audio guys...got a wiring question

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
right now i run two kicker 12'' solobarics powered by a kicker sx1250.1 amp. these subs are dual 4 ohm voice coils and i wired them positve to positve and then out and negative to negative and then out and bridged them at the amp..so what kind of power is each sub seeing right now??? but my real question is can i run my two current dual 4 ohm vc' subs and an extra dual 2ohm vc L7 all on the same 1250.1 amp???. im currently building a bigger box for my two L7's and i have two more L7's sitting in the closet so i figured id try and throw another one in there......would it be worth adding the third sub or should i just stay with the two dual 4 ohm vc subs?

bluepacecar

AKA CHRIS
Established Member
both subs are putting a 1ohm load on that amp. i dont think kicker amps can handle 1 ohm loads in bridge mono. if so then you will receive 600 per sub

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
thanks for the fast reply!!! i was just going over some wiring diagrams and yea the way i have them wired should be at 1 ohm stable at the amp for a true 1250 watts, correct? ive had these subs wired this way to this amp in two different setups and its been pounding ever since so i guess the amp can run at 1 ohm load......its been more than five years since ive messed around with this load/ohms stuff...so is it possible to run another L7 with dual 2ohm voice coil on this amp? would it be practicle?

N A Rush

Established Member
but my real question is can i run my two current dual 4 ohm vc' subs and an extra dual 2ohm vc L7 all on the same 1250.1 amp???.

Yes and No. It depends on how you wiring it in. However, you wont even be able to get a 3db increase. In order to get a 3db increase you would have to double the surface are, there by requiring a fourth sub.

im currently building a bigger box for my two L7's and i have two more L7's sitting in the closet so i figured id try and throw another one in there......would it be worth adding the third sub or should i just stay with the two dual 4 ohm vc subs?

I would stay with the 2 dual 4's.

Would you be installing these into an L? How much airspace is required for the subs? I find it hard to believe you can fit 4 of these into an with the correct airspace requirements...

both subs are putting a 1ohm load on that amp. i dont think kicker amps can handle 1 ohm loads in bridge mono. if so then you will receive 600 per sub

This is correct assuming he has the two subs in parallel, it was kinda hard to tell from his description.

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
I would stay with the 2 dual 4's.

Would you be installing these into an L? How much airspace is required for the subs? I find it hard to believe you can fit 4 of these into an with the correct airspace requirements...

i was asking if i could use three but im just going to use my current setup with two. with the new box im shooting for somewhere inbetween 1.5-2 cubes per sub

N A Rush

Established Member
i was asking if i could use three but im just going to use my current setup with two. with the new box im shooting for somewhere inbetween 1.5-2 cubes per sub

I would like to address your question again, but I have written it a couple of times. Each time is sounds as if I am coming off as a @$$. So please dont take it that way...

I believe my original answer was there is no perceived benefit to using a third sub. In order to benefit from the increase surface area (3db gain) you would have to double the surface area thereby requiring a fourth sub. (Thats where the 4th sub came into play).

4 Kicker L7s in 12" require between .88 - 2.0 ft3 of internal air volume. With the limited space the Lightning's present obtaining 8 cubic feet of air space is impractical.

You could reduce the internal air volume to the minimum requirement of .88 that still places total air volume at approximately 2.5 feet. In a Lightning it's do-able but extremely difficult. Then you have to deal with the side effect of a small enclosure, i.e. limited excursion of the cone.

If the cone is excursion limited it will be unable to move as much air. The more air the sub can move the louder the system will sound (higher SPL).

I am glad you decided to go with the 2 sub setup. With that setup you can create a larger sub enclosure and get more excursion from the sub and move as much air from the 2 subs as you would from 4 sub with limited volume.

The increase volume will as extend the low end frequency response, while not physically increasing SPL it does create a phycological effect of having done so...

Now the benefit of a smaller box is the increase damping effect it has on the cone. This damping effect allows the sub to transient sound more effectively. This is why a small box sounds better with Rock music while a larger box will sound better for Hip-Hop.

It all depends on the level of sound quality and the type of music you listen to. Not sure how old you are but I get the impression that you are younger that I, and younger people tend to like the bass louder which is why I recommend the 2 dual 4s.

1sweetSVT

too low
Established Member
I would like to address your question again, but I have written it a couple of times. Each time is sounds as if I am coming off as a @$$. So please dont take it that way...

I believe my original answer was there is no perceived benefit to using a third sub. In order to benefit from the increase surface area (3db gain) you would have to double the surface area thereby requiring a fourth sub. (Thats where the 4th sub came into play).

4 Kicker L7s in 12" require between .88 - 2.0 ft3 of internal air volume. With the limited space the Lightning's present obtaining 8 cubic feet of air space is impractical.

You could reduce the internal air volume to the minimum requirement of .88 that still places total air volume at approximately 2.5 feet. In a Lightning it's do-able but extremely difficult. Then you have to deal with the side effect of a small enclosure, i.e. limited excursion of the cone.

If the cone is excursion limited it will be unable to move as much air. The more air the sub can move the louder the system will sound (higher SPL).

I am glad you decided to go with the 2 sub setup. With that setup you can create a larger sub enclosure and get more excursion from the sub and move as much air from the 2 subs as you would from 4 sub with limited volume.

The increase volume will as extend the low end frequency response, while not physically increasing SPL it does create a phycological effect of having done so...

Now the benefit of a smaller box is the increase damping effect it has on the cone. This damping effect allows the sub to transient sound more effectively. This is why a small box sounds better with Rock music while a larger box will sound better for Hip-Hop.

It all depends on the level of sound quality and the type of music you listen to. Not sure how old you are but I get the impression that you are younger that I, and younger people tend to like the bass louder which is why I recommend the 2 dual 4s.

good info:thumbsup:....naw i didnt take offense to anything you were saying just thought you misunderstood. with the box im building i might have enough airspace for three L7's but def not four. since i wouldnt gain much with three ill just stick with the two and give them more air.

Users who are viewing this thread