ATTN: Any Air Force Pilots chime in

redz_02

Established Member
Almost went, wish i did. Played baseball (all district) all the way through highschool and was in the top 5% of my class, Eagle scout, NHS VP, Student counsel, eye sight was perfect and physical perfect and so on. Also knowing some politicians helps. District judge lived next to me, and I met a few officials through scouts. You'll need some letters of recomendation, I sent three. First year you are considered a fish and only get a few days off campus. It's an extremely different school, required pt and so on. Two students were accepted from my High school, me and another guy a few ranks ahead of me. He was also an athlete all district Corner Back for 3 years. He went to play football and dropped out after a month, a military school is a different animal. I decided to not go and went to Texas A&M but after 2 years transferred home to A&M corpus christi where I got a degree in MIS. Been jobless for 2 months and seriously thinking of joining the military. If he wants another good military/civilian school he should look into Texas A&M. There is no other school like it, 1/4 of the student body (around 50,000) is called the Core (name for the ROTC program). They pay for housing and I think meals. Hell the school even had a quote from general Paton.

If he wants to be a pilot halo, or jets, he needs to be an officer (military school or a 4 year degree). I have a friend that is a cobra pilot in the marines, he loves it, graduated from Baylor then went to training for about 2 years and he is now in Iraq. If he wants to go halo and fly the big guns, army or marines are what he wants. Tell him to get ahold of an officer recriuter (not a recriuter), if he has the grades I think the army will pay for school if he goes through summer bootcamp. I have another friend that is an f-18 pilot who went to some small school in Wash. one of his buddies went to the naval accademy and washed out as soon as he hit jets (black hawk pilot now) so it goes to show you it takes more than an accademy to make a pilot.

bunk22

Established Member
stevieb said:
Update. He just had his eyes tested yesterday, 20-30 uncorrected. Does this unanamously wipe him out of any military flight careers? He was thinking maybe helicoptor (rotorcraft) pilot may have less of a eyesight requirement. Thanks all

The Navy's standard for entry into the flight program is 20/40, correctable to 20/20. There is no difference when it comes to eyesight in what you fly. Fighters, helo's, or props all have the same requirements. The Air Force standards are even more relaxed with 20/70 correctable to 20/20. A big thing that catches guys off gaurd is color vision. There are no waivers for color vision if there is an issue. The Navy is a bit more laxed in that they used the Farnworth Lantarn Light test. If an applicant can't pass the colored dot/number book test, then the he or she can make it as long as they pass the color light vision test.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
bunk22 said:
The Navy's standard for entry into the flight program is 20/40, correctable to 20/20. There is no difference when it comes to eyesight in what you fly. Fighters, helo's, or props all have the same requirements. The Air Force standards are even more relaxed with 20/70 correctable to 20/20. A big thing that catches guys off gaurd is color vision. There are no waivers for color vision if there is an issue. The Navy is a bit more laxed in that they used the Farnworth Lantarn Light test. If an applicant can't pass the colored dot/number book test, then the he or she can make it as long as they pass the color light vision test.

Do the 20/40 or 20/70 scores require a waiver?

bunk22

Established Member
Yellow98SVT said:
Do the 20/40 or 20/70 scores require a waiver?

I believe it is a waiver but not a big deal. Every time you have a flight physical, the upchit is marked that you must wear glasses when you fly.

Users who are viewing this thread