that my Faleen is sold. Either this or a Miata:shrug:

How is a FWD on the track compared to a RWD? I'm sure its a lot different, but I'm so used to the cobra and can't imagine how the difference would be in a smaller, lighter, less hp, FWD car would be.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member

and can someone please tell me a little more about DELL? bells are going off in the back of my mind. I seem to recall the name but can't place where. is he from OKC or Tulsa per chance?

Dell Hughs, from the OK area? He was involved with SVTOA On-Track and Track Guys with Jeff Lacina, but I'm not sure of the details.

Oh, terrific guy, BTW. :D

Last edited:

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Greg, what mods have you done to your SVTF? I'm highly considering getting one for a track toy now that my Faleen is sold. Either this or a Miata:shrug:

How is a FWD on the track compared to a RWD? I'm sure its a lot different, but I'm so used to the cobra and can't imagine how the difference would be in a smaller, lighter, less hp, FWD car would be.

I put in a Steeda CAI, short-shifter, all fresh fluids and Hawk HP+, and that was it. I was running on the Nitto Neo-Gen that came on the car.

It was a blast to drive, but I did find I had to drive it differently. Not so much a momentum thing, my Cobra was only pushing 293 hp, and weighed 10 tons. So it never had the huge power out of turns, and I was already used to treating tracks accordingly. But with the Focus, I was not able to rely on torque as much as the Cobra. More rowing of the gearbox rewarded me in lower lap times.

In the Carousal at Summit Point I sometimes used lift-throttle oversteer to turn in faster. With the Focus, I would stab the throttle, and it would lift the inside rear and turn in faster. Didn't take long to get used to.

For a fast track like Summit Point main and VIR, my competition is Miatas and other small 4 bangers. I hope to get it to Summit Point-Shenandoah later this year, a much tighter track. I expect to put in more passing there. :banana:

wheelhopper

Established Member

Don't do it. I had a friend of mine try supercharging and turbo charging his and it led to nothing but a long string of problems. Your best bet is to do some standard NA mods and be happy with a moderate increas in power, then concentrate on the suspension and weight reduction. If you want a small turbo car get a new Focus ST or Fiesta ST.

I am planning to get the Fiesta ST. I figure a I can easily get it to 220whp and down to 2200lbs. Plus I could fit two in my trailer.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I'm looking at retiring the Cobra for a track-prepped Miata. I've got to lower the cost of consumables if I want to continue this hobby. Additionally, my Cobra is too nice to turn into a trackrat.

I'd consider the SVTF but I don't think I'd like the FWD

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Don't do it. I had a friend of mine try supercharging and turbo charging his and it led to nothing but a long string of problems. Your best bet is to do some standard NA mods and be happy with a moderate increas in power, then concentrate on the suspension and weight reduction. If you want a small turbo car get a new Focus ST or Fiesta ST.

I am planning to get the Fiesta ST. I figure a I can easily get it to 220whp and down to 2200lbs. Plus I could fit two in my trailer.
o Focus ST is high on my list. I may sell my mystichrome and buy one.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
I'm looking at retiring the Cobra for a track-prepped Miata. I've got to lower the cost of consumables if I want to continue this hobby. Additionally, my Cobra is too nice to turn into a trackrat.

Both Scott and Troy have gone from Cobras to race Miatas. Might want to chat with them.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...peration-hamster-swap-has-been-initiated.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...03/796938-sold-cts-v-picked-up-track-rat.html

Viking42

Established Member
I had an '03 Focus ZX3 with H&R race springs, Gaz adjustable shocks and struts, Falken RT-215s and an AEM RAI, but otherwise stock. I surprised a good amount of people at a little track day a local car club put on at Gainesville Raceway. I added an HKS exhaust and H&R rear sway bar, but traded the car in on a '05 Mustang GT just before the next track day...

Another option for people looking into the SVTF would be a 2.3L PZEV equipped ZX3. The car is lighter than the SVTF and makes more low end torque making it quicker around the typical autocross course, drivers being equal.

Last edited:

flS/R

Established Member
Jimmy, the reasoning you state above is why I ended up with a 135i BMW. It is like driving a go cart around the twisties compared to my 04 cobra. And not to take anything away from my old cobra because it was nasty.

bmw 135 are nice looking little cars. I have always wanted to try one out for this reason

Jimmy's to blame for this....

IMG_2190.jpg

...well, and that I retired the Cobra. :D

this svtf looks great in that color.

I used to think the same thing, but FWD is more friendly on wet/frozen roads

I had an '03 Focus ZX3 with H&R race springs, Gaz adjustable shocks and struts, Falken RT-215s and an AEM RAI, but otherwise stock. I surprised a good amount of people at a little track day a local car club put on at Gainesville Raceway. I added an HKS exhaust and H&R rear sway bar, but traded the car in on a '05 Mustang GT just before the next track day...

Another option for people looking into the SVTF would be a 2.3L PZEV equipped ZX3. The car is lighter than the SVTF and makes more low end torque making it quicker around the typical autocross course, drivers being equal.

even another option would be the 99-00 zx2 s/r. They are lighter than both of these cars and come equipped with borla, no speed governor, B&M, eibach springs and a few other goodies from the factory. Plus lower center of gravity and no hatch to worry about for body flex.

either way, the SVTF is an affordable, fun little car to drive around if you remember to do the timing belt before it breaks :rockon:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member

It's a lot of fun. You point the front wheels where you want to go and stay in the gas. The rear will follow.. Torsen differentials are a must on FWD track cars.

a1yola

1998 Cobra #5061 FALEEN
Established Member
I know this is a ford forums, but would you guys suggest an svtf or Miata? What would be the pros and cons?

flS/R

Established Member
yeah, a miata would be the car to get if you plan on the autox. The low center of gravity, small size, power output and aftermarket are all there for that car and that would make all the difference

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Yep. They're both fun, but the only advantage the SVTF has is hauling a lot more groceries, and a bit more exclusivity (my God Miatas are everywhere).

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Miata ! Hands down ! The differential for my VW DSG was $1300 and that doesn't include labor to install it.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Probably Miata, even though NASA has (or had?) a focus class, you always see a few miatas running around the track and none to very few Foci. So I see more advancement for a Miata.

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Also, track-ready Miatas are pretty easy to find.
It does depend on how much of a track car you want. I think a Focus might be better for a street car you just want to track a little (because I think its a better street car), where a Miata will be better as a hard core track dog.

Users who are viewing this thread