ATTENTION: Owners of 2011 Mustangs with a shimmy/vibration in the car/steering

argetni

Established Member
Is this problem isolated to manual transmission cars? My auto car is smooth to 140mph! What vin seems to be having the problem?

No, my car is auto and I believe Blown's is too. Blown's and mine were built the same week!

Blown2004Stang

Established Member
Still having the issue.. but, I threw on some drag radials, and never even noticed it at the drag strip this evening.. :)

argetni

Established Member
BIG UPDATE: I have a conference call Tuesday with a Director of Operations at Ford to discuss this issue. Anyone else that has the issue please get me your VIN # to [email protected] ASAP!

Thanks

ybaslo1

Established Member
So, I read your other post. I would like to say, your issue is probably not in your EPAS.

Something seems off. You say it vibrates so bad it gets you sick and you have to slow down to 55, but the dealer can't duplicate the concern? Hmmm.... ok. Have you taken a ride with the service manager to show him your issue, the way you make it sound it is pretty bad.

If what your saying is true, it sounds like you have a wheel/tire issue. When you swapped wheels and tires, the vibration changed and became better or worse.

A simple solution would be to have the dealer hook up an MTS4000 and test it. This tester will give you numbers that you can read and not only will it help tell where the vibration is coming from, it will tell you the amplitude of that vibration. If your dealer doesn't have one, call one that does. If the vibration is between 8 and 15hz, it's a wheel/tire or something spinning at the same speed related (ie. rotors, axles, ect.).

Just an observation, two of your tires are out of spec for roadforce balancing. Spec strait from Ford Motor Company is 20lbs or less. You state that one tire is at 26 and one at 29. I guarantee the spec number is less on exotic cars, so I would go back and get your $100.00 from that guy you know.

Anyways, good luck on your call on Tuesday.

argetni

Established Member
So, I read your other post. I would like to say, your issue is probably not in your EPAS.

Something seems off. You say it vibrates so bad it gets you sick and you have to slow down to 55, but the dealer can't duplicate the concern? Hmmm.... ok. Have you taken a ride with the service manager to show him your issue, the way you make it sound it is pretty bad.

If what your saying is true, it sounds like you have a wheel/tire issue. When you swapped wheels and tires, the vibration changed and became better or worse.

A simple solution would be to have the dealer hook up an MTS4000 and test it. This tester will give you numbers that you can read and not only will it help tell where the vibration is coming from, it will tell you the amplitude of that vibration. If your dealer doesn't have one, call one that does. If the vibration is between 8 and 15hz, it's a wheel/tire or something spinning at the same speed related (ie. rotors, axles, ect.).

Just an observation, two of your tires are out of spec for roadforce balancing. Spec strait from Ford Motor Company is 20lbs or less. You state that one tire is at 26 and one at 29. I guarantee the spec number is less on exotic cars, so I would go back and get your $100.00 from that guy you know.

Anyways, good luck on your call on Tuesday.

The bad vibe that made me feel sick was caused by the exotic car shop doing a bad job on the balancing. The 4th tire shop got them to the point of being decent and then the dealership messed them up again.

I have now sold the stock factory 18's that were balanced like 8 times and am now rolling on the used 19" factory wheels off a 2010 GT. They are still factory balanced and the shimmy is very slight except when in sport mode over 80mph. The interesting thing is once it starts you can still feel it even at 60mph. Keep in mind these 19's were tested on the 2010 GT and were smooth at 115+.

The other owners I am in contact with describe the exact same symptoms. We shall see what the bigwig at Ford has to say, I was advised that he was "aware" of the issue already so that is a great sign!

One owner had his driveshaft replaced and new wheels and tires and no change, same shimmy. Another owner loaded the Procal tune and his car was smooth for several hundred miles then the shimmy came back then it went away again, that was odd.

ybaslo1

Established Member
Thats cool, let us know what the "big wig" says. If nothing prospires, let us know. What is the name of the guy at Ford your going to talk to? If nothing happens, let me know via PM, if you still have an issue, I'll try to help you out. my main concern is to make sure your satisfied with the car. I will tell you this, there have been some unhappy people with their product even thought it was operating as designed. That being said, if you buy a sports car and expect it to ride like a Lincoln, you may disappointed, you should have bought a lincoln.

Just remember this, if you have an issue, and it is "an actual issue," it can be fixed!

argetni

Established Member
Update - out of respect I cannot mention any names of those involved but they are sending a factory technician from Detroit to my local dealer to evaluate my issue. I was told they will do whatever is necessary to resolve the issue.

I am sorry to say that they would not really discuss the other VINs affected by the same exact issue but I will post whatever my resolution is as soon as I have.

argetni

Established Member
I met with the field service engineer yesterday and a certified suspension and handling tech from Ford.

They both drove my car with me in it for 25 miles and both felt the vibration in both the steering wheel and the floor boards.

We then got back to the dealer and took out a brand new 2011 GT with 118 miles on the same 25 mile loop.

IT HAD THE EXACT SAME vibration.

Diagnoses

"normal vehicle characteristic"

So case closed on my car.

AmnDucky

Established Member
I met with the field service engineer yesterday and a certified suspension and handling tech from Ford.

They both drove my car with me in it for 25 miles and both felt the vibration in both the steering wheel and the floor boards.

We then got back to the dealer and took out a brand new 2011 GT with 118 miles on the same 25 mile loop.

IT HAD THE EXACT SAME vibration.

Diagnoses

"normal vehicle characteristic"

So case closed on my car.

Shocking. Never in a thousand years would I have guessed this outcome. Also, I am being sarcastic.

keltymd

Established Member
I am sorry to bring up an old post but myelf and several others are having a driveline vibration issue with our mustangs. Did you ever fix the vibration/shimmy?

Users who are viewing this thread