Assistance Identifying a Noise in KB 2.2L Snout

Mike681

Established Member
Hey guys, this morning I started up my 03 cobra, which has a KB 2.2L, and it started making an unfamiliar noise in side the snout and sounded as if two bearings were colliding or something. The sc oil level was fine, and the noise did stop after the entire engine was more warmed up. It's just strange that this has never happened at start up before.

I've got a video on my phone with the noise, but am having trouble converting the .MOV file to anything else for viewing on a computer. Can text it to anyone willing to listen.

Any help in identifying the sound is much appreciated.

Mike681

Established Member
Was it a clanking/slapping noise? Or different?

I have a very faint, but similar noise coming from the supercharger itself, but the sound in the snout literally sounds like two marbles bumping into one another (if that makes sense).

What ended up being the issue with your 2.2?

Last edited:

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
I have a very faint, but similar noise coming from the supercharger itself, but the sound in the snout literally sounds like two marbles bumping into one another (if that makes sense).

What ended up being the issue with your 2.2?

Mine was a worn spider gear. These are pretty common especially in older KBs. You could have similar issue, I would take the snout off and inspect it as its an easy job.

Mike681

Established Member
What was the condition of your spider gear when you inspected it? Worn down, melted or completely gone? Was your seal affected at all?

I spoke with KB tonight and he said, "If you're hearing the "clacking" noise, then you're pretty much going to need to send your whole supercharger in to have it rebuilt, it will save you a bigger headache since your seal is probably deteriorated and is leaking oil so it over heated."

Yeah, I'll take the guy for his word, but in their tech files, it almost reads as if I could just replace the spider coupler. The last thing I want to do is spend 600+ if I don't have to, but I also don't want to completely ruin my 2.2.

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
What was the condition of your spider gear when you inspected it? Worn down, melted or completely gone? Was your seal affected at all?

I spoke with KB tonight and he said, "If you're hearing the "clacking" noise, then you're pretty much going to need to send your whole supercharger in to have it rebuilt, it will save you a bigger headache since your seal is probably deteriorated and is leaking oil so it over heated."

Yeah, I'll take the guy for his word, but in their tech files, it almost reads as if I could just replace the spider coupler. The last thing I want to do is spend 600+ if I don't have to, but I also don't want to completely ruin my 2.2.

Mine was worn and alittle bit burned/blackish (due to overheating most likely). Not sure about my seals but I replaced the spider gear and it solved my problem.

I would look into the spider gear first as its very easy to replace/inspect and go from there. Always check simple things that you can first, as you might end up with a cheap $20 fix, rather than getting a full rebuild.

Mike681

Established Member
Thanks for letting me know. And yeah you're totally right, I'd much prefer the $20 fix. I'm going to pull the front off tomorrow night.

When you replaced yours, did you have any play/lash in either direction of your supercharger pulley once you had the belt off? If so, about how much in terms of inches?

vladSVT

KB FTW
Established Member
Thanks for letting me know. And yeah you're totally right, I'd much prefer the $20 fix. I'm going to pull the front off tomorrow night.

When you replaced yours, did you have any play/lash in either direction of your supercharger pulley once you had the belt off? If so, about how much in terms of inches?

I had some play for sure, thats how I knew something was up.Not sure exactly how much, but I'd say around 1/4in play maybe abit more, you could definitely feel it

Mike681

Established Member
Good to know, because according to their site, 1/2" in play means the seals are shot and the SC needs rebuilding. The guy I spoke with really didn't seem to want to sell me the green spider and oil, but was so insistent on me sending in my SC. Almost makes me wonder...

Users who are viewing this thread