ARH and X-pipe install quesion

s.hammer

Established Member
So my fingers are just beginning to work again after installing a set of American Racing headers and x-pipe on Friday, the new set up is definitely longer and I do need to cut off about an inch or so. The question is, where is the best place to cut? X-pipe only had about 3 inches to fit into the factory clamps at the cat back section of the exhaust. Anyone have any experience on this?

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
I had the same issue with my ARH setup. You have two options, either attempt to move the motor forward on the mounts, or trim the pipe. I put some band clamps around the end of the H pipe and took a sawzall to it. Same as you, right around an inch.

Factory clamps are more than long enough to cover up any gap if you have any.

s.hammer

Established Member
07262015 023.JPG The silver part is the 3" or so connection point, x-pipe flairs to 3" diameter at the point of the black powdercoat

Hourigan218

Established Member
Sorry to change the thread a little but I have the ARH with a catted x and now want an off road H. Any of you guys swapped the mid pipe out? Plus can't seem to find just the mid H pipe.

Bad Company

Established Member
They look great but why did u powdercoat everything
There not powder coated. They are ceramic coated. The ceramic coating retains the exhaust heat in the header, instead of allowing it to permeate through the steel as quickly into the engine compartment. This help lower under hood temperatures, plus makes the headers more efficient in flow as velocity of the exhaust gases stay higher.

Bad Company

Established Member
Sorry to change the thread a little but I have the ARH with a catted x and now want an off road H. Any of you guys swapped the mid pipe out? Plus can't seem to find just the mid H pipe.
Borla makes a mandrel bent 2 3/4" mid-pipe. I also installed the ARH 1 7/8" LT with an X-pipe. I trimmed my mid-pipes 5/8" to get the mufflers in the proper location. The terminating point of the ARH LT and X-pipe are this much longer than the stock system.

ARH is now making a complete 3" mid-pipe system. Unfortunately it requires a muffler that will have that large of an inlet also. I've though about upgrading mine and modifying the Corsa mufflers to work with this.

Last edited:

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
There not powder coated. They are ceramic coated. The ceramic coating retains the exhaust heat in the header, instead of allowing it to permeate through the steel as quickly into the engine compartment. This help lower under hood temperatures, plus makes the headers more efficient in flow as velocity of the exhaust gases stay higher.

I wasn't sure if he actually had them powder coated or meant ceramic coated I don't think powder coat could hold up to the heat. I'm very familiar with ceramic coating I'm actually waiting for my American racing headers and H pipe to get coated now.

paluka21

Established Member
I had them done with Cerakote by a local company. Was looking to keep heat away from the engine.

Yes I had this done with a set of headers to keep down on the heat in the engine bay. It definitely seemed to work, but over time the coating started changing colors. Unfortunately this was on a Windsor motor so you could see the headers in plain sight in the engine bay. :uh oh:

s.hammer

Established Member
I can tell you, the day we installed them, 2 hours after I parked the car, the headers, cats, and engine were still holding a ton of heat. Put it back on the lift a couple of days later to check bolts and cut the x-pipe, after the same distance drive to the shop, longtubes and x-pipe were cooled off inside of 15 minutes. This is a great mod for people that track there car, as long as you are not tracking where there are strict noise regulations.

Users who are viewing this thread