Attn: Cobra'03! Oil question for ya.

SVTyballz

Established Member
Getting ready to buy some Amsoil. Was reading up on the specs and I found that the XL-7500 5w-20 conforms to the specs: FORD WSS-M2C153-H. Which is what Ford states in the owners manual as the specification to adhere to. The Series 2000 0w-30 that you use conforms to the specs: FORD ESE M2C-153G. What is the difference in the specs? And why do you use the Series 2000?? From what I can understand from the charts, the 2000 is better oil, but is it worth 50% more, because that's what the price reflects?? I like to change my oil every 3000 miles so I'm not sure that the Series 2000 is worth the extra money. Or is it really ok to change the oil less frequently if one is using the Series 2000 amsoil??? If anyone can answer these question, you can. Thanks in advance.

gary

Cobra'03

Established Member
Both use PAO base stocks. The Series 2000 has a better additive package, both in terms of anti-wear, TBN, and all the the other indices of quality oil. It is designed to be used for a longer duration service life, than XL-7500. It has higher levels of zinc compounds (ZDP) and phosphorous, which provide best wear protection but can over very long time take out the catalytics prematurely.

I do not know the specifics of Ford specs, but we can infer that they are centered around the low viscosity of 5w20, and making sure that the Vis/SUS ratings are in the specifcation needed to meet EPA's strict guidelines for energy conserving oil - see my "expose" of same in previous threads. And, it will meet the low phosporous spec that is good for Ford, not so good for you.

Is it worth it? I cannot answer for you. XL-7500 is a fine lube, and will meet the "requirements" of Ford - it does not meet mine in the 5w20 for previously posted reasons. I generally use the best lube I can find and cost be damned - but I also will time out on the oil before I mile out, meaning ina year I will drive no more than 3000 miles. So it is perhaps smarter for me to use a lesser 5w30 Amsoil or Mobil 1 - but I have 2 gals of Series 2000 in the garage, so I have time to make a decision. The 0w spec flows almost identically to the 5w20 spec at low temps, probably better since it is a synoil, so any lagging concerns that I have about "fast oil pressure development" are put away.

If you plan to drive a lot, either Amsoil product is excellent - you cannot go wrong with any of the quality Group III/IV synlubes.

Last edited:

SVTyballz

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra'03
Both use PAO base stocks. The Series 2000 has a better additive package, both in terms of anti-wear, TBN, and all the the other indices of quality oil. It is designed to be used for a longer duration service life, than XL-7500. It has higher levels of zinc compounds (ZDP) and phosphorous, which provide best wear protection but can over very long time take out the catalytics prematurely.

I do not know the specifics of Ford specs, but we can infer that they are centered around the low viscosity of 5w20, and making sure that the Vis/SUS ratings are in the specifcation needed to meet EPA's strict guidelines for energy conserving oil - see my "expose" of same in previous threads. And, it will meet the low phosporous spec that is good for Ford, not so good for you.

Is it worth it? I cannot answer for you. XL-7500 is a fine lube, and will meet the "requirements" of Ford - it does not meet mine in the 5w20 for previously posted reasons. I generally use the best lube I can find and cost be damned - but I also will time out on the oil before I mile out, meaning ina year I will drive no more than 3000 miles. So it is perhaps smarter for me to use a lesser 5w30 Amsoil or Mobil 1 - but I have 2 gals of Series 2000 in the garage, so I have time to make a decision. The 0w spec flows almost identically to the 5w20 spec at low temps, probably better since it is a synoil, so any lagging concerns that I have about "fast oil pressure development" are put away.

If you plan to drive a lot, either Amsoil product is excellent - you cannot go wrong with any of the quality Group III/IV synlubes.

Thanks for the answers! So what you are saying is that even by changing every 3000 miles, the series 2000 will protect the engine better for that 3000 miles. Ok, now the bonus question: Driving a good mix of highway and city miles, about 1000-1200 miles a month, can I leave the series 2000 oil in for 5000 miles?? That would justify the cost, that is if the oil's protection qualities do not diminish in those 5000. Thanks again.

gary

SVTyballz

Established Member
Cool thanks alot. Series 2000 it is! You know yer stuff about oil. I knew I could count on you! You should do that for living. Oops you already did! hahahahaha later. Enjoy that Cobra!

gary

Users who are viewing this thread