Attn LEO: Question about MIP

94FiveOhCOBRA

*=Boobs Are Awesome=*
Established Member
Heres the deal. I was a party clear back in January 2003 and it was busted and the sherriffs asked everyones name that was drinking and the ones who said they hadn't were giving breath alyzers. I confessed told them that I had. Its September and some kids that were at that party are getting letters in the mail saying they need to appear in court. I haven't got mine yet...knock on wood...I was 19 at the time

Question I guess can you still be charged with something that happend like over 8 months ago?? Thanks

ROADWARRIORSVT

Established Member
Yes, depending on the charge, the "statute of limitations" probably has not run out yet.

(Statute of Limitations- the amount of time that has to pass before you can no longer be charged with a crime. This time varies from State to State and depending on the severity of the crime.)

Ginsu

Established Member
Yes you can but most likely you were not. I am not sure about other agencies but in mine the way we handle teen parties are to ask who has been drinking. If you are honest then it usually turns into a poaring out party and end of party. Those under the influence with a car get to have parents pick them up. Lie and make me dig then get charged.

Originally posted by 94FiveOhCOBRA
Heres the deal. I was a party clear back in January 2003 and it was busted and the sherriffs asked everyones name that was drinking and the ones who said they hadn't were giving breath alyzers. I confessed told them that I had. Its September and some kids that were at that party are getting letters in the mail saying they need to appear in court. I haven't got mine yet...knock on wood...I was 19 at the time

Question I guess can you still be charged with something that happend like over 8 months ago?? Thanks

94FiveOhCOBRA

*=Boobs Are Awesome=*
Established Member
Well I was honest with the officers unlike some of the ppl there. I told them that I had two beers and they were like ok whats your name and took my name as with the others that confessed. Mostly the guys confessed the girls tried to lie and were given breath-alyzers. They made us pour out the beer and called our parents. They didn't cite us a ticket or anything. They even let a friend of mine drive home after he had been drinking which I find total BS. I know I was wrong and I should have to pay for my actions. I just find it hard to believe that after 8 months, Happened Jan. 11th, 2003.

Don't they have to give you a ticket or citation that you were found drinking at teen parties?? We about 15 miles out of the town I live in and on land that was rented by a friends uncle. So we could have been charged with trespassing, but we weren't.

I got my summons to court today and it just says Minor In Possession of alchohol charge. Hopefully somebody can give me some answers on this.

Last edited:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
They performed an investigation over the last eight months and now are deciding to charge people. Simple as that!!

94FiveOhCOBRA

*=Boobs Are Awesome=*
Established Member
It takes them 8 months to investigate a underage drinkers?? Doesn't make since but guess we'll find out when we talk to sherriffs

FordSVTFan

Established Member
It can! It isnt the highest priority! There is no real time frame to complete a low priority investigation. You would have preferred this to happen before the summer? What exactly is your complaint? That they are bringing you in at all? You admitted your guilt, dont do the crime if you cant do the time.

Good luck

94FiveOhCOBRA

*=Boobs Are Awesome=*
Established Member
Originally posted by FordSVTFan
It can! It isnt the highest priority! There is no real time frame to complete a low priority investigation. You would have preferred this to happen before the summer? What exactly is your complaint? That they are bringing you in at all? You admitted your guilt, dont do the crime if you cant do the time.

Good luck

Guess your right:kaboom: ....just have to take the charge. Just wish it would have happened when I was working my ass off this summer and not since school is back into full swing. Guess I was just looking for a way to make it easier to swallow:bash:

Thanks

FordSVTFan

Established Member
Dude, it will be minor!! It is not going to be a big ordeal. Dont worry about it. Most likely a fine and maybe some community service.

94FiveOhCOBRA

*=Boobs Are Awesome=*
Established Member
Well I hope your right cuz the summons states as follows

Penalties:
Imprisonment: Not to exceed 1 month in jail
Fines: Not to exceed $500

does say anything about community service. :fm:

L.B.

el rey
Established Member
Bro...seriously...chill...those are just the maximums...it is probably being prosecuted as an infraction, not even a misdemeanor...it's about the same level as a traffic citation....

94FiveOhCOBRA

*=Boobs Are Awesome=*
Established Member
I'm just worried cuz this would be my second and LAST offense and afraid I won't be able to get diversion for this. Kansas is pretty strict on this. Oh well guess just wait till I'm 21 from now on.

stevieb

Established Member
Sucks being on that end of the stick huh? You think this ordeal is long? Imagine if you were sitting in a jail awaiting trial (for those reading this I dont mean sitting in jail for this offense, but had it been worse), I guarantee you'd would think differently about drinking and driving. Here in Calif they have about one of the most expensive drunken driving laws. Example: 1st offense of DUI will equate to $12k in fines and legal fees including insurance and thats just in the first year after the offense, not to mention the mandatory loss of your license.
I dont mean to rag on you, I dont know you but you seem responsible because you said you were honest with the cop, and you see what happened to your friends that lied to them. Let this be a lesson learned, it could have been a hellava lot worst. I have a son who will be 16 in Jan. Good luck to you, the judge will see you cooperated with the police, it will be in his report. So as you told the truth to the cop, do the same with the judge.

Ginsu

Established Member
Well from what I have read and it does turn out you were charged then thank those at the party that lied. If the cops had to dig then they had to charge everyone. To protect themselves and make the case stick against those who lied they had to charge everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread