Attempt at a Permanent Alternator Fix

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Background: Stock alternator lasted 68,000 miles, 160amp Eagle Auto (ebay rebuild) lasted 22,000. The consensus on here and the other sites is that the heat kills alternators and everyone's factory alternators seem to last the longest (aside from the $400 dollar plus options). This gives us two problems, new oem alternators are no longer in production and the mounting location is on top of the exhaust manifold. It's hard to change the location but a heat shield is possible, more on that, and new oem alternators are out there for cheap.

Tools Needed: Impact wrench (cheapo harbor freight), 9, 10, 13, 15, 23mm sockets, pryin' screw driver, sheet metal, tin snips, gloves, and eyepro

1. Sourcing the alternator (Thanks jrgoffin!): Two options Bosch and AC Delco make new 3.8 V6 alternators that are identical to ours aside from the pulley and post. The Bosch is the most expensive but has only a 12 month warranty and the AC Delco is the cheapest while it has 24 month warranty, your call either works. I went with the AC Delco below.

Why the V6 alternator

2. Converting the alternator: When the new one arrives you will notice the pulley is a small six rib and the post on the rear is oriented the wrong way. Follow the installation write up to remove your non working one Write up courtesy of doodad emphasis on removing the alternator bracket, it saves 30 minutes of grief over the loosen method :bowdown:. Don't worry the parts we need should still be just fine.

Once its out, prior to swapping posts.
20160619_170833_zpsdykmbtng.jpg

Swapping the posts is pretty straightforward. I unbolted the 9mm nut under the red cap (visible on the old alt) and bolted my grungy, but correct, black post on the shiney new alt.

Now for the pulley.
20160619_170816_zpsgw1r6tzi.jpg
While I liked the shiney new pulley, it obviously is too small for our cars so it had to go. Firmly grasp the pulley (while wearing gloves!) and give the pulley nut a quick blip with an impact wrench. I barely felt a tug on the pulley while doing this. I could not find a torque spec for the pulley nut or my strap wrench to hold the pulley with so I simply attached the nut with one blip of the torque wrench while holding the pulley, just like install.

Now we have a NEW OEM alternator for about $150. "But won't the heat just kill it eventually?" Yes it will thus step 3 make a heat shield.

3. Start with a cardoard mock up, it will be roughly triangle shaped fitting between the V of the motor and the fender. Installing from the bottom, the top will wrap over the top alternator bracket were it can be held by the top alternator bolt when you cut the real thing. The bottom should be even with the bottom of you oil filter.
Looking down at the top of the alternator and my mock up:
20160619_201355_zpsuzuprukl.jpg

Once you have the real deal trace it on your sheet metal, my wifes paint roller pan made the ultimate sacrifice. It was steel but thin enough gauge to cut with tin snips by hand. WEAR GLOVES
20160619_201656_zpsi2qnxtzc.jpg
Notice the bunny ears at the top, that's where the alt bolt goes holding your heat shield in place.

Key point, fold the fender side of your heat shield over to avoid nicking any of the rubber lines running along that fender with a jagged edge. I folded the bottom as well to make installation easier/safer. Install from the bottom, fold your rabbit ears over and clamp in place as you bolt the alternator down.
20160619_204621_zpsyrzodusn.jpg

Those with actual fabricating skills will probably be able to build a much more substantial heat shield but I'm limited by tools and materials.

4. Add some cooling. I happend to have a brake duct kit from the previous owner (Thanks Dad!) that has sat on the shelf for the last 7 years so I put it to work. I used the supplied hardware to bolt it to the duct opening in the bumper then threaded the duct through the plastic fender liner bunching a much as possible in the engine bay and zip tying the opening to a coolant line next to the alternator.
20160619_210101_zpssl93vxzj.jpg

20160619_210140_zpsfpynlsop.jpg

Hope this helps everyone with their alternator woes!

Last edited:

*Jay*

Tweeker by trade
Established Member
Premium Member
Ever take note of your volts while cruising on a heat soaked engine??? I am on my second alternator (rebuilt stocker) and still have a noticeable drop in volts while cruising on a heat soaked engine. I have upgraded cables and have been meaning to make a shield to help beat the heat.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Interesting. Nice write up. Never knew the 6 banger alternators are the same minus the pulley. I run a larger aftermarket pulley on mine, so thats good to know if I ever need another alternator.

I've always thought of adding a brake cooling duct and aim it at the alternator to help cool it.

Last edited:

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I'd like to add a third option which is to buy a auto parts store lifetime warranty and swap them out every time they die for free after the initial purchase. Alternator swaps are not that tough after you have done it once.

I do like the heat shield idea. Are you able to track the voltage as the engine comes up to temperature? I'd be interested to see if it helps - and if so - how much it helps.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Ever take note of your volts while cruising on a heat soaked engine??? I am on my second alternator (rebuilt stocker) and still have a noticeable drop in volts while cruising on a heat soaked engine. I have upgraded cables and have been meaning to make a shield to help beat the heat.

It loves cruising. I was seeing 13.7-.9V at highway speeds and 2200 rpm after a quick 2nd and 3rd pull. At idle and fully warmed up, from the romp on the highway :rolling:, it was idling at 12.9-13.2V with max AC, high beams, and radio turned up. I didn't log so I dont have WOT data.

I do like the heat shield idea. Are you able to track the voltage as the engine comes up to temperature? I'd be interested to see if it helps - and if so - how much it helps.

Ill track cold vs hot voltage next time. It may not tell us much as I should have done a "before" data log, but it was Sunday Night and I just wanted to wrap it up.

Last edited:

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Update: It idles at 14.0 following start up and 13.4 when hot (20 min of stop and go traffic) both with only the radio going.

blk02edge

Established Member
mine idles .5v higher when hot just after doing that duct from the fog light bezel. Must do mod for anyone living in super hot climates

Users who are viewing this thread