At a Crossroad

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Catch a ride in a Cobra set up for serious handling before you do anything. Someone here has to be close enough for a day trip / ride along / test drive.

Beavis281

Established Member
I really don't see a dilemma. It's paid for. Let it sit in your garage.

I would never steer someone to get rid of their cobra for a vette. That's your call if you want to pick up one of those ugly ass things.

2004cobra615

sssvtsnake
Established Member
Call Maximum Motorsports, night and day difference after you put on one of their grip boxes. Just tell them what you plan on using the car for and they will set you up
Take this guy's advice. MM will give you great advice plus they take care of their customers. Fixing up the rear end to handle the power and proper coilover system for turning with sold steering shaft will dramatically improve your experience.

My cobra has all the goodies from MM (the max grip package) but I can't comment on before and after as I bought it this way. Compared to my stock 01 cobra handling is night and day difference

You in Chicago area ever?

How are your brakes?
You have heavy cast aluminum wheels as well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Thank you all for the replies! You all are certainly helping me stick with what I have! It does make sense financially since everything but the long block is built now.

I already have H&R race springs but certainly need better dampers, My rear is built with the FTBR setup but may need to step the rear back to a 3:55. 3:73's are great if I need to steer with the throttle :). I have thought about going with a coil-over setup but have to do some research on shock tower stress.

I definitely need to upgrade the wheels and tires. I would like to run a close to square setup but need to find out how wide of a front tire I can put on the car. Rivals come in a 275/35R18, 295/35/R18, 315/30/18 and 335.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Best advice since you're contemplating this.....Go drive a C6Z and see what you think. That shouldn't cost a dime. They're everywhere and have become quite affordable compared to what they sold for new. They have a huge aftermarket. Just remember they are easier to come by than clean terminators....so once your terminator is gone, it will become harder to get your hands back on one if you decide you made a mistake. Good luck.

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
Best advice since you're contemplating this.....Go drive a C6Z and see what you think. That shouldn't cost a dime. They're everywhere and have become quite affordable compared to what they sold for new. They have a huge aftermarket. Just remember they are easier to come by than clean terminators....so once your terminator is gone, it will become harder to get your hands back on one if you decide you made a mistake. Good luck.
Are you driving a Z car or do you still have your Cobra?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Are you driving a Z car or do you still have your Cobra?

no, I sold my '06 c6z. It's been gone a while now. But they are fine cars with a pretty state of the art aluminum chassis. They are fun to drive and to me still one of the best looking corvette designs of all time with the wide fenders and traditional round tail lights (not a fan of the c7 design at all). But gm just simply made too many of the c6z's and for far too many years. If they would have capped it at 06-07 I'd probably still own it.....but my god they made like 20k units per year for like 8 years lol

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
They do have a lot of them out there! Certainly not as limited as the 03-04 Cobras. The valve guide issue on the Z's and difficulty working on them are some drawbacks

Silverboost

Established Member
I feel like i am at the same crossroads recently. I love my Cobra, but I feel like I just want something different. I have been thinking a lot lately about getting a C6Z, but scared to make the change due to future regret!

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Also don't forget about the "corvette tax" too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately....the 03/04 cobra is not without it's taxes, either. How about a $569 chin spoiler? lol. And thats at least still available.....lots of terminator parts are long gone never to be made "new" again

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Unfortunately....the 03/04 cobra is not without it's taxes, either. How about a $569 chin spoiler? lol. And thats at least still available.....lots of terminator parts are long gone never to be made "new" again

It would be nice If @LMR could step up to the plate and produce some of these parts and get/use some OE Ford tooling like some of the fox stuff on there site is listed as.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve23

Established Member
If you haven't yet done the suspension, than I don't get why you can say it doesn't handle well. You haven't even thrown a full suspension at it yet and you're already contemplating on giving up.

So I see it 1 of 2 ways. Either you're worried about going all out on the suspension and it still not being good enough. OR, you're mind is already set on a vette and you're just needing affirmation that ot's better to sell the Cobra and hop into a Vette.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member

Not to get off track, but at least the Cobra was a FORD production vehicle. Try getting parts for a 2003 Roush limited production vehicle LOL. Almost impossible..... And at least LMR "might" be able to reproduce some 2003 Cobra parts. Don't think there is much demand for 2003 Roush parts.

OP, I understand the bug, but I say keep your Cobra and modify it to suit your needs. I think you have a fine example of a Cobra and shouldn't let it go.

s281er238

YELLOW MELLOW
Established Member
Ive had my OW Coupe for over 4 years now and getting ready to hit 35k miles! I have been building the car over that time to be a great all around car. Well I have done a few autocross events with the car and I have to say it is a lot of fun and also very challenging to get a chassis built in 1979 to turn and turn well. To add to the complexity the 605RWHP from the VMP TVS doesn't make it easier. I never thought I would ever hear myself say this but I have too much power!
So now here I am at a crossroad, Do I hang onto this car, which since I have owned never seen another OW Coupe in person. Put some money into the suspension and make it turn or do I sell it and pick up a C6 ZO6?

The struggle I have is The cobra is paid for, its an absolute blast to drive and when I do autocross people often comment on how I have my hands full. If I had a Vette and did well at an event the comment would be well you have a vette what do you expect? Im not going to compare the C6 Z to the Cobra because they truly are two different cars with two totally different purposes.

I also know that if I got a Z I would come out of pocket on cash and would not be able to resist the mod bug to improve upon it.

Just curious what other people have done when faced with similar dilemmas, not Corvette specific. What kept you in the Cobra? What ultimately made you decide to part ways?View attachment 432953

How do to like there blower. I'm about to get one for my 04

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BoostedSVT03

Established Member
If you haven't yet done the suspension, than I don't get why you can say it doesn't handle well. You haven't even thrown a full suspension at it yet and you're already contemplating on giving up.

So I see it 1 of 2 ways. Either you're worried about going all out on the suspension and it still not being good enough. OR, you're mind is already set on a vette and you're just needing affirmation that ot's better to sell the Cobra and hop into a Vette.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Your exactly right, a good suspension is a considerable investment and yes I am afraid to make that investment and not get the results I am expecting. That being said I do recognize that this chassis has been around since 1979. The TVS investment although was expensive too was worth it and really separated this car from the rest. Which I'm sure a suspension would do the same!

Another plan is a square tire setup with the largest tires I can run up front.

Z06 are pretty turn key but do have they're drawbacks to include expensive mods and maintenance.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread