Article Bashes on SN95's

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
Just one sentence from the article "They never had a drag racing shootout named after them, they weren't fast enough to be monsters on the street, and they certainly won't be remembered for the way they look." have they ever seen fully built sn95s race before? Sexy and fast

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
My opinion he is spot on with damn near everything.

I remember when the Probe was supposed to replace the mustang.
I remember the 4.6 being a dog and everyone hated it in the beginning.
Not many motor builders build 4.6 SOHC, most GTs are beat to hell and the cobra is more sought after.

IMO everything he said is truth.
It was a bastard stepchild so to speak but it did lead to the New edge, the 03 cobra and all the way to the current stang.
Die hard guys like me back then were pissed to get away from the 5.0 and go with the 4.6
It saved the mustang line but at the same time it sucked.

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
My opinion he is spot on with damn near everything.

I remember when the Probe was supposed to replace the mustang.
I remember the 4.6 being a dog and everyone hated it in the beginning.
Not many motor builders build 4.6 SOHC, most GTs are beat to hell and the cobra is more sought after.

IMO everything he said is truth.
It was a bastard stepchild so to speak but it did lead to the New edge, the 03 cobra and all the way to the current stang.
Die hard guys like me back then were pissed to get away from the 5.0 and go with the 4.6
It saved the mustang line but at the same time it sucked.

You have a good point, from a back in the day stock perspective they were a bit sad but with mods they shine when i read this article i instantly assumed modded Sn95s because no one races an sn95 stock in 2011 lol. (article written in 2011)

Last edited:

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
I guess a few good examples of what really made me assume he was bashing on it was the little things he said that were opinionated such as

"The 1994 through 1998 Mustang, or the SN95 in Ford slang, was a car that should never have existed."
" First, their styling did not age well. Much like all the other cars from the 1990's era, they are very bubbly and cutsie compared to the New Edge with its harder, more refined lines."

" they never caught on with the serious engine builders." I know a few who would disagree :p

"They never had a drag racing shootout named after them, they weren't fast enough to be monsters on the street, and they certainly won't be remembered for the way they look."

if you keep in mind the article was written in 2011 and if hes refering to ALL sn95s modded or not then hes crazy. If hes referring to stock Sn95s yes they are much outdated mechanically even during its time and need a good amount of mods to keep up or be ahead of the game. The way i read the article hes saying stock or not their is nothing about the sn95 thats great. Which i donot agree with whatsoever. He skews true cold hard facts with biased opinions
He mentions stock numbers and says not most will build these motors???

-Agree with the outdated mechanics of the motor if the author is referring to stock :shrug:

-Think hes a moron if hes referring to ALL sn95s

Visually i think they look sexy as hell done up right. Especially (imo) in Mystic, BAB, White, Black, Red, Moonlight.

Yes the sn95 paved the way for everything else but its his opinions of the sn95 it self i was referring to not the cold hard facts he mixs in

Last edited:

Bishop03

4v+DOHC=Big Power
Established Member
Article was solid. He is actually giving our cars a backhanded props. The Cobra's I believe are now appreciating in value. The only piece I would take issue with is the slam on 90's styling. Its my favourite era for cars period!

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
Article was solid. He is actually giving our cars a backhanded props. The Cobra's I believe are now appreciating in value. The only piece I would take issue with is the slam on 90's styling. Its my favourite era for cars period!

The facts he puts out are solid. But his opinions about the car it self such as mentioned above is what I was picking out of the article. Solid facts with arguable opinions such as they are ugly and un buildable

I second that they are one of the nicest looking 90s cars

Last edited:

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
all the sn95 mustangs look good lowered and the correct size wheels under it. but, to me, the 94-98 look a bit better with 17x10.5 or 18x11 on the back and lowered a bit.

the saleen body kits were really helpful too. they look great. hell, even the early oem crab wing looks great.

MysticChaos

Established Member
You need to re-read it.
He is pretty much spot on and in the end says it is the unsung hero of today's cars.
I agree with him. The article is pretty much spot on. I've had one 95 gt, one 95 cobra, and my current 96 Mystic. You either love em or hate em. (Obviously, I love em) They're all lacking in the power department when compared to other performance cars. A bone stock cobra would have a hard time against a Z28, bring on an SS and it's over for the Cobra.

