Austin P.D.

Evileyes

Established Member
I'm in week six of the Austin, Tx P.D. Acadamy, and loving it. It's tough, lots of law material I never knew even existed. Just wanted to share. 26 more weeks to go. SWEEEEEEEEEETTTTTT.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Study hard, pay attention to officer survival lectures and training scenarios and above all --

Good Luck!!!! :thumbsup:

1stmustang

Established Member
Evileyes,

I moved from Austin to Chicago 8 years ago. I have 2 very good friends in the Austin PD and many other casual ones. I was very close to becoming an officer in Austin myself. You have just joined what I believe to be one of the best police departments in the nation. Good luck.

rb22886

Established Member
26 weeks?!?! At the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy its 9 full weeks. Highway Patrol is 16 weeks. I never knew that would be that long over there. Learn something new everyday. Good Luck man! :coolman:

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Lawman85 said:
Heyyyy..... watch it FordSVTFan, my academy was 10 weeks!! The academy we host for our department is 22 weeks now I believe...

I sure hope that included a large amount of time with a T.O.!

I went to the sheriff's academy in 1989 and it was 21 weeks.

I went to Federal Law Enforcement Training Center and it was just under 26 weeks.

rb22886

Established Member
FordSVTFan said:
South Carolina = 9 weeks That answers a bunch of questions :uh oh:

I'm not trying to start anything, but its like what evileyes said... all states are different.

rb22886

Established Member
Evileyes said:
Austin acadamy is 32 weeks long, then 3 months with an FTO, then a one year probhation period. Go figure.

South Carolina is 9 weeks long, then 4 weeks with one FTO and then another 4 weeks with a different FTO and then 1 week with investigations, and 1 week with dispatch. Then your on your own. :coolman:

TXRickC

Established Member
there is an '03 cobra owner who is an Round Rock PD officer, he's a pretty cool guy.

I'd just wish DPS would back off a little on the front plate law. They seem to be the only ones who really enforce this one.

Evileyes

Established Member
My uncle is DPS out in west Texas, if you're in violation of any traffic law you are pretty much getting a ticket. About Austin SVT'ers, if all goes well and I make it to graduation I'll be nice within reason.

LightningFast00

673/753 pump gas
Established Member
My academy in Raleigh was 26 weeks, and then 20 weeks of FTO... I have been at it for 8 years now... Welcome to the family... BTW, SC is more than 9 weeks, that would only be 360 hours, and I don't know of any state with that few hours mandated by their Training and Standards division. Academy's in NC have to be a minimum of like 580 hours. I went through over 1,000 hours at RPD.

Users who are viewing this thread