Cobranator

Established Member
A bone stock cobra would have a hard time against a Z28, bring on an SS and it's over for the Cobra.

Not true at all. When it comes to the LT powered F bodies I've seen quite a few road tests where the Cobra was just as fast or a few ticks faster,and even against the early LS1 powered cars they could hold their own.

The article has some merit but the guy forgets that styling is a subjective matter. I personally think the SN95 is the most beautiful Mustang ever built especially the 96-98 Cobras. Even after all these years I can't get used to the styling of the '99 to '04 mustangs something about those that just doesn't sit well with me however styling is something that can't be argued.

Maybe they didn't have drag racing shootout named after them but so what, that doesn't mean anything, Bob Bondurant used them in his high performance driving school series. And as far as having weak engines? Ha the guy obviously is not aware of the fact that the '99 Cobra was a dog before the recall they had on them for not making enough power as advertised. And 320 hp is not a whole lot much more than 305hp especially in a heavier car. Rear wheel hp was much closer.

Just my take on this.

MysticChaos

Established Member
Not true at all. When it comes to the LT powered F bodies I've seen quite a few road tests where the Cobra was just as fast or a few ticks faster,and even against the early LS1 powered cars they could hold their own.

The article has some merit but the guy forgets that styling is a subjective matter.

I'm not talking about road tests, I'm talking about real world experiences in my 95 cobra when I was younger. Unless the guy in the slowmaro or fireturd couldn't drive, I'd have a hell of a time beating him. Maybe it'd a different story in my 96, but I'm a few years older now and don't try racing every Chevy I see.

I do agree with you about styling being subjective though.

Cobranator

Established Member
I'm not talking about road tests, I'm talking about real world experiences in my 95 cobra when I was younger. Unless the guy in the slowmaro or fireturd couldn't drive, I'd have a hell of a time beating him. Maybe it'd a different story in my 96, but I'm a few years older now and don't try racing every Chevy I see.

I do agree with you about styling being subjective though.

Oh I agree about the 94-95 Cobras, 240 hp was just not adequate, I was mostly talking about the 96-98 Cobras being on par or better.

brucesvt

Established Member
After reading the article i felt like 90% of mustang guys feel. We are the red headed stepchild of the mustang world with the exception of the mustang II. But with out the SN95 mustangs we would not have any powerful mustangs we do today.

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member

The article has some merit but the guy forgets that styling is a subjective matter. I personally think the SN95 is the most beautiful Mustang ever built especially the 96-98 Cobras. Even after all these years I can't get used to the styling of the '99 to '04 mustangs something about those that just doesn't sit well with me however styling is something that can't be argued.

Maybe they didn't have drag racing shootout named after them but so what, that doesn't mean anything, Bob Bondurant used them in his high performance driving school series. And as far as having weak engines? Ha the guy obviously is not aware of the fact that the '99 Cobra was a dog before the recall they had on them for not making enough power as advertised. And 320 hp is not a whole lot much more than 305hp especially in a heavier car. Rear wheel hp was much closer.

Just my take on this.

+1 agreed

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I don't think the writer is hating on SN95s. He's spot on. I like that he points out that without the SN, we wouldn't have gotten the terminator nor any of the modern mustangs. Everybody seems to ignore that fact.

An SN's appearance can change drastically simply by lowering it to more normal standards and changing the wheels. I get people admiring mine whenever I take it out, but I bet more people would admire if it was a new edge terminator, mach 1, or a coyote. I need a mach 1 :(

BAB_SVT_Cobra

SVT Powered
Established Member
His personal opinions are questionable but his facts are spot on. I read the article and assumed he was reffering to any and all sn95s including modded

Four cam slam

Bacon Enthusiast
Established Member
Every Mustang after the 98, and to this day including the 15s has been retro themed to look like the old cars.
The Sn95 was so modern looking and was a huge risk in styling. It's still my favorite. With a nice low ride height and proper fitting wheel and tire package they are sexy as hell.:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread